The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default As if I weren't about to lose my mind already....

... please tell me about pigeon fever.

I'm convinced my gelding has contracted it and the vet (love him, not so much today though) pretty much told me to wait and see.

I don't "wait and see."

He's got a scrape on his belly with this amber-like ooze coming from it. Seriously, today I thought we were going to be able to recreate Jurrasic Park from what I pulled from it.
    Vet said it may just be a reaction to the flies - Yeah. that's ONE way to put it... - and to keep putting SWAT on it twice a day.

To compound all this, I'm going out of town tomorrow and am |-| this close to having a heart attack about it. Really? Do we have to wait and see if it abscesses before anything can be done about it?

Bahhh, everything we get somewhere AWESOME with this gelding we hit a setback. I mean... awesome news last week and now... this. Help!

ETA: Ever read something/see someone/hear something and KNOW it's going to happen? Yeah. Reading the rabies thread the other day, I read "pigeon fever is making a resurgence too" and red warning lights started going off in my head, like "get ready, you'll have to deal with this." dddaaammmnnnnnnn, sometimes I wish I were wrong about these things!

never had the problem, I can tell you what I read many years ago about it.

I am sure somebody will be on later (putiing it in the title would speed up responses though I am sure)

But from what I gather in most cases the wait and see is the one thing you can do, and what you drain from the abcesses should be collected and disposed of. The germ causing it lives in the ground for years. (the pictures in the magazine illustrating it were kinda gross)

So BREATHE. I am sure if the Vet thought it was urgent he/she told you so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

bumping this, because I know somebody can help you out
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Well, generally pigeon fever does not present in the manner that you described. Generally you will get a large swelling that after several days or even weeks will burst and ooze lots of thick yellowish puss. If you want to feel like you are doing something proactive take your horse's temperature daily.

Here's a CSU release on it in Aug noting that cases are up:
    http://www.news.colostate.edu/Release/4746

Here's some info from CSU from 2002:
    http://www.news.colostate.edu/Release/2692#

I know a few people who's horse's have it right now in the Boulder area.

Your symptoms are unusual from what I've heard- usually there is a big swelling that then abcesses. Good luck- I know how stressful it is to go out of town when your horse is potentially sick.

Don't freak out yet. I've had horses get cuts/scrapes and have had them occasionally get that amber-ish, clear-ish liquid ooze (and then eventually it dries into a coating on it), and I've never had a case of pigeon fever (we don't even really have it here in Ohio as far as I know). And in one horse he did have reactions to fly bites so keeping him fly sprayed/covered when necessary fixed the problem.

Get a second opinion if you're going out of town and very concerned. Never hurts, could always help.

Good luck!