The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Footwear For Barn Chores & Teaching Lessons?

Wondering what you might recommend to wear for footwear to do barn chores & lessons? Need something that is comfortable (as I am on my feet ALL day). Prefer it to be something suitable to wear in occassional mud and mucky stuff, or walking across dewey wet grass.

DANSKO!! The professional clog is my favorite:

http://www.dansko.com/#detail,Professional,Stapled Clog,2
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

I love my Blundstone #500 boots. I'm on my fourth or fifth pair right now. . .buy new ones every few years, and I adore them!! Super comfortable, easy to clean, and they clean up well. . .look nice with a pair of jeans!
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

In the winter I use whatever shoes I like best with my NEOS over them.

I just broke down and bought a pair of Dubarry boots. They are so comfortable and last forever, totally water proof.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Dansko. But I prefer the Callas. I have sprained my ankle a couple of times falling off the Professionals.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

For the winter I like Columbia Bugabootoo boots. The places I've used them (coold Michigan winters and muddy Virginia springs!) clogs definitely don't cut the mustard. I can't abide wet cold feet or getting sand in my shoes from the ring! And its a shame let such nice leather like on the Pro clogs, get ruined by mud and salt.

The Bugabootoo is very warm (rated -25F), moisture-wicking, rubberized on the foot so mud is no problemo, roomy toebox for thick socks, good grip in ice/snow, and compatible with orthotics. Good ankle support and stability, if that's important. They are wide across the ball of the foot so you need large stirrups to ride in them comfortably but they do have a short heel so perfectly safe if you have to jump on for a quick demo to the class.

But get the laces, the zippered ones never stay up. (lesson learned).
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

I don't get the Dansko thing, but maybe that's just me...Is it cold where you are? I'm all about UGGs. Can't beat the comfort or the warmth.

Until this year, I'd gone through a pair every winter, but just discovered some different styles that have vibram soles and are a little more structured. They're just as comfortable, more waterproof that the older styles and I think they'll hold up a bit longer. They're on sale right now at Overland Sheepskin Co. Note that they run a little smaller than the old Uggs, I went up a size.

http://www.overland.com/Products/Wom...c=2&zmap=56036

The UGG Adirondacks are great too but considerably more expensive.

Call me "too cheap and too practical" but I just don't see myself mucking stalls in Dubarry or Ugg, but to each their own!

I have tried these from LL Bean
    http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...rom=SR&feat=sr
    They are okay in the cold weather, but my feet sweat, to the point my socks are soaked, by the end of the day this time of year.

Prior to the above shoe, I tried these (also from LL Bean)
    Not waterproof for real mud (or puddles), or treking too many steps through dewey wet grass, but work okay for stall mucking and other chores.

Still haven't found anything "perfect".

My Ariat Terrains - I could live in them.

I like the muckrackers sport shoe (also make a short boot). Cuff keeps shavings out when mucking, waterproof, lightweight, comfortable, not hot (and I live in florida)

I have plantar fasciitis in my left foot, and by wearing Ariat ANYTHING, I am able to be comfortable and mobile all day long. I prefer the waterproof version of theTerrain, or the barnyard boot. Both are also suitable for riding. I couldn't live without them.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by katie16 View Post
    Call me "too cheap and too practical" but I just don't see myself mucking stalls in Dubarry or Ugg, but to each their own!

I have tried these from LL Bean
    They are okay in the cold weather, but my feet sweat, to the point my socks are soaked, by the end of the day this time of year.

Prior to the above shoe, I tried these (also from LL Bean)
    Not waterproof for real mud (or puddles), or treking too many steps through dewey wet grass, but work okay for stall mucking and other chores.

Still haven't found anything "perfect".
    The UGGs I linked to are $135. That sweating issue doesn't happen with UGGs, which is one of the reasons I love them. If I wear them every day for the 4 winter months, that's less than $1/day for my feet to be dry, warm, and comfortable. This is how I rationalize I tried rationalizing a pair of Dubarrys for this year, but I can't imagine they offer $300 more comfort than the UGGs, though they are awfully cute...