The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Daily wormer for my 37yr old,yes or no?

I'm trying to fatten my old boy up for the up coming winter.He's on a solid deworming program,but I'm wondering if daily wormer would be a good move?

I personally love daily dewormer...just had fecal checks and my guys were clean.

If you decide to go that route...www.saddlesource.com has the 50lb bags on sale for 134.99....just make sure that you call them and tell them that you got the coupon...they honored it over the phone, even though I live in NC and they are in PA..shipping wasn't bad...22.99

Thank you so much!

Oh should mention..that sale is only good thru tomorrow

Yeh,I checked it out,will order immediately,thank you kindly!

no- its better to worm a horse ona worming programme by seasons of the year and cycles of the worm -as horse can become imune to the wormers adn therefore wont work

Yeah I vote heck no as well but it looks like you have already made up your mind.

There's a horse at my barn that is 37 years old on the daily wormer. Never had any problems.
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Love the stuff. Had all my old guys on it per my vet's recommendation.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    no- its better to worm a horse ona worming programme by seasons of the year and cycles of the worm -as horse can become imune to the wormers adn therefore wont work
    That's YOUR opinion.....the daily dewormer is working for us so far, therefore, my vet told me NOT to change the program. They are becoming immune to ALL dewormers which is why veterinarians are starting to reexamine deworming protocals.

I agree. The jury is waaay out on this whole issue, and until a new product line is developed, no one system has the magic answer for everyone. I daily worm, and paste worm three times a year: September-- Ivermectin, January--Equimax for tapeworms, May--Ivermectin. The vet is happy and does not recommend a change, and the horses are fine. The biggest problem you may find is that an elderly horse may not be interested in actually eating it, because they don't like the taste. I would borrow a dose or two from a friend first to make sure your horse will even eat it before investing in the whole bucket. My 34 year old mare hated it.

Thanks for all the advice and I didn't order it yet.I wanted to think about it a bit.

The last several years of his life, I had my elderly (30+) gelding on daily wormer, b/c he colicked several times after paste worming. Didn't matter what we used - I was under a vet's supervision - but his gut just reacted badly. His fecals were always negative, and my vet finally said to switch to daily...paste worming was too stressful on the old man's system. He never had a positive fecal, so it worked for us.
    In memory of Rebuff (1974-2009)

Rest in peace, my sweet man

I have a stupid question, If the horse is always negative on his fecals, why do the dailey worming?

I am not trying to start a train wreck, just curious....really!

My old man was on daily wormer for about ten years, until he died at 34. I think it helped keep him in good weight.

Have you powerpaked him? I'd check with your vet and do that and wait for results before you start him on a daily.
    -Jessica

I often wonder, if we did fecals, would we find out that we don't really need so many of these deworming products.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    I often wonder, if we did fecals, would we find out that we don't really need so many of these deworming products.
    That is the current finding.

Some horses have a high level of natural immunity. They have it all of their life and only need to be dewormed about 2x a year.

We had our entire barn on daily Strongid, + ivermectin twice yearly. We began to suspect we had a problem, and pulled fecals. This was about 4 months after ivermectin.

Some were quite high, so Pfizer PAID for them to be overnighted from our regional lab to Virginia Tech for quantitative analysis. PFIZER PAID

1/3 were clean
    1/3 had a low to moderate amount
    1/3 were very high, up to 2900 EGGS PER GRAM

Pfizer wanted to send us tubes of paste free of charge, & then they wanted to pay for repeat fecals but I declined, as I wanted to get ivermectin into them fast.

At that point, the surgeons at the Equine Hospital said no one should use daily for more than about 90 days to clean up a problem.

This was in 1998 There was resistance THEN, and they knew it in 1998.

Many farms have worms that are now resistant to Pyrantel. We did fecals this past spring, <4 1/2 months post Quest> then paste dewormed with Strongid, & repeated the fecals on any that were not zero previously.

Not a SINGLE horse's egg count was lowered. It is totally a useless drug on my farm, and 50 - 75% of all farms.

If your horse is getting negative fecals, he is probably one of the 33% that are naturally immune, and you only need to deworm 2 x a year.

Dumping unneeded chemicals into a horse day after day can cause other long term health issues.

I personally would never use a daily wormer.

Honestly, I'd chat with your trusted vet and see what they think.

And give that old man a hug from me. I adore the old ones.