The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Proposed Rule Changes at USEF

Has anyone taken a look at the rule changes USEF is proposing? There will be a lot of changes in the hunter/jumper world if they pass. USEF members have a right to voice their opinions now. It's too late to complain once they pass. Go to http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/RuleBoo.../PRCIndex.aspx

Thanks.
    I just started looking at these.
    Its not a user friendly format of how these are posted.

Am I correct in thinking that the "Open Hunter" division would be replacing what is now known as Working Hunters (for both green and regular)? I understand that they're trying to open it up a bit, but aren't amatuers allowed to show in the working hunters right now?

Proposed Change
    HU103 Green Status - Hunter. [Chapter HU Hunter Division. Subchapter HU-1 Definitions and Eligibility] Change to read:

1. A Green Hunter is a horse of any age which has not competed at a USEF licensed competition where the fence height is 3’6” or higher.
    A horses green status is considered broken when it competes over fences 3’6” or higher.
    2. Fences set at 3’6”.
    3. Eligible to compete for a minimum of one year.
    4. Green year begins when the horse first competes over fences set at 3’6”, HOTY awards stay on competition calendar year.
    5. Horses may continue to compete as a green hunter for more than one year if they have not won more than $4,000 in prize money in the
    Green Hunter section.

This is a big deal - note 'minimum of 1 year' and until a max of 4000 - so effectively, you can show sporadically for multiple years at 3 6 until you win 4000. NICE for those of us whose horses get hurt or are on a budget.

Proposed Change:
    HU106107 Regular Hunter – Definition and Classifications. [Chapter HU Hunter Division. Subchapter HU-1 Definitions and Eligibility]
    Add new and renumber if necessary:
    3. Regular Working Hunter
    a. Fences: “A” competitions: 3’9” - 4’0”; “AA” competitions: 4’0” - 4’6”
    b. Must offer 3-5 classes including 1 under saddle with individual classes allowed to be entered.
    c. Champion and reserve must be awarded
    d. Regular Working must offer the greatest amount of prize money of all hunter sections at the competition.
    e. In a section with 3 classes, the under saddle will count half points towards champion and reserve
    f. A handy hunter must be offered as one of the over fences classes.

HU162 Prize Money. [Chapter HU. Hunter Division. Subchapter HU-8 Conduct] Add new and renumber if necessary:
    1. Prize money offered in the professional sections must be awarded on an escalating scale related to the height of fences.
    USHJA Open Hunter Task Force
    Susie Schoellkopf
    174 Middlesex Rd.
    Buffalo, NY 14216-

Proposed Change:
    HU106107 Regular Hunter – Definition and Classifications. [Chapter HU Hunter Division. Subchapter HU-1 Definitions and Eligibility]
    Add new and renumber if necessary:
    3. Regular Working Hunter
    a. Fences: “A” competitions: 3’9” - 4’0”; “AA” competitions: 4’0” - 4’6”
    b. Must offer 3-5 classes including 1 under saddle with individual classes allowed to be entered.
    c. Champion and reserve must be awarded
    d. Regular Working must offer the greatest amount of prize money of all hunter sections at the competition.
    e. In a section with 3 classes, the under saddle will count half points towards champion and reserve
    f. A handy hunter must be offered as one of the over fences classes.

I think that this one is particularly interesting.
    http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/432-09.pdf

Proposed Change:
    HU108 USHJA Open Hunter Division. [Chapter HU Hunter Division. Subchapter HU-1 Definitions and Eligibility] Add new and renumber
    if necessary:
    1. Competitions must offer three height sections: 3’6”, 3’9” and 4’0”.
    2. Each section must offer 3-5 classes including one under saddle.
    3. Entry allowed into individual classes.
    4. Champion and reserve must be awarded for each section.
    5. In a section with 3 classes, the under saddle will count half points towards champion and reserve.
    6. Sections of the USHJA Open Hunter Division may be combined at “A” and “AA” competitions if there are less than eight (8) entries in
    any one given fence height section.
    7. Horses may cross enter fence height sections at the same competition.
    8. All horses must jog on a circle while mounted following the completion of each round.
    9. If the division is split by fence height section, there must be an escalating level for prize money, with the highest amount of prize money
    to the horses in the 4’0” section.
    Intent of Proposal:
    Restructure of the Hunter Division. Allows ability to move up and down levels without restriction
    It provides a "rated" class at 3'6" which is open both to
    -Amateurs who ride a horse they don't own, and want to move up from the A/A division to 3'6"
    - Riders who don't quite meet the definition of "amateur", but want to show at 3'6" on horses that no longer meet the definition of green.

