The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Bandages for stadium ?

I know the reasons why you cant use bandages for xc, but what about stadium ?

I've been using them a lot when I've been schooling, and I have decided I actually quite like them

If you mean polos, I don't think they offer a whole lot of protection against the horse hitting a fence, and I would never jump with studs in and not use boots. I guess if you want to protect against brushing, and are jumping in sand, and it's dry, and you don't have to switch for xc immediately after, and you're not worried about hitting a fence, they're ok.

Yes, I mean polos

Well, we're only jumping newcomers (about 2 foot) and all 3 phases are always stretched across 2 days - xc being the last.

And it's going to be in the new grass arena - which was pretty thick and lush.

I don't use studs, because he's barefoot, so I don't think that will be a problem

Any reasons why I shouldn't use them ?

If they're put on correctly, it shouldn't be a problem. They may help a little to protect against dings, but otherwise they're just for decoration, nothing wrong with that.
    Click here before you buy.

I avoid bandages when I ride and especially when I show for exactly what deltawave said "if they're put on correctly, it shouldn't be a problem". Bandages can have just as many problems as they do benefits and I would rather just throw on a pair of boots (whether its my open fronts or my xc boots) then have to worry about wrapping my horse up.

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    If you mean polos, I don't think they offer a whole lot of protection against the horse hitting a fence, and I would never jump with studs in and not use boots. I guess if you want to protect against brushing, and are jumping in sand, and it's dry, and you don't have to switch for xc immediately after, and you're not worried about hitting a fence, they're ok.
    Not offering protection against the horse hitting the fence is the purpose of open front jumping boots, like Eskadrons. Most people WANT their horse to feel it when they hit a rail. This is why few people use polos in show jumping/stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by mandalea View Post
    Yes, I mean polos

Well, we're only jumping newcomers (about 2 foot) and all 3 phases are always stretched across 2 days - xc being the last.

And it's going to be in the new grass arena - which was pretty thick and lush.

I don't use studs, because he's barefoot, so I don't think that will be a problem

Any reasons why I shouldn't use them ?

I will give you some reasons NOT to use them, since you asked.
    1. If one comes loose and unravels, and your horse steps on the polo, best case scenario is that you'll trip him. There are several worst case scenarios, number one being that the horse steps on the loose bandage and bows a tendon. Number two being the polo is not put on with absolutely even tension, and you bandage bow him.
    2. Some horses, with a bandage covering the fetlock joint, do not use their knees and fetlocks as well as with a boot that does not cover the fetlock. In other words they do not jump as clean. You need all the advantages you can get.
    3. Polos are great for playing polo, as long as they are taped correctly. And fine as a support bandage for schooling on the flat. Otherwise...and if you were riding in a clinic with me, I'd tell you this in front of everybody: other than that, they are a potentially hazardous decoration. You can get some colored splint boots, and add colored bell boots if you want decoration and some "whack" protection for your stadium round.

I know someone who was exercising a race horse in bandages. Professional jockey, professionally applied bandages, I might add. Anyway, horse clipped itself, bandage came unravelled, horse's legs got caught up in it and the resulting accident put this person into the hospital for 6 months with a broken neck.

Maybe this was a freak accident, but I haven't used polos since.
    Treat Jockey for Spellbound and Smidgeon

Like others have said, they are fine to use. They may offer slightly less protection that a pair of brushing boots, but I don't think the difference is significant. If they stay on and they are put on properly, they're totally fine to use. However, if they come undone mid course or aren't done up right, the consequences can be disastrous. They aren't my choice usually for show jumping (prefer open fronts or nothing at all), but I have used them on rare occasions (I think it has usually been when the horse had an ugly but superficial cut on their legs that I've wanted to protect). I have seen PLENTY of people use them, both in eventing show jumping (Jan Bynny I think uses them a lot), Grand Prix show jumping, and here in the US, they are popular on Big Eq horses (our horse wore them).

If you are going to ride stadium in grass that is "thick and lush" it also might be wet. Wet polos may get saggy, stretch and become dangerous.

Not worth the risk IMHO.

Nancy

More like, what are the reasons you *should* wear them (in comparison to boots)? Well, IMO, none. They are inferior to boots in every way I can think of. Im curious why you like them so much.

As with most horse things, there is a time and place, the trick is knowing when.

Polos can be superior to boots in the following ways:

1. Better on sensitive horses who can't stand neoprene or rubber on their legs.

2. Don't catch as much sand (which then rubs) as many traditional boots, especially fleece-lined ones.

3. Can be useful for covering a superficial cut while still giving protection against minor knocks.

4. Can be good as an "in between" when a horse's boots are rubbing (e.g. 3-day clinic where the first day was spent in the water jump; horse got boot rubs; spent the dressage and show-jump days in polos).

I don't advocate polos for inexperienced bandagers. But FWIW, I used polos on phases A, B, and C for a two-star three day with my uber-sensitive TB. I knew spending 2 hours in his regular boots would have given him boot rubs.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by NMK View Post
    If you are going to ride stadium in grass that is "thick and lush" it also might be wet. Wet polos may get saggy, stretch and become dangerous.
    I'm surprised this wasn't one of the first things mentioned... but definitely this. I'm fine with wraps for schooling in a ring, but if I have a horse I want to wrap for any reason while competing, I go for Saratoga's.

I don't know why I like them so much.. I just do ?

It's not till the end of November, so it'll be really hot ! But I'll take my open fronts just incase, and I'll decide when I walk my course.