The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Roller Motion Shoes

Anyone had these put on your horse? I posted a couple days ago about my new mare being on and off lame over the summer and had vet out to x-ray. He found mild ringbone.

He's going to inject the joint this week and also suggested I have my farrier apply "roller motion shoes" to help in breakover. I did a search but found only a few posts on them. Anyone use these? What was your horse's issue? Are they $$$$? And most importantly, did they work?

Thanks!

Another question - How is it that when I finally steer away from the delicate thoroughbred to a draft cross with the idea that I won't have any lameness issues or need shoes, that now I have a lame horse that needs special shoes?
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

Well, ringbone isn't exactly your run of the mill lameness issue. In a draft X you're a lot more likely to see issues stemming from metabolic issues--which can be managed. I'm sorry you're going through this.

I'm not personally familiar with "roller shoes"....I do understand the concept of bringing the breakover back, but that can be accomplished in several different ways--including barefoot. If you're BRAVE...you might post pics of your horse's feet and see what opinions you get. There are several very talented farriers and trimmers on this board--but there are also a handful of kooks...so you have to take it all with a grain of salt and do your research if something looks useful.

Best wishes to you and your horse!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by Fessy's Mom View Post
    Anyone had these put on your horse?
    I apply them quite often. Is the ringbone articular or peri-articular? Which joint?
    He's going to inject the joint this week and also suggested I have my farrier apply "roller motion shoes" to help in breakover. I did a search but found only a few posts on them.
    Go to www.horseshoes.com and use the search feature. There is a substantial amount written about them. In particular, check out the posts by Ron Aalders.
    Heres a link to get you started. http://www.horseshoes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2759 Start reading with post #3.
    Are they $$$$? And most importantly, did they work?
    It depends.
    Another question - How is it that when I finally steer away from the delicate thoroughbred to a draft cross with the idea that I won't have any lameness issues or need shoes, that now I have a lame horse that needs special shoes?
    Drafters are quite prone to ringbone issues.

My draft cross mare has ringbone also, not what my vet considers to be hugely significant, but there are changes in her xrays. My farrier rolls her toe and sets her shoe back to make her breakover a bit quicker and this has helped her a great deal.

We've successfully rehabbed two horses with navicular changes back to soundness using roller shoes. I personally like them much better than eggbars. However, I have had no experience with them for ringbone. They run about $50 per pair plus labor ($90 for fronts)
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Are you sure the vet said the farrier put "roller shoes" or that the farrier "roll" the shoes?

Rick, are the the same as, or similar to, or altogether different from banana shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Are you sure the vet said the farrier put "roller shoes" or that the farrier "roll" the shoes?
    That's what I thought, too.

Somehow, we've gotten my horse with both ringbone (due to injury) and heel pain (quite likely advanced navicular) sound with rocked and rolled shoes. Right now he has Grand Circuit T shoes, and he is very sound and happy. I have had a lot of concerns that he wouldn't ever come sound, but, if you saw him now you'd never know.

Some info on the Grand Circuit T shoe:
    http://www.wagonmound.com/shoes1_a.html

http://www.horseshoes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1280

Good luck.

Buddy - thanks but I'll pass on posting pics. I love you all dearly, but that prospect scares the crap outta me.

Rick - that's the article I found when I googled "roller motion shoes". Regarding JB's question, I assume they're the same as the "banana shoes". Is this correct?

draftgirl - I'll be honest and say that I was hoping that something like you mention would work for my girl also - sounds a whole lot less spendy.

dani - thank you for sharing your success story. I'm so glad they worked for you.

Bluey - yup - I made him repeat it and I wrote it down. He wants my farrier to call him if he has any questions about them.

FatPalomino - those are pretty interesting looking shoes! I'll ask about those as well. Thank you!

I'm giving my farrier a call tomorrow to see what he thinks.

