The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Oldenburg approved stallion suggestions for an Arabian Mare?

We have a 3 year old purebred filly by our Straight Egyptian stallion Akdar Brins out of a high % Crabbet mare Nevada Jayne. She was the Arabian Pacific Slope Champion Mare Open SHIH as a yearling. She has continued to show well and this past week was approved main mare book Oldenburg. We had thought to breed her for a sport pony but I have been looking at Oldenburg approved stallions as well.

I have a few requirements from a stallion (pony of full sized):

Oldenburg approved
    Arabian Sport Horse Nationals Payback (both of our boys are in the program, plus we show Arabian shows as well as open).
    A stallion that can put a longer neck on a mare
    Also, more uphill movment and build
    And, if a larger stallion, puts good size on foals, even from smaller mares

Black would be a nice bonus as our girl is homozygous.

So, I would like to hear from some on stallions that have crossed well on Arabian mares?

I'm not against breeding for a sport pony as our girl is vertically challenged
    (14.2 ish when she's done, I think). However, I don't really want to go with a Welsh pony.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Stacy
    Last edited by Mortazavi Farms; Oct. 2, 2009 at 12:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Rosenthal

Caletino stands at Qualhurst Farms.

HAHA! You beat me to it.....Rosenthal. He fits every requirement listed! Right down to color and SHN Payback status. PLUS -- Angela is great to work with!

(BTW - good to see you here, Stacey!)

I have a 4-yr-old Rosenthal out of a purebred Arab mare who is also GOV MMB. Mare is 15h -- this was her first foal. He sticks at 16.1 and trainer thinks he will go to 16.2 or perhaps 16.3.

Gorgeous horse, beautifully shaped neck of just the right length...incredibly balanced and really built uphill -- my FEI trainer LOVES his canter and says that it will serve him well when he is an upper level horse. He is always complimentary of how smart and easy this horse is -- and how quickly he gets everything. Very balanced and sensitive....He is so tuned in when you ride him.....just a joy. I can't wait to get on him every day.

My neighbor -- who is an event rider -- hacked him for me when I was out of town recently, and also just LOVES him. Says its the biggest, most comfortable canter he has ever ridden.

So -- yes -- I think Rosenthal is definitely the way to go for you!

(Check out the Oldenburg web site for the report on the West Coast Oldenburg show. Reserve mature horse was a lovely young mare RosEbony, by Rosenthal out of an Arab mare. Judges apparently were quite taken with her, despite her young age (three, I am thinking?) asked about the dam line and were a bit surprised to hear that she was out of a PB arab. LOVELY mare!
    Last edited by Cold Spring Farm; Oct. 2, 2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: spelling fix
    Cold Spring Farm
    German and Arabian-related GOV sporthorses

https://www.facebook.com/groups/426884770673419/

Donnarweiss GGF standing at Hilltop Farm had the had the highest scoring foal at our inspection out of an Arabian mare!! Very fancy!! Fabulous movement.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Frohwind. He's a proven cross, having produced many premium foals out of Arab mares. I have one, my friend has two. Mine is 4 now and has already earned his Legion of Merit (++)and is just 6 points from his Legion of Supreme Honor (+/), showing in open, recognized shows and Arab shows. He's had training level scores as high as 73% at recognized shows, with me riding him.

Frohwind also produces a horse with an incredible work ethic. I have two other Frohwind offspring, out of a half Arab mare I owned, so not registerable Half Arab, but one is schooling third level and the other, at 4, was just high score mare at her ISR/Old inspection and was the Mare Performance Test champion with a premium score of 72.

I know Frohwind was a payback stallion at one point - the question is, if they are all grandfathered into the program. Mine is, but not sure about the details for ones born later.

Here's video of the half Arab, Faxxsimile++, at his latest show:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BLiYNtFSjA

Tall Oaks -- any photos of that baby? Would love to see!! Love Donarweiss' breeding.

And Stacey -- I believe that the Freestyle breeding is still available on SHN Payback for $750.
    Definitely might want to look into him!
    Cold Spring Farm
    German and Arabian-related GOV sporthorses

https://www.facebook.com/groups/426884770673419/

Thank you for all the replies! I wasn't sure what I would get as I haven't been on here really. I think this is about my 4th (?) post!

