The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Hunter scoring question?

I was just watching the Capital Challenge and how can a rider and horse get a 0 from 1 judge and low 70's from the other one for and average in the low 30's?

Questions 2- How come some riders wear shads and some do not?
    Last edited by nature; Oct. 4, 2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: second question posted

I wondered the same thing. One judge saw a disqualifying error and the other didn't catch it? But what kind of error could that be?

Savannah stumbled and broke gait after one jump and still got the top scores. If the rest of the package is really good, then they don't take off much for that?

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

It is possible that one judge saw something the other did not, or they saw the same major mistake and scored it differently based on their perspective.

Shads are not required, and some people simply choose not to invest in one if they aren't going to use one very frequently. I know mine has been hanging in my closet for a loooooooong time gathering dust
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

That 0 from one judge and low 70s from the other??

Um, easy to explain if they were sitting in different places. One simply could not see what the other did. Some common culprits for one low and one better score would be trot steps, late lead changes or crosscanters or dislodging a rail enough to lower the height without having it drop to the ground, that is sort of a technical rail down deduction.

BUT that zero? That rider did something that disqualifed her one saw and the other did not. Sounds like it was not such a good round anyway if it was in the lower 70s and she had her problems. Offhand, I'd need to go look at the rule book and I don't have time, maybe somebody else can come up with things that would disqualify. Pretty good idea that rider knows as well.

Best guess without seeing it is she may have used her stick ahead of the girth, like along the neck to block a dodge/spook/run out. Something like that.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Could it be something about the tack that one judge considered "non-traditional" and the other didn't?

That is at the judge's discretion.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Could it be something about the tack that one judge considered "non-traditional" and the other didn't?

That is at the judge's discretion.

Definately...like hooks or something.

We just don't know because we were not there, thinking it was use of the stick ahead of the girth on an already bad trip. BTDT because I had to so one would stay in the ring, sort of waved it alongside the neck and head where he could see it to block him. Got the zero on that so that's my best guess.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post

Best guess without seeing it is she may have used her stick ahead of the girth, like along the neck to block a dodge/spook/run out. Something like that.
    As far as I know that is not a rule violation in the hunter ring, unless she hit it in the head.
    My guess is they left the tail wrap on and one judge noticed. Or forgot the number. Also, I think someone said Linda was judging this morning, and she is well known for zeros for what she considers unconventional tack, including mylers with hooks.

the horse was lame.

Interesting. I've never seen one tossed from the actual class instead of the jog. Were you watching? Did they trot in or out and it was dead obvious?

I was watching and wondering the same thing. So glad the judge noticed and punished the horse. Maybe others will considering not showing their lame ponies and horses. Its so abusive!