The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who has major medical and/or mortality on their horse?

How much, who is your plan with, any problems, successes, pro's and con's?
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

I am actually in the process of insuring my horse right now. As for the mortality, that is based on how much you want to insure the horse for. A rate for a $70,000 horse will be much more than a $2,000 horse. The company I am using (Feigel? I think thats how its spelled. ) has a rate of $275 for major medical with a $7500 limit. For somewhere around $400 you can get major medical with a limit of $10,000.

I've got it - or I should say HAD it. I'm pretty pissed off right now. Broadstone just dropped my MM on my horse because he's 16. I know you can't get a new policy on a horse that's over 16. I've carried this policy on him for the past two years partly because he IS older and I wanted to KEEP him insured. They certainly never indicated that they would refuse to continue to insure him. I will tell you they have been right bastards to deal with about everything, IMO. They refused to pay a claim for pedal osteoitis, then excluded that the following year as a "pre-existing condition." So it availed me not one red cent to try to file the claim, AND forever rendered it impossible that I might EVER have a successful claim for that problem. Although technically, it's not Broadstone, it's the Hartford. I still think they're all jackasses, at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by spmoonie View Post
    I am actually in the process of insuring my horse right now. As for the mortality, that is based on how much you want to insure the horse for. A rate for a $70,000 horse will be much more than a $2,000 horse. The company I am using (Feigel? I think thats how its spelled. ) has a rate of $275 for major medical with a $7500 limit. For somewhere around $400 you can get major medical with a limit of $10,000.
    is that $275 a month, semi anual, or a year? i've never gotten into horse insurance to know how it goes.

That price is per year but it is a rider to a mortality policy so you have to buy that too. There is also a deductible, mine is $500 but that varies.

I have major medical and mortality on all my horses. I keep their mortality pretty low (under 5k) but I make sure they have plenty of major medical/ surgical.

I'm not trying to make money if they die, I want to make sure I can do everything to save them.

This Feb. my horse got a horrid colitis, he was rushed to New Bolton but they couldn't save him.

My insurance company was wonderful, handled everything for me (getting the bill from New Bolton etc) and payed for everything and sent me his mortality payment less than a week after he passed.

They were the last thing I had to worry about in a horrible situation (as they should have been).

www.equineinsurancecenter.com

Insured x 2 here. I have mortality & MM. It runs ~$500 per year per horse. I like not having to worry about taking tthem to the vet if its an emergancy.

To much danger of losing a young horse to barn fire/colic/some pasture accident. Its not that much $ compared to what I got back from Dobbin.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    Insured x 2 here. I have mortality & MM. It runs ~$500 per year per horse. I like not having to worry about taking tthem to the vet if its an emergancy.
    I have MM & M, and it's $550/year for a dressage horse. I'm using Barnes Equine as agent, the underwritter is Great American.

The cost varies depending on if you do eventing vs. dressage vs. pleasure, etc.

Yes, with Dietrich & Co, never had any problems, they're great to work with. I don't remember what the premium is--it varies with the horse's value, age, and what they're used for.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    I have major medical and mortality on all my horses. I keep their mortality pretty low (under 5k) but I make sure they have plenty of major medical/ surgical.
    Are you carrying more MM than mortality on your horses? Curious what company allows that.

I had a carrier that would do that for a while, but in the past couple of years, I've only been able to get MM up to the amount of mortality...

I have my young horse insured through Equisure. I;m not sure how others got MM insurance for less than mortality. Basically if I wanted 10K of medical, I had to insure for 10K of mortality.
    I'm glad I have it, a tooth root abscess adds up quickly! I did not like the fact that they would only cover the first 60 days of the 'injury'. So, any treatment that extends from this period is out of your pocket. Lesson learned - READ the fine print.

I'm rapidly concluding that it's useless unless your horse has an event for which there are zero and I mean zero prexisting conditions in prior years.

Here's my situation. Horse lost weight last year - Nov./Dec. We did a baseline blood test. Nothing conclusive, everything in normal ranges. Liver in high-normal range. Vet not worried, said feed him more and we'll keep an eye on it. I renewed my insurance, didn't declare anything new because there was nothing new.

Late Jan. Horse eating more, top line vanishing. More tests. Liver enymes now elevated. Course of SMZ.

March. Recheck. Enzymes still elevated but not scary high, horse doing OK in terms of conditon, is improving.

Sept. Top line starts to go again, weight dips. Tests. Enzymes not great. Rec's liver ultrasound. Done. Has bile stone prob from underlying infection. Attacking w/ 60 days if SMZ and muscle supplements. Prognosis is good.

Yesterday get letter from insurance. Because of the inconclusive blood test in Nov of 08, they won't cover liver-related expenses.

Now, frankly, it's a wash. Had I thought to mention that bloodwork in Nov. found enzymes that were high-normal, they probably would have excluded liver issues, so I would be on the hook either way, I guess.

Point is, IMHO major medical is valuable only if your horse develops something new within a calendar year.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    Are you carrying more MM than mortality on your horses? Curious what company allows that.

I had a carrier that would do that for a while, but in the past couple of years, I've only been able to get MM up to the amount of mortality...
    My horse is insured for 4k with 10k worth of major medical and 12k worth of surgical.

MM is not really meant to be long-term health insurance, although a lot of times we think of it as such. A horse with a pre-existing condition is virtually always "dropped" for that condition, and that is true for all carriers for the most part. That's because they're insuring the owner against sudden and unexpected veterinary costs, not providing long-term cost reduction for an animal with chronic health problems. The model is more for catastrophic care rather than long-term care.

I have one of my four horses insured - my daughter's H/J horse that we show. I have Major Medical (up to $8K) with no deductible, and mortality ($20K) - cost is ~1000/yr. - through Markel.

I also know a lot of people that use E.M.O. insurance.

We lost our prize mare about a year and a half ago, with no insurance...after many thousands spent on every known treatment, we had to let her go. Beyond the deep sadness we experienced, she was also a total financial loss.

However, I don't have insurance on our horses that we only ride for pleasure.

Thumbs up Roger Peters Ins. Underwritter: Great American

I LOVE this company!!! Not only were they awesome people to deal with, but they pay right away!

I pay $450 for MM & M on my 4 year old *useless* miniature. Major medical/surgical is $7500 and his mortality is $5000. I probably shouldn't mention that I rescued the little bugger...

They covered the gelding 2 years ago, they covered his allergy tests this past summer & allergy shots, and I had a check in my hands within 1-2 weeks. I even asked about him being exempted from allergies next year and they said if I can get him off the maintence allergy shots for a whole year then they would be happy to take the allergy exemption off.

I LOVE them!
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

so, (again, i know nothing about horse insurance) does this only cover major things like surgeries/accidents/emergencies? or does it include maintenance things like floating, shots, etc? sorry if that question seems a bit obvious, but i really have no idea.

I have my 3 horses insured through Broadstone equine, and I have had excellent results with them. Two of my horses have required a surgery. Instead of paying me, I spoke to them and they paid the vet hospital directly (which was huge since one horse had a $7,000 bill). They have always been extremely helpful. My horses are insured for major medical and mortality.
    ~Jet Lag~
    ~Willie Cruise~
    ~Calypso Bob~

Major medical is NOT "health insurance" per se, it's not meant to keep the horse healthy. It's there if and when the horse gets sick or injured. Therefore routine things like preventive care, etc. are not covered, not meant to be covered, by this sort of policy. It's for catastrophic situations or for emergencies.

I have full mortality with Roger Peters on my POA. I think my premium is 150/yr.
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight