The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Video: A new way to halt at X!

Well, here's a final halt that will be remembered for a while!
    http://www.barnmice.com/video/a-very-spectacular-halt

Hahahaha very cute! Wonder what the rider thought....I reckon I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry if it were me! Loved the remount, salute and applause
    Blog posts, updates & videos tweeted to all my followers on Twitter!www.OnceUponADressageDream.com ~ www.twitter.com/dressageblog
    www.youtube.com/cheekywb

When he started blowing his nose so hard, I knew he was going to pull something, I just wasn't sure what.

That's hilarious! He's like "I'm done, that was really hard!"

Well handled by the rider, no? Too cute!

I can't say I would be as cool under pressure as that rider, good for her. The pony is so cute. Surely one for the rider's family video album.

Wonder how the judge scored that one!

OMG. Well handled by the rider. Thats just to cute. I to wonder how the judge scored that.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

well she took it on the chin - bless her

OMG!!! Naughty, naughty pinto! The rider handled that so well. Wonder how hard she and the judge were laughing.

Well handled by rider...

Naughty Pony!!!

Very impressed by that rider! Way to handle that pony!!

Lol, I wonder if that was the first time the pony has done that...
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

...I don't think so - it looks like that is one of his tricks judging by the way she knew just what to do!

I'm thinking that had happened before since everyone starting laughing the second the pony went down. If my horses legs suddenly buckled at the halt I would be concerned not laughing, so I'd say its happened before and they are lucking there is no entering salute. So whats the rule for a horse falling (by eventing rules, this horse had a "fall") in dressage? Anybody know what country this was in? England?

No, actually, she didn't handle it well, and it appears to be a long standing habit. Instead of doing nothing or laughing when it's over, when you feel the horse's legs start to buckle, and he stops moving forward, you know he is intending to lie down. You think fast, you feel what he's doing, you react very very quickly, you very quickly start punishing the horse, and then make them gallop forward, and you do whatever you have to do to make them gallop forward, and then it becomes not a habit. If he does it only at the halt, then you gallop forward out of the halt. Horse show? So what? If you don't like doing it at a horse show, stay at home til the habit is fixed.

No, actually, the horse is not in pain. The saddle does not hurt. He is not lame. He doesn't have anything wrong with his back. He isn't doing this because someone was mean to him or he had a traumatic foalhood. He does this because he's learned to do this, because it gets him out of work. A horse thinks one second ahead. If lying down reduces his work load for one split second the behavior is rewarded. Just like a chronic rearer learns to rear - he doesn't care if the rider then dismounts, takes him to a round pen, makes him run in the round pen for an hour, yells at him and then gets back on him and 'teaches him a lesson'...he only understands the moment, he rears, and the rider is paralyzed and does nothing. Reward.

Usually, little kids learn this with little ponies. Little ponies are often quite smart after years of undisciplined riding and little training, and they start doing these things.

It is a dangerous habit, and it is not funny, actually. A person can get hurt with a 700-1200 lb animal lying down on their leg (watched someone break their foot in about 16 places when a horse laid down on them), and it is also the kind of habit that gets an animal wound up in a dog food can. It tends to escalate, and it tends to wind up with the animal throwing himself down more and more abruptly, such as while cantering, and so with more and more serious injury to the rider.

This pony was showing a problem the entire test, it was even more obvious from the time he started with the loud blowing of his nose and was being disobedient under saddle, you can see the rider waggling his head back and forth rapidly in an effort to get him to stop pulling on her. He's a bad actor, and he needs to be fixed, and it's the responsibility of the rider to fix it, and not just sell their problems they made to someone else or have their problems put down.

No, actually, she didn't handle it well, and it appears to be a long standing habit. Instead of doing nothing or laughing when it's over, when you feel the horse's legs start to buckle, and he stops moving forward, you know he is intending to lie down. You think fast, you feel what he's doing, you react very very quickly, you very quickly start punishing the horse, and then make them gallop forward, and you do whatever you have to do to make them gallop forward, and then it becomes not a habit. If he does it only at the halt, then you gallop forward out of the halt. Horse show? So what? If you don't like doing it at a horse show, stay at home til the habit is fixed.

No, actually, the horse is not in pain. The saddle does not hurt. He is not lame. He doesn't have anything wrong with his back. He isn't doing this because someone was mean to him or he had a traumatic foalhood. He does this because he's learned to do this, because it gets him out of work. A horse thinks one second ahead. If lying down reduces his work load for one split second the behavior is rewarded. Just like a chronic rearer learns to rear - he doesn't care if the rider then dismounts, takes him to a round pen, makes him run in the round pen for an hour, yells at him and then gets back on him and 'teaches him a lesson'...he only understands the moment, he rears, and the rider is paralyzed and does nothing. Reward.

Usually, little kids learn this with little ponies. Little ponies are often quite smart after years of undisciplined riding and little training, and they start doing these things.

It is a dangerous habit, and it is not funny, actually. A person can get hurt with a 700-1200 lb animal lying down on their leg (watched someone break their foot in about 16 places when a horse laid down on them), and it is also the kind of habit that gets an animal wound up in a dog food can. It tends to escalate, and it tends to wind up with the animal throwing himself down more and more abruptly, such as while cantering, and so with more and more serious injury to the rider.

This pony was showing a problem the entire test, it was even more obvious from the time he started with the loud blowing of his nose and was being disobedient under saddle, you can see the rider waggling his head back and forth rapidly in an effort to get him to stop pulling on her. He's a bad actor, and he needs to be fixed, and it's the responsibility of the rider to fix it, and not just sell their problems they made to someone else or have their problems put down.
    OH my, the horror!!! I'd cut the young person some slack in these circumstances. You are assuming a lot of things there that might be just in your head.

It's quite possible she was completely taken by surprise and so did not react in the way you would have liked,slc.

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    OH my, the horror!!! I'd cut the young person some slack in these circumstances.

It's quite possible she was completely taken by surprise and so did not react in the way you would have liked,slc.
    I agree, it just a cute pony and kid doing a dressage test. It's funny. The kid wasn't doing PSG.

I would use the same statements to support my position.