The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Decision to be made for our rescue..wwyd?

So I have leased the farm I am at for almost 5 years...it will be 5 years in December. GREAT place..the owners live there and are pretty tolerant of whatever I do (pony club meetings, the rescues, have cats, etc). I love the location (in an equestrian community) and have great neighbors... I am closer to them than my "real" neighbors where I live! Our rescue co-founder lives across the street and our treasurer is next door.
    The problem though, is I am maxed out for space. I have 5 stalls (really 4 but I converted my hayroom into a stall, which means the hay sits in the aisleway and my feed is in my small tackroom). That means I have reached the maximum amount for rescues I can take in as well as boarders...I have 1 boarder @ $525, which off-sets my $700 lease. The mini's live outside but have shelter (and come in at night when there is an empty stall) and I have an old QH mare who stays out (even if I had a stall for her, I prefer she live out).
    I really, really, like it here. I have security and I love my neighbors.
    The biggest problem? I live 30 minutes away. Not a huge problem when my oldest daughter was in highschool and could help, but now she is in college in Tampa, so I have no break unless I pay a pony clubber every now and then to help. I come to the barn in the morning between 5 and 6 am. I have to leave by 8 to get to work at 9am. Then back to the barn after work at 6ish and home between 8 and 9, depending on what needs to be done. I come home EXHAUSTED! I do have a husband and a 17 year old daughter at home who need me..thankfully tho, when I started working full time last year, my husband took over cooking, but there is still laundry, cleaning and being a mom and wife!
    So I have an opportunity to lease a barn that is 10-15 minutes from my house. Also on 5 acres, but it is a new barn with 10 stalls. Which means I could board a few more horses and take in a few more rescues. But it costs $2200 a month, which is a big leap for me. I would have to have at least 3 boarders, which I think I have lined up. But I would be leaving a sure thing as far as security goes, to an unknown. I would hate to go to a farm where there are problems/bs, etc and find myself suddenly having to move a bunch of horses. And, I will be leaving my neighborhood support system. But, the thought of having a much shorter commute, which might mean I can actually ride Tucker more than a couple times a week, plus be home more, is really desirable! I am sooooo torn! What would you do?

Oh, Lori, BIG decision!!! a few things came to mind...

(1) you would be saving, via commute, 30 min each day (although the closer farm would let you "drop" by and perhaps be more efficient).

(2) How great is the demand for stalls? Would you be comfortable with the extra work?
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Unless you can find someone to volunteer to help with the day to day work, I think the "new" barn situation will just mean MORE work. You can't really rely on boarders to offset your expenses for the rescue. Plus, you're struggling (time wise) to care for 5. 10 will be more work.

I can clean 5 stalls, throw hay, do buckets, etc in 1 hour. That's w/o any additional upkeep. So you might be saving 30 min in driving...but you're adding at LEAST an hour of day to day work PLUS going to a facility where you would be under the gun to fill stalls with boarders else, you tank.

I would vote to stay put.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I just went thought something very similar.

To make matters even more complicated there is a facility that was offered to us for $700 a month with 16 stalls, 12 paddocks, four pastures and a outside arena. Only 25 miles from here but all back, ugly roads, so we are looking at a 45 minute drive in good weather and more than an hour in bad weather. This would be self care too so LOTS of bad weather driving. Four of the horses would be there full time for the program too, which would leave Katie alone. Let alone defeat my purpose for the kids having the whole farm experience when they come.

With the economy so iffy I am afraid to take on anything that requires more possible out of pocket expense. $2200 is a big chunk of change each month, especially not really knowing the owners etc. I think I would be too scared to do it.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I would stay put and when you find a home for one rescue don't fill that stall right away. see if you can find someone to board to cover the cost of extra help.

I know it is one more that could use help but if you don't have the time right now, it will only get worst.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Thanks! You have helped me see the light! Which I knew all along, I just needed some convincing! Mainly, I like the security I have right now. I am not worried about being told I have a month evacuate (or less!).
    And before I give someone else $2200, I will make hubby finally buy me my farm...that is one hell of a mortgage!
    And that is the goal right now...Amanda graduates in 2 years, we will be buying a farm then, so I just need to deal with the situation until then!

Stay put. With 10 stalls you cannot profit on a $2200 a month lease unless you are charging a large boarding fee.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Lori--I hope you didn't take my post as a downer...I'm just kind of a realist. I think what you're doing is GREAT! It's just that financially speaking, I'm of the mind that you have to be able to cover it all on your own comfortably before it makes sense. 2200 is a LOT of $$.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Lori--I hope you didn't take my post as a downer...I'm just kind of a realist. I think what you're doing is GREAT! It's just that financially speaking, I'm of the mind that you have to be able to cover it all on your own comfortably before it makes sense. 2200 is a LOT of $$.
    Nope, I didn't! You guys helped me see what I knew all along!

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Just because - I thought your post was insightful and honest BuddyRoo.

LoriT - the thought of being obligated for $2200 a month would give me pause. I have 5 acres, home, 4 stall barn, fenced and crossed fenced and my mtg payment is way less than $2200 a month. I don't care how nice the barn is, if you can't live there it's an outrageous amount of money.