Do any of you know anything about Don De Marco? He's young. Hasn't done his inspection yet. He will be going to his test next year, I believe. He would be an excellent cross with our filly, based on his photos and video.

Rosenthal for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Spring Farm View Post
    Tall Oaks -- any photos of that baby? Would love to see!! Love Donarweiss' breeding.

Sorry we don't have the photos back from the photographer yet!! Think the owner is from around your area, AmeriBrit Farm. Do you know them??
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Mortazavi Farms View Post
    Do any of you know anything about Don De Marco? He's young. Hasn't done his inspection yet. He will be going to his test next year, I believe. He would be an excellent cross with our filly, based on his photos and video.
    I would not think that Don De Marco would be a good choice for an Arabian mare. He carries a lot of heavy, older type blood, and there would be too much disparity in type between mare and stallion. You might get a foal with a big, old fashioned Donnerhall head on an Arab body, or a heavy, old type warmblood body on fine boned Arabian legs.

I agree with the Rosenthal suggestion - he has been doing a great job with Arabian mares, as has De Laurentis. I also believe that Ironman is a very good cross with Arabian mares - he carries Anglo-Arbian blood through his sire Inschallah, so is a nice match type-wise.

When you're breeding two completely different breeds, it can be a gamble, more so than normal. So I would definitely look to stallions who have produced well when crossed with your breed (Arabian.)

I would not use an unproven stallion on any of my mares - I'm just one of 'those people.' But even less so on an Arabian. There are several warmblood stallions who have consistently produced nice horses out of Arabians - I would try and look at as many of those crosses as I possibly could and then make up my mind based on the individual strengths/weaknesses of my own mare.

If you want, you can look up the show results for these Frohwind offspring in the AHA database: Faxxsimile++, Faralyn+++//, Fergus+++, Future Image++, SD Dartanian+++// (sp?)...and there are more I can't recall just now

I agree that you want to use a stallion that has produced SEVERAL Arabian crosses. You have already been given two very good suggestions in Frohwind and Rosenthal. I'd also add to the list Mannhattan, though you might not get a really tall horse from that cross, you'd definitely get a nice one!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I agree with needing to see proven crosses. That's part of why I came here as I knew that many of you have more knowledge of the breedings. My trainer and I both really liked Don De Marco, however, I understand the not knowing what he will produce in general, then the older/heavier blood.

I'm really liking Rosenthal and love the 1/2 Arabians that were on the website. And, black, the nice bonus! I haven't looked much at Frohwind yet. As for the other stallion, I would really like a boy that can throw size. Our girl is small and unless we go sport pony, we'll need more size. I know this is a silly question, we've only bred Arabian and Anglo, so this will be my first venture into warmblood, is GOV approved for Oldenburg NA? I couldn't find anything on the website.

Just booked my 14.2 hand PB Arab mare to Rosenthal. Can't wait to see that black dot this spring. And heres hoping it IS a black BOY dot!
    Dawn

will look forward to hearing about that black boy!

Quote Originally Posted by cyndi View Post
    Frohwind.

I know Frohwind was a payback stallion at one point - the question is, if they are all grandfathered into the program. Mine is, but not sure about the details for ones born later.

They are all grandfathered in. And Frohwind is a Payback stallion available for 2010, but Frozen only (due to age).
    The Inverted Y
    Thoroughbred and Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org

Don Principe has had a lovely filly this year from a pure Arab mare. I do have a photo, but can only email it. His TB blood worked well with the Arab lines.
    He also had another filly out of a WB/Arab cross mare that went Premium GOV in PA.

Maryanna Haymon
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2007 USEF Breeder of the Year!

http://www.shnpayback.com/Stallions_09.html

I think this is the list of stallions on the ASHN Payback program.. Rosenthal is on it for 2009..so is Redwine ( anyone know of arab/redwine crosses? Bet that would be cool)

Quote Originally Posted by Mortazavi Farms View Post
    I know this is a silly question, we've only bred Arabian and Anglo, so this will be my first venture into warmblood, is GOV approved for Oldenburg NA? I couldn't find anything on the website.
    GOV and Oldenburg NA are two separate registries and they are not reciprocal.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.