The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog Proof cat feeder

I need one. In this particular room I have nothing high to place cat bowls.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=29420170

Cool idea-does anyone have any ideas on how to make a homemade version?

Actually a dog gate with a cat door would also work. I have seen several but they are pricey

Yes, that's cool, but you could do the same thing by putting a cat door in any door that you keep closed.

For instance, we put a cat door in our laundry room. (The cat door is on an internal door between our kitchen and our laundry room.) All the cat's stuff is in the laundry room: her food, her water, her bed, her litter box. She can come and go as she pleases, but the dogs can't get into the laundry room. (Of course we keep the laundry room door closed.)

It's a cat creep feeder!!

You could just take a medium sized cat carrier or a small dog crate and a pair of heavy wire cutters. Cut cat-sized hole in side. Ta-da!

I did the same with a wire baby gate.

Or if your dogs are larger, put a baby gate in a door about 6" off the ground so cat can go under it but dog can't.

Or get a Rubbermaid or similar container, cut a hole that's big enough for kitty but not for the dog.

I only have 1 cat & 1 dog (for now), but I actually put the cat dish under the dogs raised feeder. It's just one of the plastic raised feeders from Walmart (I think Petmate brand), but it has just enough room underneath to hide the cat dish. It's funny seeing the dog eating with a cat tail sticking out between his front legs...
    Cindy

We use a large animal carrier. Take it apart, and place the filled cat feeding tank in the carrier. Replace the lid and screw it down to the frame. Take off the grate door and replace it over the opening so it covers it by 2/3 or a little more. Pass some baling twine through the grating on each side and tie it to the carrier. Place carrier on the floor, with a dish of water close by.

I have an extra bathroom that I made the "kitty area". I took a babygate the just locks against the walls with pressure, and cut a small hole in the plastic meshing. Kitty can get to her food and box and doggie can't.

My kitty is a 17 y.o. abbysinian and her legs aren't what they used to be. At one time her food was on the dryer, but I was afraid she'd hurt herself trying to get up there, so I moved the food bowl to the bathroom.

When we had invisible fencing installed, we inadvertantly discovered that there is one spot in our house where the wire is so close to the house that the dog gets zapped inside So that's where we put the cat dish

Before that, we had a dog crate containing the litter box in a corner against 1 wall, with the opening facing the other wall. There is about a 1.5 foot space between the dog crate and the other wall, and the cat food goes there. We put a chair in front of the cat food, between the wall and the dog crate, so the chair blocks access to the cat food and the opening to the litter box. A little ugly, but it works!

Quote Originally Posted by pony89 View Post
    When we had invisible fencing installed, we inadvertantly discovered that there is one spot in our house where the wire is so close to the house that the dog gets zapped inside So that's where we put the cat dish
    Somewhat OT, but I knew a woman that had invisible fence installed inside her house to keep the Corgis from going into the living room. Unfortunately, her house also had 2 sets of stairs (old farm/estate house) one of which went down into the living room. The Corgis, being Corgis, figured out that they could go up the back stairs, across the house, and down the front stairs, and they were too far away from the wire to get shocked!

I suppose you could Invisible Fence the cat dish on purpose...

the kitchen counter (away from the edge). Or the mantle over the fireplace.