If you combine that with the rule change that allows a non-winning horse to stay in the Green division for multiple years, it should remove a lot of the pressures that lead to so many "shamateurs".
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by dauphine2 View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that the "Open Hunter" division would be replacing what is now known as Working Hunters (for both green and regular)? I understand that they're trying to open it up a bit, but aren't amatuers allowed to show in the working hunters right now?
    I don't think so.

The Working Hunters are still there, though at a slightly bigger height (A” competitions: 3’9” - 4’0”; “AA” competitions: 4’0” - 4’6”).

This (Open Hunter) fills in the gaps between 3' and 4'- especially for the Amateur who rides someone else's horse (therefore not an A/O), and for the person who is "not quite an amateur" but is not ready to jump 4; (oir doesn't have a 4' horse).
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    I don't think so.

The Working Hunters are still there, though at a slightly bigger height (A” competitions: 3’9” - 4’0”; “AA” competitions: 4’0” - 4’6”).

This (Open Hunter) fills in the gaps between 3' and 4'- especially for the Amateur who rides someone else's horse (therefore not an A/O), and for the person who is "not quite an amateur" but is not ready to jump 4; (oir doesn't have a 4' horse).
    Okay, thank you! I was really confused about that. Are amateurs allowed to show in the professional divisions? I know that juniors are, but it's a little harder to tell if it's a professional or an ammy because they're all around the same age...

There are no "professional" divisions. There are amateur divisions and junior divisions. Anyone can ride in the open and/or green divisions (usually it is the pros), but professionals cannot ride in the amateur divisions, or in the junior divisions if they are over 18.

I think that is a good idea to make a horse eligible to compete more than one year, (if they have not won $4000) but does that mean two years or three or four or what?
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

Rule: GR308.2
    Rule Change Type Standard
    From time to time rules are adopted which change the sequence of rule numbering. The rule reference used here is the rule number that appears in the current website
    version of the United States Equestrian Federation, Inc. Rulebook
    Proposed Change:
    GR308 Mileage.

I'm not going to post the whole rule proposal, because its INCREDIBLY long.. , and if someone else would like to throw there opinion in of it, it might be a good idea! (Because I found the wording incredibly confusing, and it definately took me atleast two readings to grasp the concept that the USHJA (the proponent) was going for.. (Janet maybe? teehee! Our resident rule interpreter!))

But, what I got out of it, is that if a facility (NOT Licensee!) hosts four consecutive weeks of showing (friday, saturday and sunday qualify it as a week) they lose protecting from the mileage rule, therefore allowing facilities nearby some of the true "circuits" to operate shows! The competition which operates for less than four weeks can reset there week count by not holding any competition for 7 consecutive days, and a competition which operates for four weeks or more can reset there week count by not holding any competition for 14 days. Also the new competition year does NOT reset the week count.

I bet this would make it very interesting for HITS etc!

(Random afterthought.. Can someone else please read the following rule and tell me what it means? Because I am so much more than just confused at the moment!)

Rule: HJ100 - HJ400
    CHAPTER HJ - Hunter/Jumper Competitions

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

HunterJumperLuv - That is my interpretation of the proposed rule change (link) as well tho I really don't understand the portion that includes the reference to August 1.

The proposed Green Until $4K rule would let in horses that have their 3'6" mileage in divisions other than hunters, including eq, eventing and jumpers. At the moment I believe that jumper classes, even those held on other continents, do technically count.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post

The proposed Green Until $4K rule would let in horses that have their 3'6" mileage in divisions other than hunters, including eq, eventing and jumpers. At the moment I believe that jumper classes, even those held on other continents, do technically count.
    Where do you see anything that would change that in the new rule?

