The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TC Fish oil supp................yay or nay?

Has anyone tried this? Just spoke w/ a TC rep who said it is very palatable. Any input/thoughts would be appreciated. Rep also said that new research is very pro-omega 3 and con-omega 6. (more so than in the past). She sent me an article about this that I am going to read now. My guy is currently on Equi-Jewel rice bran but it is a pain in the @#$ to find so I am looking into other fat sources that are easy to find and not crazy expensive. Used to do canola oil when I did self-care - now am boarding and BO is not too keen on the mess issue w/ oil. TIA.

I had a mare with Lymphoma that my vet recommended that I try fish oil with to support her immune function and overall health. We picked WellPride because it seemed like the best & most cost effective one. http://www.wellpride.com/benefits.php

It seemed to make a difference with her, she was much more energetic and her coat condition improved a lot. She was on all sorts of minerals, vitamin E, etc also though, so it's hard to tell which was making the difference or if it was a combined effect. She did not like the taste when I introduced a full dose. So I started with barely any and then slowly increased to a full dose of 1 oz and she did not seem to mind.

My current horse on it now too. I got her in July and she had a very sunburned coat. Since her winter coat has come in she is very glossy and healthy looking. She doesn't seem to mind the taste at all.

From my vet said there is sufficient omega 6 in all the other food sources. Rice bran and corn have a high amount especially. But most don't have any omega 3. Since horses need a balance of Omega 3/Omega 6 it does you more good to supplement solely with omega 3.

Omega Horseshine has very high omega 3 compared to other powder formulations. it might be less than wellpride, but it's not an oil, which is it's plus

I haven't tried the TC fish oil sup, but I did have a horse on their Training formula (feed) when it first came out. It had fish oil in it and looked soooo good on paper. It looked like just what my guy needed.... It stank to high heaven, and the horse wouldn't eat it. Despite their claims about it's palatability, the horse had other opinions.

I'd see if the rep could get you a sample or comp some before you spend $$ on the stuff.
    Y'all ain't right!

Flax seed has the highest naturally occurring plant-based Omega 3. You can add it with rice bran, giving a nice combination of 3 and 6. Personally, I would not feed anything a horse wouldn't naturally consume (fish), but that's my taste.

If you do add flax seed, get it ground, as the whole seed can pass through undigested. Horses LOVE it, so there's no palatability problem. It does go off quite quickly, though, so either refrigerate the package or buy a smaller amount.
    Last edited by Tommy's Girl; Oct. 2, 2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: omitted an important fact!

I agree! Flax is definitely preferable (IMHO) if you're going to add it yourself...
    It certainly tastes and smells better
    Y'all ain't right!

thanks so far.........i, too, wonder about feeding fish product to a herbivore.....