The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Custom Tack Boxes - Where to Find Bit Box?

Does anyone know who manufactures bit boxes? I've only ever seen one and I can't remember who made it. It was a smaller tack box with a top lid that was on hinges. Inside, all the bits hung on a piece of removeable dowling (circular piece of wood) which made sliding the bits on and off very easy. They all hung neatly when not in use.

Much better than the bucket that I currently have all my bits tangled up in right now.

Anyone know where to find such a thing?

Thanks!

Google oakcroft or phoenix west. Both make bit boxes, and both run several hundred dollars, so be prepared to spend some serious $$ for what amounts to a very small box.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Default Bit box

We use McGuinn Trunks out of Ft. Lauderdale. They're really nice on the inside besides the outside.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

McGuinn's are gorgeous (and pricey.)

I had mine made by Oakcroft because they will customize their products and I wanted a very specific arrangement for mine. I wanted a small box with the dowels on one side and a small tray on the other. It's useful to have somewhere to put all the little "extra" stuff (like keepers for the full cheeks, a tin of polish, etc.)

I've had mine for years now and it's held up beautifully.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bit box interior small.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	26834  
    Last edited by Lucassb; Oct. 4, 2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Added photo
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

That's a great looking bit box, Lucas. Love the tray.
    Wedonit
    Ch. G, 2000
    Stalwars x Theydonittoknight

Quote Originally Posted by Wedonit View Post
    That's a great looking bit box, Lucas. Love the tray.
    Thanks! I like it too; the tray is really useful.

Oakcroft is great for stuff like this, IMO... they did it so the outside matches my regular trunk, which makes for a prettier setup:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bit box outside.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	26838  
    -PaulaEdwina

your local wal mart or drug store has plenty of small rubbermaid bins and mini plastic stacked drawers... this is our "custom bit box" ... i mean, you can put the pelhams on the top drawer and the d's in the middle and what ever on the bottom, right? totally custom

on a more serious note: Oakcroft makes really lovely ones. We're just kind of cheap.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I do not own one personally, but these are my favorites that I have seen:
    http://www.stableoutfitters.com/bitbox.html
    -Grace

I'd love a bit box for my never ending bit collection. Too bad I'm cheap! That was a good idea, lucas. Feel free to send it to ny! Lol

I can personally attest to the customer service at Oakcroft- just had them make 2 large trunks for me, and they turned them around in about 2 weeks! If the bit box is something you truly can't live without, then Oakcroft is a great company with super employees.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Default Just what I need

Not.

But Lucassb, nice design with the tray. But let me get technical such that I could possibly justify buying one:

These are built so that a 5" or 5.5"-er hangs down but doesn't scrape the bottom?

I suppose some funky shanked things could go underneath the tray?

How do you like getting a middle bit off of one of the dowels?

I liked the StableOutfitters one The Orange One posted. However, I'd be worried about the roll-out rack once it was fully packed. Bits (and their trunks) get very heavy when they travel as a mob.
    Last edited by mvp; Oct. 4, 2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: if I could write....
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

You may want to try: http://www.thetrunkman.com/index.html
    All of this man's trunks are gorgeous. He is local in my area. Not sure of prices though.

Wow, love the bit boxes!
    I'd get one, except I really need more of a bit closet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by who22 View Post
    You may want to try: http://www.thetrunkman.com/index.html
    All of this man's trunks are gorgeous. He is local in my area. Not sure of prices though.
    My bit box is from him as well. I especially like that he lines the bottom of his trunks with linoleum it makes cleaning really easy.
    Last edited by meganp; Oct. 4, 2009 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Not.

But Lucassb, nice design with the tray. But let me get technical such that I could possibly justify buying one:

These are built so that a 5" or 5.5"-er hangs down but doesn't scrape the bottom?
    Correct; there is about an inch of clearance between the lowest hanging bit and the bottom of the trunk.

I suppose some funky shanked things could go underneath the tray?
    Yep, I'm sure you could do that, although the only bit I don't like to hang on the dowels is a three ring, which I just stick in the tray - you can see it in the first pic I posted, I think.

I use the space under the tray for my nice leather open fronts/ankle boots, and a couple of "extra" things (a figure 8 noseband, martingale, etc - stuff I rarely use but like to have on hand.)

How do you like getting a middle bit off of one of the dowels?
    It's not a big deal; I lift the dowel up, pull the top X number of bits off, grab the one I want, and slide the others back on.

I liked the StableOutfitters one The Orange One posted. However, I'd be worried about the roll-out rack once it was fully packed. Bits (and their trunks) get very happy when they travel as a mob.
    Yep, I agree with you.

My current barn's tackroom is outfitted with that company's tack armoires. I have to say... I really hate them and wish we could have a normal tack room with normal trunks. Those things look nice, but are a real PITA to work out of, even at home. JMHO
    -PaulaEdwina

Oh, man, that's all I needed. More trunk websites to drool over! Where's my lotto ticket?

I just bought a dowel rod, cut it to the appropriate length, and hung my bits off of it while it lays on the "tracks" that my sliding tray is on. Works super fab, but I "only" have about 15 bits.

Thanks for this thread (sarcasm) I have been coveting a bit box for years! Love the custom box with the tray. Should have bought one before I quit my job.

Default Doing the math

Here's the problem with a bit box: If it's very small or you don't have many seriously custom bits, then the damned box is worth more than its contents. Nice. The numbers work out better for tack trunks as they get larger-- at least that's how I rationalize the $900 box.

Lucassb-- what's it like to work out of an armoire-type thing each day? I have never worked from one, but I did notice that they were the new trend for awhile. Are you trying to say that I shouldn't get a $1,200 box?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Not trying to talk you out of a bit box, but just wanted to make you aware that full they are HEAVY. Often much heavier than anticipated!