I already see a huge hole in that proposed Green rule in the earlier post. It says it can compete until it wins $4000 in the Green division. What about horses that do Greens a few times, get sold to a junior or amateur, show in those divisions, then go back 5 years later and do Greens, since they didn't win much money in that one division?

Quote Originally Posted by dauphine2 View Post
    Okay, thank you! I was really confused about that. Are amateurs allowed to show in the professional divisions? I know that juniors are, but it's a little harder to tell if it's a professional or an ammy because they're all around the same age...
    There are no such things a "professional" divisions. There are (rider) restricted divisions (Jr, Children, Adult Amateur, Amateur Owner, etc.) and there are (rider) unrestricted divisions (Pre-Green, Green, Working, etc.)

In the (rider) unrestricted divisions ANYONE (Jr . Sr., Pro, Amateur) can ride.

Yes, Amateurs can ride in the Pregreen, Green, Working, etc divisions.
    Janet

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Where do you see anything that would change that in the new rule?

I already see a huge hole in that proposed Green rule in the earlier post. It says it can compete until it wins $4000 in the Green division. What about horses that do Greens a few times, get sold to a junior or amateur, show in those divisions, then go back 5 years later and do Greens, since they didn't win much money in that one division?
    OK, re-read proposed new rule as quoted above and realize that it only refers to hunter classes in the context of winning money, not showing 3'6" or higher. So jumpers would still count and I stand corrected on that. But the proposed rule specifies jumping 3'6" or higher at USEF shows, whereas the current rule...

Current Rule (bold added by me):
    HU103 Green Status - Hunter.
    1. A Green Hunter is a horse of any age in its first or second year of showing in any classes in which the national specifications require horses to jump 3’6” or higher, regardless of whether or not the fences are actually set at 3'6" or higher at Regular Competitions or Eventing Competitions of the Federation or Equine Canada or any national or international competition.

My interpretation of "international competition" would include competitions in other countries. But my interpretation could be wrong and maybe those horses that did the 1.30-M jumpers in Europe are legit pre-greenies by the current rule.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by HunterJumperLuv View Post
    Rule: GR308.2
    Rule Change Type Standard
    From time to time rules are adopted which change the sequence of rule numbering. The rule reference used here is the rule number that appears in the current website
    version of the United States Equestrian Federation, Inc. Rulebook
    Proposed Change:
    GR308 Mileage.

I'm not going to post the whole rule proposal, because its INCREDIBLY long.. , and if someone else would like to throw there opinion in of it, it might be a good idea! (Because I found the wording incredibly confusing, and it definately took me atleast two readings to grasp the concept that the USHJA (the proponent) was going for.. (Janet maybe? teehee! Our resident rule interpreter!))
    There are at least 4 proposed rule changed for 308, so it would be useful if you gave the rule change proposal number, not just the rule.

I am guessing you mean 610-09
    http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/610-09.pdf

I am not really that familiar with the current mileage rules, so it is going to take me a while to figure it out.
    Janet

There appears to be a MAJOR rule change proposal in the Jumper division.

They want to change the "Amateur Owner Jumper" division into the "Amateur Jumper" division, with NO ownership requirements.

See, for instance
    http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/523-09.pdf
    Janet

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyponies View Post
    HU162 Prize Money. [Chapter HU. Hunter Division. Subchapter HU-8 Conduct] Add new and renumber if necessary:
    1. Prize money offered in the professional sections must be awarded on an escalating scale related to the height of fences.
    USHJA Open Hunter Task Force
    Susie Schoellkopf
    174 Middlesex Rd.
    Buffalo, NY 14216-
    So I filled out a comment on this one. There are no hunter sections restricted to professionals. This needs to be re-worded since there is no such thing, just because professionals tend to show in them doesn't mean they are restricted as to the riders status, these classes are open to any and all riders.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    There are no such things a "professional" divisions. There are (rider) restricted divisions (Jr, Children, Adult Amateur, Amateur Owner, etc.) and there are (rider) unrestricted divisions (Pre-Green, Green, Working, etc.)

In the (rider) unrestricted divisions ANYONE (Jr . Sr., Pro, Amateur) can ride.

Yes, Amateurs can ride in the Pregreen, Green, Working, etc divisions.
    Oh, thanks. Why do they keep calling them professional hunter divisions at Capital Challenge?