The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another TB on a broker lot- anyone recognize him?

Saw this giy on the AC4H broker listings. 4th page, last horse on the bottom. Bay with white markings. very cute. looks very much racing fit in the photo without tack on. They want $650 for him. Im guessing he will ship to slaughter this comming monday if no one can take him. His tattoo starts with an F and hes around 16hh. Pass this along if you know of anyone looking. im out to help save another this week!

www.ac4h.com

ran a quick search and the closest I could find, from a partial and the white markings, is a horse named Little Big Moon.

*if* that's the right horse, he raced at Suffolk in 2006, and Penn National until August.

And, interestingly, the horse is listed as Sold on the CANTER PA site.

Looks very much like the same animal. Can't see his head, but the leg markings look identical to me.

From the description it sounds like he's a nice horse to ride, too, hopefully someone picks him up through ac4h.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I can't open the link provided but I tried that horse, not too long ago, promoted as a jumper prospect.

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...1&share_this=Y
    Seller had a few, gets them from a friend/neighbor/trainer.

Was maybe 3 wks ago, was his first ride off the track.
    Despite a very long back he had a really nice, balanced way of going and was a nice ride, but had run thru a fence a few days prior and was not 100% sound, so I didn't seriously consider, then a fellow COTHER tipped me off to the CANTER ad and the screws in the leg. I informed the seller and she said she didn't know, placed "dressage" ad which was almost immediately sold.

Anyway, I have no idea what the screws mean for the future but he was a super sweet guy and a comfy ride. I hope someone can pick him up and give him a good home.

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    Anyway, I have no idea what the screws mean for the future but he was a super sweet guy and a comfy ride. I hope someone can pick him up and give him a good home.
    I know a horse with ankle screws who was sound and strong enough for jumping. He had no problems whatsoever (though he did have a very substantial amount of time off after he stopped racing - like years).
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

screws in an ankle are usually to fix a fracture (like a condylar or sesamoid) but if they come back, they usually come back just fine.

People have to remember, that virtually no surgeon would recommend a surgery that requires screws is the horse wasn't going to make a 100% recovery. There are hundreds of horses still racing with screws somewhere in their limbs. On a side note, I have a mare with 3 screws, but they are loose in her head somewhere.

I have a ton of screws above my ankle, and I'm 100% sound

Seriously, in humans, they say screws/plates make the bones/area stronger. Wonder if it's true for horses?
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    Seriously, in humans, they say screws/plates make the bones/area stronger. Wonder if it's true for horses?
    They say the same for horses.

Not trying to hijack (so PM me if really interested) but what about a horse w/ a screw in his knee? In training for a lower level eventer.

Details: slab fracture, raced after, CANTER didn't know, last track trainer didn't know (horse was claimed).

The only reason I found out is b/c he came in from the field w/ a bump, gave it time, vet looked at him & pronounced him sound but offered x-rays "just in case". Everyone had a moment (including the vet) when we saw the screw!
    Georgia and Mighty Thoroughbred Cliques

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyB View Post
    Not trying to hijack (so PM me if really interested) but what about a horse w/ a screw in his knee? In training for a lower level eventer.

Details: slab fracture, raced after, CANTER didn't know, last track trainer didn't know (horse was claimed).

The only reason I found out is b/c he came in from the field w/ a bump, gave it time, vet looked at him & pronounced him sound but offered x-rays "just in case". Everyone had a moment (including the vet) when we saw the screw!
    The conventional wisdom with a slab fracture in the knee is that the horse may go sound again, but you'll still have a ticking bomb. If you are seeing a bump after turnout, it would really concern me about his ability to hold up to eventing. The screw itself wouldn't bother me, but the nature of the injury would.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyFox View Post
    The conventional wisdom with a slab fracture in the knee is that the horse may go sound again, but you'll still have a ticking bomb. If you are seeing a bump after turnout, it would really concern me about his ability to hold up to eventing. The screw itself wouldn't bother me, but the nature of the injury would.
    Sleepy, you should be the White House press secretary with how well spoken you are !

Passed on one last year with screws in the knee as I knew I would never be able to sell him if he did not work for me, but my A/O horse was purchased after a successful race career on screws in a hind pasterns and they never caused any trouble. He raced on them for a year or so and jumped on them for 10+ after that.

Thanks for the info all. The swelling has almost disappeared but it seems to reappear if he happens to get less turnout than usual. (He's normally out at least 8 hours, approx. 22 in the summer.) The day before he (re)injured it a new horse had been introduced to the heard & they were all acting like idiots.

The vet suggested I take things slowly, make sure he's fit, and let him tell me if he doesn't want to do it. Quite frankly I've never jumped him over 2'6", rarely jump more than once a week, & he's a fab trail horse so I'm fine with that plan. But he is the typical over achiever eager TB & he loves to jump so I am concerned that he'll be willing to overdo it.
    Georgia and Mighty Thoroughbred Cliques

Quote Originally Posted by DickHertz View Post
    On a side note, I have a mare with 3 screws, but they are loose in her head somewhere.

I posted the notice about this TB on the Alex Brown website, after seeing it on COTH, so hopefully this guy can find a home. I would hate to think of him shipping to slaughter and the more people that see his ad, the better chance he has of finding a home.

This TB got a home. He is going back to his original owner/trainer. Yeah!

Yay! This makes me so happy!
    I'd heard rumor that that was in the works, so pleased that it ended well.