The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Maryanne at Dover..Will you Marry Me???

Really.

This dear woman has turned herself inside out and upside down, with me and for me 3 days this week.

And I want more!!

God Bless Dover catalogue, especially their Phone crew!!!

Service is everything and so worth the small price we end up paying for it, yanno???
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

Thumbs up she's awesome

and will bend over backward to help you get what you need for your pony!!!
    he's a big horse with short legs...really!

A very expen$$$ive clipper I ordered Sunday night happened to miss the RUSH shipping truck.
    On Weds. afternoon, I called to double check and she credited me the Rush shipping.
    Box arrived late yesterday and expen$$$ive clipper has a part missing.

She offered, no DID, try to overnight said part to me, only to discover that every single clipper in the warehouse was missing the Part.

So we both call the Mfg, I will receive one free, no shipping in 10 business days.

Not good enuf for Maryanne....

She calls MFG and finds out that I don't actually NEED this part to start clipping the 4 horses that are showing on Sunday.

And she was then Amazed to find out that I've already had MFG send Dover a dozen pieces, but they didn't tell me I could go ahead and clip without it..

Damn, that was more fun than I've had in waaayyyyy too long....
    Go, Baby, Go......

There's a lot of Dover bashing on COTH. My experience with them is that they really do try to make everything right, whatever the reason, and their returns policy is the most generous I've seen anywhere.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

And this gets even better, as if that's possible !!

The sheet that was backordered into next week??

Well, that showed up on my doorstep this morning !!
    Go, Baby, Go......

Dover doesnt always have the best deals, but they stand behind their products and have wonderful customer service.

I have always had great experiences with Dover , enough so I'm usually fine with eating the extra few bucks in price difference on the type of stuff I usually order.. I just wish they weren't so far away... shipping always takes so long.

And, not at all relevant to the above, but I wish they hadn't redone their website - it hurts my eyes now o.O

Dover has gotten better as far as returns go. A few years ago, in my experience with them, it was not as easy even with the product being clearly defective (specifically a pair of boots that fell apart in a month)...However, overall they really have fine tuned the Customer Service aspect of their business and make a good effort to help, communicate and resolve an issue. It makes good business sense to not give the customers a hard time!

A great experience I had with them last year: I ordered a pair of Ariat Zip Field Boots. I got them, tried them on and one zipper broke even before I had the other boot on. I called Dover, explained what happened and they overnighted a new pair even before I returned the defective boots. Now that was good service!

[QUOTE=Late;4417527]I have always had great experiences with Dover , enough so I'm usually fine with eating the extra few bucks in price difference on the type of stuff I usually order.. I just wish they weren't so far away... shipping always takes so long.

On the shipping issue, I always ask for FedEx Ground. Dover seems to want to ship via some service through the post office which is slower then slow. So, a tip...ask for the FedEx Ground if you have not already tried that (or maybe that is slow to your state too). I am in NY and it works great; usually a day or 2...

Quote Originally Posted by MintHillFarm View Post
    On the shipping issue, I always ask for FedEx Ground. Dover seems to want to ship via some service through the post office which is slower then slow. So, a tip...ask for the FedEx Ground if you have not already tried that (or maybe that is slow to your state too). I am in NY and it works great; usually a day or 2...
    ah, yeah... I'm in Arizona.. not sure how they shipped my last few orders, but not only does it take a solid 5-6 business days, I always seem to order right before a holiday or something silly like that I think it's a certain talent I've developed, timing things so perfectly! But I'll have to double check next time, thanks for the tip!

That's nice for you to share a positive story about Dover after a lot of the negativity on here. I have had good experience ordering from them, and appreciate that their employees and management tend to be horsey. I am sure some of them could make more $ in the 'real world' but do the horse world instead, and the company is generous about donations and sponsorships.

Having ordered from lots of different catalog houses, if it can go wrong, it will. It's how they deal with the problems that makes the difference. No business can control FedEx or the USPS, but they can guide your expectations and deal with the disappointments.

On a side note, I LOVE the Dover brand products (their saddle pads, girths, boots, etc.).

Yep, Dover has this shipping fiasco called Smart Post. What that means is that FedEx delivers the package from Dover to your local post office, and then the USPS takes it from there to your house. In theory, it should work ok, but I've found some flaws in the system. Specifically, the package made it to my local post office, but then it just sat there. My road had some construction (nothing major... you could still drive on it, as did UPS and everyone EXCEPT the post office) so we didn't get our mail for a couple of weeks. No advance notice, no explanation, just no mail. I called Dover asking where my order was and they told me it was sitting at the post office. They took the time to research the situation, get back with me on where my order was and they flagged my account not to use Smart Post again.

Quote Originally Posted by spmoonie View Post
    On a side note, I LOVE the Dover brand products (their saddle pads, girths, boots, etc.).
    Ditto. Just bought a $150 girth $80 off and it is fantastic. My Dover Pony saddle is the envy of every 12y.o. in the barn.

Love, love, love Dover...and am so happy we now have fun about 15 min. from the barn....and I found out yesterday THEY ARE OPEN ON SUNDAYS!!!!!

Ive returned a pair of Ariat half chaps without the slightest problem and yesterday exchanged a pair of stirrup leathers that were just plain weird...no questions asked. No reciept...no problem...they actually keep track of what you buy and can look it up!

I do love their brand of stuff...I have tons of their baby pads, loved the Dover Pro Sport Boots!

I really think they have worked hard the past year or so at stepping up their customer service experience, and it shows!
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

It wasn't Maryanne, but . . .

Last year when we were ordering prizes for our local circuit the Dover reps I worked with were wonderful! They had great suggestions and spent the time checking all sale offers to help save us some money.

And here's another vote for the pro sport boots! Have them in both fleece & neoprene lining for several horses and they rock!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

I am glad you got good service... no one else here really has unfortuntaly.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    Yep, Dover has this shipping fiasco called Smart Post. What that means is that FedEx delivers the package from Dover to your local post office, and then the USPS takes it from there to your house. In theory, it should work ok, but I've found some flaws in the system. Specifically, the package made it to my local post office, but then it just sat there. My road had some construction (nothing major... you could still drive on it, as did UPS and everyone EXCEPT the post office) so we didn't get our mail for a couple of weeks. No advance notice, no explanation, just no mail. I called Dover asking where my order was and they told me it was sitting at the post office. They took the time to research the situation, get back with me on where my order was and they flagged my account not to use Smart Post again.

YES! That was it. A slow boat would get there faster then the SmartPost. What a ridiculous combination anyway...to take a faster service such as UPS or FedEx and combine it with a slow service; who ever thought of that idea.
    My account is flagged as well to only use UPS or FedEx Ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia412 View Post
    And here's another vote for the pro sport boots! Have them in both fleece & neoprene lining for several horses and they rock!

I have a white fleece set. I got them 4 years ago for $20 a pair on sale and they have held up great. Only wear is some rubbing on the inside of the hinds from a horse that tends to travel close behind.

I've always had great service from Dover catalog sales reps! 2 years ago they replaced TWO turnout blankets Rico destroyed the first day they were put on him! Wasn't a product defect, just a matter of the drop being too long for him, he was catching the straps when he rolled, and tore them in exactly the same place. They sent the first replacement out free of charge before even asking me to send back the torn one, and when I reported the replacement had also torn, they helped me figure out the problem and then measured the drop on every comparable blanket to find one with a shorter drop, and gave me that one for the price of the original, even though it was a slightly more $$. He's had that one for 2 years now with no problems.

Store service isn't quite so good, but I think that often depends on the individual sales people in the store. I stood there one day for close to 20 minutes waiting for someone to help me with helmets, because one of the clerks was socializing with a customer/friend.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/