The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help! Ichthammol and Jack Russells

I have four Jack Russells covered in sticky ichthammol! No amount of washing is getting it out. Do I have to clip them or is there a solution? I have NO IDEA how they did this. They spent an hour in the car yesterday while I looked at ponies and somehow found, opened, and rolled in the stuff. Or one got some on a paw and smeared the others?? Its totally dried, but was still a very stinky night under the covers in my bed (they are cuddlers, lol, and it was cold!)

The best and safest grease-cutter would be Dawn dishwashing liquid. If that doesn't work, you could try scrubbing with a towel soaked in PineSol (being VERY CAREFUL of mucus membrane areas!!) and then rinsing completely.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I'm sorry! But... I laughed and laughed at that title I can certainly picture it, and I empathize. I second the Dawn suggestion, as that is what rehabbers use on waterfowl when they are oil covered after spills. Call your vet or a good dog groomer??
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Try some GoJo, works on the tar they use for painting fences around here!

Bad Jacks!!!
    ~ Shannon Hayden ~

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I'm sorry! But... I laughed and laughed at that title I can certainly picture it, and I empathize. I second the Dawn suggestion, as that is what rehabbers use on waterfowl when they are oil covered after spills. Call your vet or a good dog groomer??
    So did I!

I think you need something oily to act as a solvent. Maybe mineral oil? I might also suggest a super product called GooGone but I'm not sure if that is safe for the JRT if they lick off the residue. Perhaps GooGone and then bathe?
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Or maybe the hand cleaner that mechanics (and my farrier) use- is it called Goop?

Bad dogs! Good luck!

Hehehehehe.

Sorry, I don't have an answer. But I do have three Jacks. So I had to laugh.

A few years ago mine did the same thing with a jar of bacon/hamburger grease that I keep under the sink. You know, the kind of stuff you don't dare put down the sink? Yeah. Some how they got it out. Got it to the couch. Opened it and rolled in it. ON THE COUCH.

I'd probably give the GoJo a try. How does your car look? Did they get it all over the interior too?

Dawn would be your best and safest bet. It should do the trick. Sadly, I actually like the smell of icthamol although I think I might get tired of it in my bedroom.

I hope you took pictures.

Sorry, had to laugh. I've got 5 JRT's.

I ditto the Dawn dishwashing liquid recommendations...it's good for getting out all sorts of sticky icky greasy things that my little "terrors" love to wallow in.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Oh. My. God. On the couch? With a jar of grease?

I'd have burned the couch and then, for good measure, sold the house and moved. Ugh.
    In memory of Rebuff (1974-2009)

Rest in peace, my sweet man