Also, I was in such denial that it could be ringbone that I couldn't get my brain past that it was low ringbone to ask him if it involved the joint or not. I also don't know what he plans on injecting her with - HA, a steroid, or both. I"ll be sure to get all the details when he comes out this week.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Rick, are the the same as, or similar to, or altogether different from banana shoes?
    A full roller motion shoe is the same thing as a banana shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Fessy's Mom View Post

FatPalomino - those are pretty interesting looking shoes! I'll ask about those as well. Thank you!
    If you like the T-shoe, then you should take a look at the EDSS package. http://www.hopeforsoundness.com/edss.../lameprod.html

The advantage to the EDSS is that the rails are adjustable in height so can be more precisely 'tuned' to your horse's individual needs.. However , the system doesn't lend itself to modification into a full roller motion configuration which may not be necessary when the system is applied by someone who knows what they are doing and is familiar with the protocols.

You might also want to look into the Natural Balance PLR shoe. http://www.hopeforsoundness.com/edss...fprod.html#PLR

Many years ago, we had a horse with ringbone on one foot, from an injury.
    At that time, they had started using shock wave treatments for that, but the results were not conclusive enough for our vets to recommend it.
    I have since heard some here and there, but don't know where they stand.

You may want to ask your vet about that, if anything came out of it.

For what I know, ringbone is such a catch all diagnosis that you need to be considerably more specific to see where the problems may be, how involved and so what may help.

I am sure that is what your vet already did, so pick his brain and look at the x rays yourself.

My horse has Morston rocker shoes or also known as roller motion shoes. They have an upward swoop on the toe so that when the toe his the shoe automatically rolles foward. He has them on currently to help with a corn/heel issue. It keeps all the pressure off his heels because when the foot comes down it immediately rolls forward. I love them he went from DEAD lame without them to 100% sound after having his heels floated and the rocker shoe put on.

My cost is 50 dollars for a pair of shoes.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post

You might also want to look into the Natural Balance PLR shoe. http://www.hopeforsoundness.com/edss...fprod.html#PLR
    FWIW, my horse became a cripple in these shoes. The real problem seemed to be in the application- I tried using a specialty farrier that came highly recommended and that would travel to us (we haul an hour to the usual specialty farrier). The shoes appeared quite short at the initial application to my undereducated eye and only a few weeks later, the horse's heel pain (which had been under control for some time) returned with vengeance. The vet and farrier gasped when they saw his heels were just hanging off the back of the shoe a few inches. I guess not all certifiable farriers can do a good job

My usual specialty farrier (and our vet) re-assessed him, and thought he really needed the Grand Circuit T shoes, although they are pricey. The difference is amazing. He feels great.

We can't (reasonably) inject my horse, because of the location of his old injury. But, so far, so good. Oh, and we also started with a subluxated P2. And have a serviceably sound horse now.

Good luck OP. There is hope.

I'm not a farrier, but a reasonably educated owner whose horse with mild ringbone conspired with his excellent farrier to make me a believer.

There are different kinds of "roller motion" shoes-- some that offer a wedge that comprises about the front 1/3 of the shoe, some whose wedge is less.

Grand Circuit makes several models. The banana shaped kind have heels that rise up, too. I'm not sure which kinds of problems these would help. It seems to me that it would make the foot and leg really unstable for the initial- and weight-bearing part of the stride.

I'm not a fan of people setting other kinds of shoes back (or really far back) and claiming they'll do what a Grand Circuit shoe will do. Looking at these thick aluminum shoes, I don't see how a thinner shoe can possibly create a front that tapers "up" to the extent that the GC does. If I'm wrong, can someone explain?

By the way, if y'all are paying $50 for a pair of Grand Circuits, you are paying a tad too much, even if your farrier has them shipped one pair at a time.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Opps it is the Morrison Rocker shoe I got his name wrong.

http://www.soundhorse.com/morrisonshoes.htm this is what my guy has except in the nail on version.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

I've heard great things about the SM shoe, too.

For giggles, how much does anyone pay for application/installation and trimming of the GC shoe, trims only on back.... with or without equipack or something else so the foot doesn't want to collapse or fall through.

And, because life imitates art, I'm now wearing a pair of these.

http://us.mbt.com/Home/Benefits.aspx

And for those of you who prefer hoof boots, there is even a pair of these shoes that uses the Boa boot approach for tightening the cables, errrr, laces. They even call it it "Boa"