The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Realizing your rescue is no longer a rescue

For years I've been "rescuing horses". I'm not a resuce but when I have extra time and money I try to stop by an auction, or buy a horse that really needs help out of someones back yard.

I found Ella in May. She was listed on craigslist as a red paint pony $100. The ad said she needed her feet trimmed. That was all the info they gave. I called the number in the ad and talked to the most clueless horse owner ever. He had no idea how tall she was but told me she wasn't a midget. He had no idea how old she was, or if she was broke, or what was wrong with her feet. Ooookkkkay. I made an appointment for the next morning and headed out to see her.

I got to the farm and found her in the back of a nasty stinky cow barn, standing in a foot of hay covered muck, being chased around the stall by a child. The entire time she was pinning her ears and running away from the kid. Kids mom was just standing there watching all this. I was mortified. If my kid was chasing a horse around he'd be in big trouble. Addtionally if my kid was working with a horse that spun around and pinned its ears I'd yank my kid away from that horse before the horse decided to kick.

I went into the stall and managed to eventually catch her and get a halter on her. At that point i could see she was foundered in all four feet and her feet had been allowed to grow into slippers. Once i had a halter on her she did let me pet her but hated every minute of it.

I handed the lady my $100 and brought her home. She stayed in a stall for the first few days until my farrier could get out there and start work on her feet. It took me on average 5 minutes to put a halter on her each and every time. After the farrier came out i turned her out with my 12.2hh pony and let her just be a horse. I had to catch her a few days later (i forget why now...but there was a reason) and it took 2 people 30 minutes to herd her into a stall and get a halter on her.

Fast forward 4 months and she is the first one in everytime for dinner. She follows me around her stall poking me with her nose if i take too long giving her dinner. She loves scratches head to toe. Best of all she's "sound"! True she'll never pass a pre purchase exam but she is comfortable and her feet issues are not noticable in her gaits. Her eyes have lost the scared, glazed over look, and not only can we catch her now but she's starting to be broke to ride.

It's getting to the point that when i call her my rescue pony i get funny looks. Shes so happy, healthy, and, well, normal now. I couldn't be happier

When i got her, note the defensive stance, long feet and just the look in her eyes
    http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s...e/100_0472.jpg
    Her feet
    http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s...ackfeets-1.jpg
    http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s...ontfeets-1.jpg

Her today
    http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s.../ellalunge.jpg
    http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s.../ellasiton.jpg
    Donatello - 12.2hh, 9 year old, pony gelding
    April - 14.3hh, 14 year old, TB Mare
    Ella - 12hh, 4 year old, pony mare

You have done a great job with her.

But here is a pony just started under saddle and the rider doesn't have a helmet on. Sorry to say but it turned me off from your lovely story.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    You have done a great job with her.

But here is a pony just started under saddle and the rider doesn't have a helmet on. Sorry to say but it turned me off from your lovely story.
    To each their own. I wear one when i ride everytime, that girl chose not to. I fail to see how her lack of headgear changes anything about the mare's story though.

You have done a great job! You have a lot to be proud.
    Sheilah

Glad you got her feet in order. Other than the feet I don't see much difference to be honest. Don't much care for the idea of rescuing a pony and sticking it in barbed wire fencing.

My vet said that if there is no rotation of the coffin bone then the laminae will grow back as normal as the hoof grows out and there will be no indication that there was a founder once the bad area has grown completely.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by VCT View Post
    Glad you got her feet in order. Other than the feet I don't see much difference to be honest. Don't much care for the idea of rescuing a pony and sticking it in barbed wire fencing.

My vet said that if there is no rotation of the coffin bone then the laminae will grow back as normal as the hoof grows out and there will be no indication that there was a founder once the bad area has grown completely.
    Where did you see barbed wire? We don't have barbed wire? We have electric wire on the inside fences and no climb with electric on the perimeter fences. Unless someone's been putting up fences without my knowledge theres no barbed wire on the property.

And the pictures don't show the personality changes as well as i'd like.

Smile

sigh.

everyones a critic. {rolling the eyeballs here}.

congratulations on a job well done.
    LESS HARD WORK, MORE FINE DINING!™
    complicate, obfuscate, prevaricate.

Well, *I* think you have done a terrible job with her and need to send her to MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, she's adorable.

Brava!
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

You did a great job, PPP. She's a very lucky little girl.

Lucky pony!

How CUTE is that pony!!!! I'm glad you have her and have a happy story with a new beginning to tell. She's adorable!

*and PSH to the people who can't ever just say GOOD JOB but instead have to take their insecurities in life out on others........(besides, even if there WAS barbed wire...the pony isn't loose in either of those 2 photos)....sigh

Realizing your rescue is no longer a rescue
    I never call any horses or animals that I help out "rescues". I actually find it a dreadful term, sorry. A real rescue case, in my opinion, is an animal that will be dead within weeks without intervention but even then, none of my horses that I have taken out of unfortunate situations, some, literally dying on my doorstep, are ever called "rescues". They are simply horses in need of help and I do not encourage any of my people to dwell on this fact as I believe it hinders recovery and progress for the horse.

Anyhow I digress . The pony's feet look so much better now. Your farrier has done a marvellous job and no doubt you are enjoying being the owner of this super little pony. Hope you have many more joyous years with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Lawn View Post
    sigh.

everyones a critic. {rolling the eyeballs here}.

congratulations on a job well done.
    ditto. Well done.

She is super, super cute!
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Good for you for giving this pony a new chance at life. She was obviously in a bad situation and you helped her out. She is really cute.

Quote Originally Posted by PicturePerfectPonies View Post
    Where did you see barbed wire? We don't have barbed wire? We have electric wire on the inside fences and no climb with electric on the perimeter fences. Unless someone's been putting up fences without my knowledge theres no barbed wire on the property.

And the pictures don't show the personality changes as well as i'd like.
    In the photo with the girl on the pony in the corner of the fencing, it sure looks like barbed wire. Maybe the sun is reflecting off it weirdly or something, but it sure does look like the little knots that are every foot or so on barbed wire. Regardless, I feel pretty much the same about metal electric wire, high tensile, and barbed wire. None are very safe, seen horrific injuries from all and there are better options out there.

I'm glad you were able to get her feet taken care of... perhaps your vet will be able to assess if there was ever any rotation, there may not have been. It's nice you were able to see such a change in her personality in a few months that really speaks well of her intelligence and default mindset, now that your relationship is blooming I'm sure you have many happy times ahead.

To the people who were so upset by my post, this is a discussion forum. When you post something it's open for discussion. There is no need to get snippy and in some cases make assumptions about peoples character due to it.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Pony looks great....feet look superb compared to the early pictures.

And sorry to those who only have white painted fences and beautiful high dollar properties...some of us don't have it that easy but we do our best for our animals.

Quote Originally Posted by tazz001 View Post
    Pony looks great....feet look superb compared to the early pictures.

And sorry to those who only have white painted fences and beautiful high dollar properties...some of us don't have it that easy but we do our best for our animals.

There we go with those assumptions again.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Aw shoot. My fences are painted black. What does that say about me and my ponies??

She's way cute, PP. You have every right to be proud.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

That's an amazing story, God Bless You for saving that horse.

Quote Originally Posted by PicturePerfectPonies View Post
    To each their own. I wear one when i ride everytime, that girl chose not to. I fail to see how her lack of headgear changes anything about the mare's story though.