The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How did you find someone to lease your horse?

I was wondering what different avenues people have used to find someone to lease their horse(s)? I have posted an ad on craigslist and posted a flier up at the barn that I am moving my horse to, but I haven't had any response. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to advertise a horse for lease?

If anyone has any advice on leasing out a horse that would be helpful as well. I have insurance on the horse such as MM and death. Is there anything else that I should do or get to protect me and the horse? In my 20 plus years of riding I have never leased or leased out a horse, but until May of 1010 I will be very busy teaching,6th grade math, and in grad school full time. I hate to see my girl sitting around doing nothing. BTW she is 5 yr old gray H/J. So she is a good age and is pretty its just that she is 15.3 hands...not 16. I think that if she was 16 hands or even a gelding I would probably have a easier time trying to find someone to lease her. She isn't marish. I haven't had any calls or emails. So any suggestions as to where to find someone to lease her will be very helpful.

Any advice will be helpful. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wshfulthinkn View Post
    I was wondering what different avenues people have used to find someone to lease their horse(s)? I have posted an ad on craigslist and posted a flier up at the barn that I am moving my horse to, but I haven't had any response. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to advertise a horse for lease?

If anyone has any advice on leasing out a horse that would be helpful as well. I have insurance on the horse such as MM and death. Is there anything else that I should do or get to protect me and the horse? In my 20 plus years of riding I have never leased or leased out a horse, but until May of 1010 I will be very busy teaching,6th grade math, and in grad school full time. I hate to see my girl sitting around doing nothing. BTW she is 5 yr old gray H/J. So she is a good age and is pretty its just that she is 15.3 hands...not 16. I think that if she was 16 hands or even a gelding I would probably have a easier time trying to find someone to lease her. She isn't marish. I haven't had any calls or emails. So any suggestions as to where to find someone to lease her will be very helpful.

Any advice will be helpful. Thanks.
    Lots of h/j people find horses to lease through their trainers, so if you haven't mailed your flyer to the local h/j trainers, posted it at the tack shops, etc . . . then you haven't done enough to get the word out to your target market. Also, you say your mare is 5 - what is her level of training? Is she far enough along to be marketable as a lease horse? Not much reason for someone to take on a green lease horse and put the work into it, only to have to hand it back over to the owner - that's why you usually see people leasing the been there done that types, where it really benefits the rider. 15.3 isn't a deal-breaker if she has a big enough stride to make it down the lines without looking like it is a big effort. Mostly, however, it sounds like you haven't done enough to get the word out to the right market - personally, craigslist is not where I'd go to find someone to be responsible for my horse (JMO), so think about what type of potential lessee you are trying to reach and get the word out a little more than you have so far to give yourself more chances for a match. Also, are you looking for a lease fee or just someone to take on the expenses? Make sure the price you are asking matches the horse's experience as that will obviously affect the response you get too.

Ditto double checking the price matches the horses ability and things like that.

Most of mine were word of mouth through trainer networking but some were from interested parties approaching me directly after watching me show the horse (true for both sales and leases). I found a few lease situations for my horses via my vet as well. He knows everything that's going on in the area and knows my horses super well (they live at his house) and was able to find some really perfect matches for a few of them in the past. It's always easier to get a horse noticed when it's actively showing and 'out there' for people to see. It costs money but getting a good local pro (or you if you have the time) to take her in a few schooling shows or possibly AA shows if your wallet allows it isn't a bad idea.

My guess is that you'll have a lot more interest once your horse is there and people can walk past her stall and get the chance to see her go and meet you.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.