The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Suggestions PLEASE! for footing around barn???

Please tell me what ground covering you have around your barn!!!!
    We have dirt(dust, mud) and want different ideas to toss around.
    THANKS!!!

We have 5/8 minus rocks around our barn. It compacts nicely, is decent footing for the horses to walk on, and mud is no longer a problem. It does have to be replenished occasionally as the rocks get pushed down into the ground and the dirt works it way back up to the top!

My stalls open to paddocks and they used to get really bad when it rained really hard and the water overshot the gutters by about 5 feet! I had a road base put down about 20-30' out. It's basically large stones graduating up to smaller stones and finally a stone dust layer. About every 2-3 yrs I top the surface with about 2-4" of stone dust. It's FANTASTIC! No mud or dust.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I do wish something worked here - we been fighting mud around the bins forever as this stuff sucks down three truckloads a year. I just fight the mess by the barn as it just sucks down anything smaller than boulders in short order. Have a secondary wet weather path to the water tank, so I can live with it.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Have to say "GEO TEXTILE FABRIC" here. It is a light, nylon felt looking material, see thru in places. Easy to cut with knife or scissors, easy to carry or lay out. Do wide overlaps of pieces to keep material in place while covering or moving fill dirt above.

You need to scrape and prepare the surface, level or angle for draining. Get old mucky stuff off, down to solid dirt. Then lay out the fabric, and put on the fill of choice. Fabric prevents the fill from being eaten by the dirt or mud below, keeps the layers separated, so they each do their jobs. We put quite deep layers on, to cover fabric and protect it, gives better drainage with depth to our fill layer. Have used both road type gravel mixes and various stone dust type fills, both work fine over the fabric. Just have to be a bit deep, so wear does not expose the fabric, allows better settling as you compress the dirt or stone with use, by walking or driving on the fill.

We went thru that refill stuff for YEARS, dirt ate multiple truckloads of fill. After a year the paddocks were mucky messes again. Our clay base dirt was always hungry!

We found out about the fabric, here on COTH! Could not purchase locally, so we did a search, found a seller and bought a whole roll, 14ft wide. Then had it shipped home, looked like a rug! Not really that expensive to have shipped, dropped off at the door with a semi. I could carry the whole roll.

We now have run the fabric under the gates, down the lane to the pasture, under the parking area for the trucks. Amazing stuff, all those footing locations are solid, have been since the installation of fabric years ago. No more having to pull the semi out of spring mud!!

You might check your local landscape places for fabric. Some of the Box stores sell it in narrow pieces for home jobs. Otherwise do a search to find a seller. Can't remember who we bought from, roll is large, still using off it.

Concrete and then gravel. The concrete extends maybe eight or nine feet from the stable fronts.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Ever heard of using crushed oyster shells? Not oystershells the way people around here use in driveways, but crushed at a grinding mill?.... Mount Vernon uses this, but we can't find who will grind it...i know you can buy it by the bag at most feed stores, obviously not cost effective!
    But didn't know if anyone had experience with this???
    I just can't find something that is cost effective, looks nice and is effective in reducing dust!

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Have to say "GEO TEXTILE FABRIC" here. It is a light, nylon felt looking material, see thru in places. Easy to cut with knife or scissors, easy to carry or lay out. Do wide overlaps of pieces to keep material in place while covering or moving fill dirt above.

You need to scrape and prepare the surface, level or angle for draining. Get old mucky stuff off, down to solid dirt. Then lay out the fabric, and put on the fill of choice. Fabric prevents the fill from being eaten by the dirt or mud below, keeps the layers separated, so they each do their jobs. We put quite deep layers on, to cover fabric and protect it, gives better drainage with depth to our fill layer. Have used both road type gravel mixes and various stone dust type fills, both work fine over the fabric. Just have to be a bit deep, so wear does not expose the fabric, allows better settling as you compress the dirt or stone with use, by walking or driving on the fill.

We went thru that refill stuff for YEARS, dirt ate multiple truckloads of fill. After a year the paddocks were mucky messes again. Our clay base dirt was always hungry!

We found out about the fabric, here on COTH! Could not purchase locally, so we did a search, found a seller and bought a whole roll, 14ft wide. Then had it shipped home, looked like a rug! Not really that expensive to have shipped, dropped off at the door with a semi. I could carry the whole roll.

We now have run the fabric under the gates, down the lane to the pasture, under the parking area for the trucks. Amazing stuff, all those footing locations are solid, have been since the installation of fabric years ago. No more having to pull the semi out of spring mud!!

You might check your local landscape places for fabric. Some of the Box stores sell it in narrow pieces for home jobs. Otherwise do a search to find a seller. Can't remember who we bought from, roll is large, still using off it.
    This with pea gravel over it would work for you, I think. It drains well, which means no standing water, is non-slip, and is easy to maintain.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebmik View Post
    Please tell me what ground covering you have around your barn!!!!
    We have dirt(dust, mud) and want different ideas to toss around.
    THANKS!!!
    We have stone dust and it works great, but we also made certain that any and all drainage issues were taken care of before we put in a single load. Unless the drainage is good most everything will wash away quickly.

We have a extensive system of drainage underground all over the barn area to pull water away. Luckily my DH works for a public road and highway contractor and does this sort of thing daily
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

How about wood chips?
    Would you have to put landscaping timbers around to keep them from running off or would they be heavy enough to stay put?
    the Dust is KILLING ME!L!!!!

I tried wood chips with landscape fabric under. Weeds grew up thru the chips,and roots down into the fabric.

Not good.

L

Plus, the wood chips would decompose and make more mud and might be slippery. I have coarse gravel in front of my shedrow stalls and it works well. I do end up scooping up some of the smaller stones ( in it) when I pick poop, though.