The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

vinc Guest

Default Uk KWPN Keuring - United x Gribaldi

Hi guys,

I don't post on here very often, but wanted to put a picture of my colt up for you all to see - I am so pleased with him. He was Champion Dressage foal at the UK Midlands KWPN Keuring. He is by the KWPN stallion United, out of a pink papered Gribaldi mare, and achieved a score of 72 at his inspection, being was praised very highly for his movement.

United is a very fashionable sire in Holland, and has had a good year this year as Bordeaux, 2009 Champion of the Stallion licencing and Brooklyn, the 2009 KWPN Mare Champion at Ermelo, were both by United. The stallion himself has great movement and a fabulous temperament - both qualities have come through with this colt. The damsire, Gribaldi obviously needs no introduction, being the sire of loads of top level horses, including Moorlands Totilas and others like Painted Black.

Anyway - here is my colt - I hope you like him!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3434/...c332419d_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2571/...4c792f34_o.jpg

He looks like a fabulous colt. Congratulations. What is the breeding on the bottom line of the mare. She must go back to Samber.

vinc Guest

Hi there,

Yes, that's right, the colouring comes from Samber - after all. he is the only approved KWPN coloured stallion ever! Her sire is Elite Gribaldi (Kostolany - Ibikus - Flugsand) who is a Keur Stallion with the KWPN and Elite with the Trakehner Verband, and as well as being an international dressage horse is sire to over 10 approved sons including Moorlands Totalis, Painted Black and Hofrat.

She is out of a mare by Samber (Pericles xx - Ordonnans - Romeo) who as mentioned is the only coloured stallion ever to be approved by the KWPN, and is himself the sire of over 20 Approved stallions with various studbooks, and over a further 20 Approved grandsons as well as competing at Grand Prix level in dressage and Z level showjumping.

The second Damsire is a British TB, Belfalas xx (Blakeney xx - Princely Gift xx - Nasrullah xx). He had a successful racing career before becoming a significant sire of warmblood sportshorse broodmares, and has a Dressage breeding index of 114. He's the maternal sire to approved stallions Daytona VDL, Cantatus B and Latin Lover.

The full pedigree of the foal is here: http://www.paardenfokken.nl/pedigree...09&maxniveau=6

Congrats! Lovely colt!
    Martha Haley - NeverSayNever Farm
    2009 KWN-NA Breeder of the Year/Silver Level Breeder
    www.angelfire.com/ns2/our_horses/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Never...01844536521951

he is so handsome! and i love the color! what a plus to a great colt!
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...7/PIC_0491.jpg
    Live, Cherish, and Enjoy every moment.

Really nice colt!

I like his pedigree - lots of Trak & TB

He is lovely, i had the pleasure of seeing him in person at the grading and boy does he move, are you keeping him as a stallion prospect Vinc?

vinc Guest

Hey Zara

I might well consider keeping him as a stallion prospect, although ideally I would like to find him another home. I don't as a rule keep colts as I don't have the facilites to run them on, although this foal is so good I am tempted to upgrade and keep him!

He is lovely, congrats!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Speaking from having gone through this process a few times, I would think many times before keeping any colt as a stallion prospect. The odds are hugely stacked against you. I said in an earlier post, this looks like a really elegant, fancy-moving colt. In type and movement, he may well be a stallion prospect. The mare line is nearly devoid of predicates and/or accomplished sport horses, however. Given that pedigree, in my experience and observations, is at least one third of the equation when selecting a stallion prospect for the KWPN, my guess is that your colt would be the token platenbont accepted for the second ring, but then tossed out due to pedigree before the third ring. I really don't mean to sound harsh here. It's just a predictable situation. All of this being said, your colt may still be deserving of stallion prospect status, but probably not with the KWPN. Again, I'm just speaking from having spent many years and lots of money hoping for a stallion prospect. And, I'll do it again. But, each time I decide to pursue this route, I try to keep my eyes a little more open and my awareness of the standards a little keener.

I've only attended one stallion show in Holland but I was amazed at the pedigrees that didn't survive the selection process.

Since the OP is in England, I don't know the registry options for this colt.

Good luck with him.

vinc Guest

I am indeed in England, and am also sadly aware of the KWPN's apparent dislike of tobiano horses. There are a number of other possible options for him, but to be honest I would have liked his movement just as much if he were bay or chestnut. There is no reason why his mother cannot have a competition career at soem point - she is a relatively young mare, but I have chosen to breed from her as I myself do not have the time to campaign her at ridden competition.

There is plenty of time, and there are always routes to an end! Thank you all for your comments.

The KWPN is not really against tobiano horses. I think that they even allow coloureds to the second round to give them the benefit of the doubt. At least that was my thought last year with the coloured Tuschinski.

Fact is, as Scot allready mentioned, breeders of coloured horses most of the time pay less attention to pedigrees.

The KWPN gives a lot of value to pedigrees, maybe sometimes a bit to much and therefore your gorgeous colt would never make it with the KWPN but there are several other studbooks like the AES who look at the horse an not at his pedigree.

By the way, this year there will be a coloured Oscar at the KWPN gradings out of the damline of Samber.

Mark,

What is the extended pedigree of the Oscar? How far back is the Tina mare?

Scot

Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Star Farm View Post
    Mark,

What is the extended pedigree of the Oscar? How far back is the Tina mare?

Scot
    This is his pedigree: http://www.paardenfokken.nl/pedigree.php?horseid=210898
    The Van Norel family owns him now.

Tina D is 4 generations back.