The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Breeches Spinoff: FITS White Breeches

I wore my FITS white breeches for the dressage phase at Jump Start. It was raining and they got quite dirty. I have washed them in Woolite, with a soak cycle. I have washed them with Leather Therapy wash and conditioner. Neither worked. I called FITS and the only suggestion that they had was to take them to the dry cleaners and have them put dry cleaning solution on the stains, while trying to keep it off of the deerskin. My dry cleaner would not do it, because she was afraid of ruining the deerskin. Right now, they are going to her leather cleaner person, who may or may not be able to clean them.

Those breeches were way too expensive to be this hard to get clean! My tropical riders extended patch breeches have always washed really well. I have only ridden in the white FITS three times. Before riding in the rain at Jump Start, they cleaned up nicely.

Has anyone else had this problem with their white FITS? If so, then how did you get them clean?

I don't have your answer, but I do have a question. My friend has been looking for white breeches that are not so see through. Are the FITS pretty thick? She tried the new Pikeur and Ariat, both seemed transparent.
    It is time to replace her very old pair of white breeches, back from the days the material was a little less revealing!
    Thanks

My mother is one of the worst laundry-doers on the planet, my sister is sponsored by FITS and I have never seen Sara's white ones NOT get clean, and she rides a black dressage saddle-- let me call DM and find out how she gets them white again!!!
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Auburn-- your answer should be forthcoming from the expert FITS washing lady-- she even managed to get the black dye from Sara's new reins that bled all over her white FITS out!!!!!
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Yes, the FITS are thicker, so are not transparent. That is one of the reasons that I spent the big bucks. Also, they don't fall down and give you a saggy crotch, like other full seats have done on me. I had almost given up finding a full seat that didn't sag.

Pinkdiamondracing,

You are the best! Hopefully, you DM will have a suggestion. If I can get them clean, they may have to become "fair weather breeches".

I spot clean the fabric with spray and wash, rinse and then throw them in the washer with Woolite. I am not skimpy on the amount of Woolite. I do wash them on a more gentle cycle, but I have been know to use the heavy clean too. Sometimes I rinse them twice if I used a lot of Woolite. Hang to dry.

The green slime, black die, and mud stain have all come right out. I have never tried the dry cleaners so don't know how they turn out there.

Yes, the FITS are thick and nothing shows through them.

Note to self...wear the beige breeches next time it rains.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

I pre-treat, then I (gasp) wash w/ regular detergent. I then treat the leather immediately when the breeches come out (and are still wet). Never had a problem.
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

I also wash mine in regular detergent and even use Clorox 2 (never bleach, though). I wear them frequently and always wash with regular detergent. I have three pairs, and the two schooling pairs get washed at least 1x per week. I have had no problems and have had them about a year. I don't treat the leather or anything, and I just hang them to dry. They're still in great shape.

The important thing with stains is to pretreat and wash ASAP. I would try some stain pretreaters (Shout or Stain Stick) on the stains and wash them with a regular detergent. All is my favorite, but I've also had success with Wisk. Tide works really well, too, but I'm allergic to it.

Quote Originally Posted by LovinRocky View Post
    I don't have your answer, but I do have a question. My friend has been looking for white breeches that are not so see through. Are the FITS pretty thick? She tried the new Pikeur and Ariat, both seemed transparent.
    It is time to replace her very old pair of white breeches, back from the days the material was a little less revealing!
    Thanks
    They are very thick and not at all transparent. They are actually the only white breeches I've ever tried that AREN'T see-through.

I wash my FITS and all breeches with leather seats or knee patches (as well as my Mattes pads and other sheepskin stuff) in Pert Plus two-in-one shampoo plus conditioner. Works great - gets the clothes clean and keeps leather and wool like new. And it's CHEAP.

Yay! I will try these suggestions and (hopefully) save the $25 it was going to cost to send them to the leather cleaner person. I have until next Thursday to try the suggestions.

Since the FITS were so expensive, I was afraid to try anything other than what it says on the label. When the folks at FITS did not have a better solution ( except the cleaners), I figured that someone on COTH could help me.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I will let you know what works.

I actually found that I couldn't get the fabric clean at all using Leather Therapy. So, I use regular detergent and occasionally treat the leather while still damp with the LT conditioner stuff.

I always keep a bottle of Shout with me at shows and spray spots on breeches, saddle pads, etc. right away so it's not such a PITA to clean later.

I posted a few weeks ago about dyeing breeches. . . why because I wore my FITTs breeches in the pouring rain, got filthy dirty and could not get the dirt out. I ended up dyeing them blue and not with good results. I am now looking for a professional dye person.

I will not wear white breeches again and wil not buy white Fitts, too expensive. Although I loved the fact that they are thick and not see through.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Have you tried Oxyclean?

My favorite white cotton show shirt got dyed from my black jacket liner during the dressage at Jump Start. Washed that sucker 3 times to no avail. At least it can be soaked in bleach as a last resort, though!

Also ruined the nap on my black velvet show helmet, and my beige show breeches have diagonal black lines across the thighs from the bottom hem of my jacket... ARGGGGG!!!

I tried everything including oxy.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Default Pert Plus?

- Now that is one I haven't heard before! How much do you use per wash?

Pert Plus?
    - Now that is one I haven't heard before! How much do you use per wash?
    That's because it's hair shampoo!
    "We don't ride the clock. We ride the horse." Reiner Klimke.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/arnikaelf

OK. I have now tried using all of the suggestions, to no avail. The breeches are now on their sixth wash cycle. I am now trying GooGone, Dawn with Oxyclean and Tide. If that doesn't work, then I am going to try Simple Green. There has to be some way to get these breeches clean!