The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Antares v. Childeric?

I apologize in advance for creating another saddle thread, but here goes: for those who have ridden in both brands, do these saddles fit and ride similarly? I ride in a Childeric now and love it, but it's showing its age and I may be interested in trying an Antares. Everyone seems to rave about them on here so I thought I would try and obtain feedback from riders who have owned or ridden in both saddles. Thanks!!
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"

What do you do?

Antares seems to suit bigger fences and a more Jumper style while Childeric is more all around and Hunter suited.

Both are similar in the way they sit the horse with a wider cantle and padding under it to better distribute the weight but you might find the Antares is available with a little deeper seat...least that was the way I felt when I tried both

Both exceptional choices. I didn't need the support for bigger fences and deeper seat and loved the Childeric. They both seem to fit a variety of horses with appropriate pad selection. Guess it boils down to your needs and personal preference.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I've ridden in both, and while I love the Antares for its comfort, it's really, well, THERE. It's like sitting on a really comfy couch; but you know its there, and can feel it's there.

I have a Childeric, and it's both comfy and minimal. Knee blocks, comfy seat, with padding - but I can still feel the horse beneath me.

I believe that Childeric owns Antares, or at least designs some of the Antares saddle. Whatever it is I know there is a relation. I used to own a childeric and loved riding in it however it did not fit my horse at all. I agree with schune, the childeric wasn't bulky and had good contact. Just set it on your horse before you buy!