The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who is liable?

I have an almost new Moritz Saddlery hunt bridle that I was selling to a friend. It was a full size and I needed cob, so we agreed on a very fair price and she took the bridle and began using it, with the song and dance of "I will bring you the money tomorrow".

Well, she decided she did NOT want it after all, and gave it back to me... but it's completely ruined! Her horse chewed the reins so badly they are falling apart, the leather was so dry and cracked that when I attempted to take it apart for oiling, the leather ripped where it was touching other leather (like in the keepers and sliders). It's so dry that you can make an entire full size rein stand on end like a stick. I definitely did not give it to her in this condition, it was soft and supple and in new condition.

She also returned a cooler and saddle pad I had given her covered in dog urine and shavings, disgusting, but washable, so I guess that is besides the point.

I cannot sell the bridle now at anywhere near it's value (or, it's value before it got ruined) if for anything at all, I certainly cannot use it. The reins need to be replaced, and the hooks on the ends need to be replaced on the headstall, not sure if its even worth it.

I asked for $100 to cover the damages and repairs. Is that being unfair? Is she liable for the damages to it, or would it be me since money never really changed hands to begin with?

Thanks!

How long did she have it?

It would take quite awhile for a bridle in new, mint condition to get as bad as you indicate.

I'm also guessing you didn't get anything in writing. If not, you're SOL.

If this 'friend' had the cojones to give you back everything in as bad a state as you say, she's not your friend, and don't expect any recompense.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

well...since it sounds like she had the gear for awhile and you never collected payment I don't think you're going to get anything from this "friend". So I think unfortunately in this situation you are just going to have to eat the cost and know in the future that nothing of yours will ever be "purchased" by this friend again unless 100% of payment is provided upfront. Sorry this happened though, I hate when friends take advantage of you.

Also, I would think $100 would be reasonable to ask but I highly doubt that your friend is going to pay it, even as a good will payment. Doesn't sound like she is that kind of person.

Thanks guys, she only had it about 4-5 months, she had just bought the horse and then had a vet bill, so I let it slide for a while (she was also going to buy my old saddle from me, but never paid up so I sold it to another party, which is why she gave everything back). I don't know how it got in such bad shape in a short amount of time, it almost looks as if she used some kind of household cleaner on it or something, it's very odd. I did ask what happened to it, but haven't heard back... its doubtful that I will. Which is unfortunate as we board at the same barn!

I guess I will chalk it up as one of life's lessons and rejoice that it was the bridle, not the saddle, that got ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by redears View Post

She also returned a cooler and saddle pad I had given her covered in dog urine and shavings, disgusting, but washable, so I guess that is besides the point.
    Holy Cow! I can't even IMAGINE returning something to someone in that condition! I would be embarrassed!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Unfortunately redears, it's one of those expensive life lessons we all get, but hate!

If she left the bridle out in the weather, it could very easily have fallen apart in that length of time.

I'm sorry she turned out to be a false friend, but as you said, at least it wasn't the saddle.

You've lost the value of the items, yes, but you have also lost someone who is NOT a friend - so good riddance!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

how nice of her, chalk it up to a lesson learned and never ever let her use anything again. also in case you were wondering you now know that she is not your friend but a sorry using loser.

You got off cheap and found out what a dishonest, miserable excuse for a 'friend' she is. If she had possession of your saddle you would have been out a lot more money, and you found out her true colors before she had a chance to do more. She wasn't a friend, she was a user.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I think she owes you a new bridle or payment in full for the one she wrecked. It was implied that she would care for it while it was in her control.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Woodland, I think we all agree this 'friend' should pay for the bridle.

However, the condition in which the bridle and saddle pads were returned tells me redears may as well bay at the moon for payment.

Thanks guys, she only had it about 4-5 months, she had just bought the horse and then had a vet bill, so I let it slide for a while (she was also going to buy my old saddle from me, but never paid up so I sold it to another party, which is why she gave everything back). I don't know how it got in such bad shape in a short amount of time, it almost looks as if she used some kind of household cleaner on it or something, it's very odd. I did ask what happened to it, but haven't heard back... its doubtful that I will. Which is unfortunate as we board at the same barn!

I guess I will chalk it up as one of life's lessons and rejoice that it was the bridle, not the saddle, that got ruined.

So... letting the $ slide for the bridle for 4-5 months because she had a vet bill... on the horse that was wearing your bridle for the 4-5 months? If she was able to ride the horse w/ bridle she was able to pay for the bridle too.

How much was the sale price to begin with? She should replace the whole bridle - new. Some friend eh? I doubt friend will pay you... but hopefully she does!

I agree w/ others, it's money thrown to the wind and one of those "no good deed goes unpunished" experiences. You should talk to her face to face with all the equipment you gave her and tell her how disappointed you are at her actions. Ask for some type of payment, maybe her sense of responsibility will return. Good luck.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

She is. But good luck squeezing the blood out of that particular turnip. I wouldn't refer to her as a friend anymore either. Maybe user would be a better word for her. You could try a nice mature reasoned discussion, but I'd be surprised if she takes responsibility and coughs up any money to compensate you. She should have just paid you the agreed upon amount and kept the bridle herself, but that would have been the ethical thing to do and from her returning the other items in a dirty state, I don't think that's how she rolls.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

I agree that you probably won't get your $, but I would definitely let her know that she ruined your bridle.

I had a "friend" do this to me. She borrowed my Benneton shirt (anyone remember those, the blue and white striped rugbies with Benneton written across the front in big letters?) anyway, she came over when I wasn't home and left it in my room. She had washed it wrong and the whole thing bleed so it was a light blue and blue rugby...I wasn't so much upset about her ruining the shirt, as I was by the way she handled it. Obviously she wanted to avoid the confrontation, but it really hurt me.

Thanks again, I was able to get it back, she bought the nasty blanket, etc back. I still have a saddle pad but I'm trying to get her to buy her, her horse had a skin problem a few months ago and even with washing it, I'm scared to use it.

She used Murphy's oil Soap and lysol to clean the bridle. I have been trying to pep it up and it looks pretty good, going to sell it for cheap at a tack swap.

What goes around comes around. It sounds to me like you are getting what you give.

Maybe you can sell some of my stuff (if you haven't already) to recoup some of your loss.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

You could try small claims but....I had a "friend" run over my saddle (that SHE put behind her truck) and never made that right! Cost me nearly a thousand dollars to get the tree replaced! TO THIS DAY she feels that she was NOT at fault. What a loser. Try to get the money but if you dont want the hassle at least toss this "friend" to the curb before she costs you something more....
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Thanks guys, she only had it about 4-5 months, she had just bought the horse and then had a vet bill, so I let it slide for a while....
    At this point, if she had been a real friend, she would have given you back the bridle and said thanks, but I can't afford it right now. I doubt you'll see a penny.

Put it in the column of "Note to self: NEVER sell tack/horse/anything without full payment in hand."

I hate it when people treat me like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    What goes around comes around. It sounds to me like you are getting what you give.

Maybe you can sell some of my stuff (if you haven't already) to recoup some of your loss.
    Ouch....maybe the other side of the story?