The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog barking/crying on a night?

I'm puzzled by one of my dogs. He's almost five, and ever since he was a puppy, he'll suddenly start barking/crying on a night. His usual patten is to be fine for months, then cry/bark for a couple of nights, then be fine for months...

Nothing changes on the nights he cries/barks- he sleeps in the kitchen with the other dogs, on a nice cosy dog bed. They are all let out to toilet before being put to bed.

There's nothing physically wrong with him. He's quite a sensitive soul, and very attached to me. (But he doesn't cry on the nights when I'm away from home)

Any ideas why he does this?

Thanks!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Is the moon full?

Yup, pay attention to the phase of the moon. Although the dog may not be affected himself by the moon, the wild critters are definitely more active during full/large moons, so he could be "talking" to another beastie outside prowling around.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Is your dog on the oral flea control Comfortis by any chance? I did read in their literature that increased barking can be one of the side effects of that.

From the FAQ sheet on their website:

"Additional adverse reactions observed in the clinical studies were decreased appetite, lethargy or decreased activity, diarrhea, cough, increased thirst, vocalization, increased appetite, redness of the skin, hyperactivity and excessive salivation. These reactions were regarded as mild and did not result in any dog being removed from the studies."
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Is he "talking in his sleep" or is he fully awake when he does it?

We've had some little dogs that did a fair amount of "yipping" while deep in sleep. Sometimes their feet would twich and their legs would move while they were at it.

Moon isn't full.

He's awake when he does it.

I did find the cause of last night's barking, I think- my OH bought a spray air freshener thingy (One of these) and my poor dog is scared of it. I've taken it out of the kitchen, so we'll see.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Moon isn't full.

He's awake when he does it.

I did find the cause of last night's barking, I think- my OH bought a spray air freshener thingy (One of these) and my poor dog is scared of it. I've taken it out of the kitchen, so we'll see.
    Many moons ago I woke up in the middle of the night with a dog nose pushing at me. Room is quiet, dog is staring at me and shaking like a leaf.
    I thought maybe he had some dietary induced issues so I got up, and let him out. He came in, we went back up to bed; seemed fine. 15 minutes later, we repeat the whole sequence, but I know he just went out and sniffed around that time. The third time, when we got downstairs he just went over and hopped on the sofa and stared at me. I gave up and slept on the sofa with the dog.

In the morning, I went back upstairs and found my pager (I said it was many moons ago) had gone off. It was on vibrate on the dresser. After the first signal, it would go off every 20 minutes until turned off.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

coyotes too far away for humans to hear?

My guys always want to sing with them. Even though they can't sing. Their mother never cared. My old dog never cared... but these two want to join in. Before they (very recently) learned how to howl, they would either bark or whine.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

There's something going on like wildlife, visiting dogs, that cat he likes to chase, outside. Or maybe it's a bitch in heat, coming around..