The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun. 10, 2001
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    8,792

    Default BUA discussion

    here is a link to a website with an article written by a 'recovering' BUAtista. she invites comments so i thought maybe some folks here would like to engage in the discussion:

    http://clickandtrim.com/index.php?op...d=70&Itemid=77
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2001
    Posts
    15,232

    Default

    Now that surely won't cause a trainwreck.

    FWIW, Kim has a few typos that she may want to address-the most glaring is the misuse of "than" when it should be "then"



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec. 12, 2005
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    3,122

    Default

    w.o.w. Now that's professional.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug. 28, 2006
    Posts
    10,000

    Default

    Wouldn't it be BUAista, not BUAtista.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 8, 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    676

    Default

    The whole idea of us vs. them, farrier vs. trimmer is ridiculous. Who cares? If Kim wants to be a farrier she should quit worrying so much about people who want to trim only. I think a little less time writing dumb articles and a little more time learning how to farriery would do her some good.
    Eric Russell CJF



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug. 28, 2006
    Posts
    10,000

    Default

    Amen to that!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,927

    Default

    I wonder, why would I use someone that only knows how to trim, because our horses have always been barefoot most of the time, when the one rare ocassion a horse needs shoes then I have to call someone else to put a set of shoes on?

    How would that farrier feel, a regular farrier, that trims only more than he shoes, as that is what most do around here, if that is the only time and horse I call him for?

    I rather have someone tending to our horse's feet all around, trimming practically all the time, but that can add a set of shoes the rare time such is needed.
    He knows our horses and their needs, didn't just show up and had to start from scratch.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 18, 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Very unprofessional...however, considering the source and all...not a surprise. Too bad Kim can't see that...oh well!



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun. 10, 2001
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    8,792

    Default eric

    i know for a fact that kim has been under pressure from certain organizations who feel threatened or at least uncomfortable about how vocal she's been about the change in her view regarding use of shoes and about her own experiences in putting shoes on. i think that these types of pressures compelled her to put her thoughts on the subject down on paper.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    i know for a fact that kim has been under pressure from certain organizations who feel threatened or at least uncomfortable about how vocal she's been about the change in her view regarding use of shoes and about her own experiences in putting shoes on. i think that these types of pressures compelled her to put her thoughts on the subject down on paper.
    Uh huh. Because she is such a force to be contended with.

    Hey, anytime she does go ahead and put those thoughts down 'on paper', would you let us know? Because I didn't see any article. All I saw was a statement that she used to do barefoot only now she does shoes even though she makes less money this way (!!!!) with no thought or explanation as to any relative merits, benefits, drawbacks of any method or any discusssion whatosever of any of the subject matter. Unless of course, you consider pasting an email from Rick Burten 'discussion' of the matter.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eruss View Post
    The whole idea of us vs. them, farrier vs. trimmer is ridiculous. Who cares? If Kim wants to be a farrier she should quit worrying so much about people who want to trim only. I think a little less time writing dumb articles and a little more time learning how to farriery would do her some good.
    Well, spending some time learning either of those things would probably be helpful for her.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun. 10, 2001
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    8,792

    Default androcles

    Quote Originally Posted by Androcles View Post
    Uh huh. Because she is such a force to be contended with.
    well apparently someone perceives her vocality as a potential threat (to the status quo perhaps???)
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    well apparently someone perceives her vocality as a potential threat (to the status quo perhaps???)
    Maybe because heretics, to any movement, are seen as a symbol for a threat to their beliefs, no matter how small and unimportant they seem to be in themselves.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    well apparently someone perceives her vocality as a potential threat (to the status quo perhaps???)
    If you say so.

    (I think 'articulateness' would trump 'vocality', ).



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Maybe because heretics, to any movement, are seen as a symbol for a threat to their beliefs, no matter how small and unimportant they seem to be in themselves.
    This putative 'threat' exists solely in the mind of this supposed 'threatener'.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb. 18, 2006
    Location
    east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs
    Posts
    3,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Androcles View Post
    All I saw was a statement that she used to do barefoot only now she does shoes even though she makes less money this way (!!!!)
    You somehow think that that is an incorrect statement?
    with no thought or explanation as to any relative merits, benefits, drawbacks of any method or any discusssion whatosever of any of the subject matter.
    That wasn't the purpose of the article.
    Unless of course, you consider pasting an email from Rick Burten 'discussion' of the matter.
    Kim asked me to write down, for publication, my position regarding the BUA and its cult follwers of the lunatic fringe of hoof care so I did. Even before that, my position regarding the BUA movement and its adherents/handmaidens/gurus was not exactly a state secret.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2001
    Posts
    15,232

    Default

    I could personally care less what someone's position is on shoes vs bare. It is her website and she can write whatever she wants.

    However, Rick, if I had my name attached to it, *I* would be prefer it as least be grammatically correct. The message sort of gets lost with all the errors.

    If she wants credibility, she should have the professionalism to have the article proofed.

    The same could be said for the other articles.

    Again, she has every right to write whatever she pleases-technical detail would simply make the meaning come through a little better.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun. 10, 2001
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    8,792

    Default LMH

    so that's your contribution to the discussion? proofreading????
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2001
    Posts
    15,232

    Default

    Well...to be considered a professional publication, grammar should be correct?

    Don't you think?

    Other than that I did contribute-I said Kim is free to publish whatever opinions she has on her site.

    That is the beauty of having your own site!



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan. 25, 2009
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    Now that surely won't cause a trainwreck.

    FWIW, Kim has a few typos that she may want to address-the most glaring is the misuse of "than" when it should be "then"
    Wrong.

    Then= at that time; soon afterwards.

    Than= a comparison.

    Than is the correct word in the context.



Similar Threads

  1. Bit discussion
    By paintedrain91 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Aug. 5, 2012, 05:11 AM
  2. Use of TB discussion in Holstein
    By Bayhawk in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: Apr. 10, 2010, 07:48 AM
  3. Chifney Bit Discussion
    By Vindicated in forum Racing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Mar. 24, 2010, 10:51 AM
  4. MSM Discussion
    By JstMyLuck3 in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: Sep. 20, 2009, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •