The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default debating a temporary switch

so I ended up taking my first jumping lesson and I loved it. I went to a barn with lesson horses and the trainer put me on a spunky 20something lesson horse who was very well behaved. I realized my riding skills don't suck as much as I thought. I have been only riding my 4 yo last year or so and keep feeling like I can't ride, but riding a trained horse for a change made all the difference. Plus jumping was fun! Im now debating if I should take my 4yo dressage horse to a jumping trainer for a couple of months. ideas about that?

My first instinct was to say no because made that nicely broke jumper great was probably..... dressage, or at least being well trained on the flat! So you are actually doing the right thing to have your young horse where he is.

Your young horse and you are probably doing the best you guys can together and you wouldn't magically feel like you rode that horse better if you switched trainers.

If, on the other hand, you don't understand what your dressage trainer is having you do, or you think your horse doesn't "get it" by all means, try something different.

But many people find that they enjoy (or even need) to alternate between their young horses and rides on a "made one." Can your schedule and your wallet let you take a couple of lessons a month with the jumper trainer?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat