The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eq&Mdl-Rider Guest

Unhappy Touchy Subject!! HELP

Hi all,

I have a fellow rider at my barn that is 15 and is having severe swelling and issues, "down there" when she rides. Our trainer thinks a lot of it has to do w/ her saddle and they are searching for a new one. Her Dr. told her the only solution was to stop riding and that isn't going to happen.

Has anyone had any issues like this and found a remedy? Please help!!

Thanks!!

Different saddle, sheepskin seat saver, Saddlebums breeches with the padded seat.

Some saddles simply don't work for some people (one particular brand regardless of style routinely draws blood from me, but I've never had a problem with any other).

You might want to read this thread from the archives about the Inverness Problem
    http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ad.php?t=35468

Eq&Mdl-Rider Guest

thanks for your posts but we never get to ride in jeans....It's always breeches..

Seatsaver for sure.

One thing I just thought of- cycling shorts! I started cycling this spring and I could never go back to regular clothes, I don't see why they wouldn't help in this situation. Wear them under pants or full seat / thicker breeches. Get some good quality ones as they have better "pads" inside- I recommend Giordana.

I never EVER had that problem until all of a sudden. I couldn't figure it out until I realized I switched saddles. No idea what the difference was but I switched back and it was fine! I know I was bumping the pommel on the new one but it was something different other than that.

Probably finding a new saddle that fits her will help. I know a tiny lady who had the same issue in a Tad Coffin saddle. She tried a Butet and Antaras, had the same discomfort, then no problems in a CWD. I guess the wider pommel worked better for her.

I have always found a narrow twist saddle to be more comfortable for ppl with that sort of problem than a wider twist.

perhaps frequent bathing will help

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    perhaps frequent bathing will help
    How does that make any sense?

a consult with a quality saddle fitter is money well spent.
    They fit the saddle to both horse and rider.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Two years ago I posted about my upcoming labiaplasty. I got lots of criticism but also a lot of support. If the labia decend below a certain point there will always be this problem and it is not correctable except by surgery.

I rode with this problem for years. Changed saddles, got breeches with no seams, laundered in hypo allergenic detergents, tried padded undies.

Nothing else helped until the surgery. I'm kicking myself for not having it done sooner. This is a very personal subject but needs to be discussed because I found that many riders had this problem and had no idea that there is a simple solution.

The swelling is a major result of this problem. I hope she finds a doctor willing to talk about this with her if this is indeed her issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedazzle View Post
    How does that make any sense?

Since the OP was no more specific than "..swelling & issues..." it sounded to me like an infection. Cleanliness helps that. Along with medication. Which makes perfect sense.

Apparently you know more about this person's condition than it just being "..swelling & issues..."

I was not trying to be snotty. I was just confused on how bathing could help seeing as it was more described, at least in my eyes, as the saddle bumping and causing swelling in that area.

I never had the issue myself but I have noticed while using someone elses saddle at times that is wider I can see where an issue could occur

Bike shorts are a great invention, maybe wear them under jeans or breeches, see if that helps for the meantime while saddle shopping.

Change the saddle, add a sheepskin seat saver (a blessing when recovering after the birth of my son) and/or padding. Also maybe try drinking cranberry juice in case she's experiencing a yeast infection/urinary tract issues.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Had a similar problem at one time with a saddle with a higher pommel. While getting rid of it, I used a product called Glide, which is basically a lubricant. It helped my chafing issue (altho not the banging of the pubic bone against the pommel issue!)

Is it chafing causing irritation and inflammation? or swelling with no visable tissue irritation????
    Sometimes a person can experience angioedema ( related to hives) from constant pressure in a specific area. If not irritated, may consider seeing a allergist/immunologist>

Quote Originally Posted by alter pain View Post
    Two years ago I posted about my upcoming labiaplasty. I got lots of criticism but also a lot of support. If the labia decend below a certain point there will always be this problem and it is not correctable except by surgery.

I rode with this problem for years. Changed saddles, got breeches with no seams, laundered in hypo allergenic detergents, tried padded undies.

Nothing else helped until the surgery. I'm kicking myself for not having it done sooner. This is a very personal subject but needs to be discussed because I found that many riders had this problem and had no idea that there is a simple solution.

The swelling is a major result of this problem. I hope she finds a doctor willing to talk about this with her if this is indeed her issue.
    Never heard of this before but it sure sounds like if she has tired everything, it makes sense. Wouldn't hurt to get her in for a simple anatomy check. My father is an OBGYN and he has told me all women are different just like their height, weight, color, and he said "everything" is different and he does that for a living.
    But if the world made sense ....men would ride side saddle.
    I have to admire you for going this direction and saving yourself the pain and fixing the problem.

BridalBridle

I didn't know the possible variations either. I kept having my instructor tell me to sit. I kept telling her that it hurt and I was so frustrated with my progress as well as the discomfort. If it hadn't been for the internet I would have never figured it out. Then when I went to my OBGYN she said she was surprised that I never complained about it. Wow, talk about miscommunication. I think doctors should routinely ask if the patient is in pain when they present with this problem. Sometimes its too embarrassing to ask. You just cannot believe the difference after the surgery.