The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help! Dog eating poop!

Okay, this is disgusting. This is my rescue puppy from Texas. He came to me around 7 weeks with this problem (momma had severe heartworm, only reason they were separated a bit early).

So, we used to live in the city and the only time the dogs went to the bathroom was outside on the leash. We went to dog parks to run around, but obviously they were always monitored. So puppy would hold in poop, and wait to do it until he came in and went in his crate...I guess he just loved the taste that much. Well we tried everything to stop it, pumpkin in the food, meat tenderizer, the coprophagia tablets (which made him really sick). He just wouldn't stop, so we actually remembered what times he usually pooped and made it at a point to be outside for that, and obviously reprimanded him when we would catch him doing it. Well, one day he just stopped using his crate as a potty (YAYYY, good boy).

So now we've moved into an apartment with an awesome fenced in yard, been here about 2 months. All was well and good until about 2 weeks ago. All 3 dogs would just be outside running, playing, and sun bathing while we're home. Well now Mr. Turd Burglar is at it again, and he has awful diarrhea and I'm at a loss as what to do. The anti-poop eating agents didn't work before, and considering we have 3 dogs and our landlords have 2, all of them would have to get it for that to be effective. My only solution is that he go out supervised at all times, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a big, awesome yard and he won't get to be running around out there nearly as much. My boyfriend also says he won't watch him at all times (great, thanks for helping out honey). I can see his point, but this poop eating is disgusting and eventually puppy is going to get himself really sick...he already has nasty runs all the time from it.

Any suggestions??

My dog eats other dogs' poop, and my cousin's dog eats his own poop. I am not sure which is worse. My dogs have always considered horse, deer, cat and bunny poop to be a wonderful treat. Me, I disagree. If the dog eats his own, you can use the feed through stuff (which didn't seem to work in your case), but if the dog is eating other dogs' poop, that won't work.

Victoria Stillwell did a segment on it on It's Me or the Dog. The secret was to teach the "LEAVE IT" command, and clean up after every poop. My dog is still a work in progress on "LEAVE IT" - which means she's working hard on running full tilt towards me while still chewing, and swallowing before I can pry open her jaws.

I'm sure the holistic people will say that there is something missing from the dog's diet, but I think that they either do it because they like the taste, or they are cleaning their area (mother dogs always clean up after the puppies while they are still in the whelping box - and I think it's why most dogs clean up after they vomit - again, lovely).

It might be kind of cruel, but maybe spray the no chew stuff on the turds, and then let him take a bite - maybe that would get him to stop. And try to keep the yard as poop free as possible.
    Last edited by Doberpei; Sep. 30, 2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling error

Ditto what above poster said. And yes, sometimes dogs will eat other dogs poop or other animals poop b/c they are lacking something. Try a different puppy food- see what happens. Try a more "holistic" or whole food dog food. You can also try a Raw diet. I think since you've tried a lot of things it may be worth it. You can also try adding 1/2 tbs of plain yogurt- greek yogurt is really good, for probiotics.
    Also, remember to switch slowly and give it 3 months or more before you decide it's not working.

We have a border collie who does this too.... I've heard pineapple also works for some dogs but for her the only answer is to make sure there is no poop available for her to eat.

We've tried all sorts of supplements, pulled blood work, etc and after much discussion with our vet, we've come to the conclusion that she just LIKES the way poop tastes. She's also a HORRIBLE cat box raider. That is taking disgusting to a whole new level....

I love my dumb dog anyhow but I don't let her lick me!!!

Our Male JRT did this his entire life and the vets said he was healthy, not vitamin deficient, we tried FORBID and other stuff that is supposed to make poop taste like crap, and nothing helped. it never bothered him, except one time he vomited it up in the car, but that's a JRT for ya.

Some dogs will always eat poop, and there is not much you can do about it.

I've heard that dogs that do this were confined in nasty pens as puppies, and got in the habit. My dog that did this stopped finally but I had to sprinkle meat tenderizer on her food (and the other dog's too). The commercial stuff specifically for dogs with this problem didn't work for her.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    I've heard that dogs that do this were confined in nasty pens as puppies, and got in the habit. My dog that did this stopped finally but I had to sprinkle meat tenderizer on her food (and the other dog's too). The commercial stuff specifically for dogs with this problem didn't work for her.
    I think my pup does this because he got into the habit as a baby. He was born in the shelter and was there until 7 weeks of age when I got him. He's a year old now, and apparently still likes the taste of crap.

I don't think he's nutrient deficient as all my dogs eat Taste of the Wild, which is one of the best commercial kibbles out there. They all are in good weight, with beautiful coats and are FULL OF ENERGY! I've seen a 100% turn around with every dog I've ever fed this to (I've fostered a bit) and it's the only high quality food I've known every dog to like and do well on...I've had dogs on Innova that didn't tolerate that well, but did great on the TOTW.

Anyways, I really wouldn't care if he ate the poop, but it gives him gross diarrhea and that can't be good for him. He also puked up turds this morning (almost on my bed, the wretching woke me up thank goodness!) which thoroughly disgusted me. I guess it's just lots of yard duty and cleaning up as much as possible....just hard because one of the dogs likes to crap in the bushes where I can't get to pick it up and darling puppy seems to have found this poop goldmine.

Thanks!

The diarrhea could be due to intestinal parasites he picked up from eating poop. Have you had a fecal sample tested lately? What sort of heart worm prevention is he on? You may want to consider switching to Intercepter if he's on Heartgard since it protects against hookworms, whipworms and roundworm (Heartgard only does rounds and hooks).

Did you try Forbid or a different product? Forbid might work if you tried an alternate product, and it's pretty easy to give to all the dogs in the household.

I had a puppy that did this. My vet gave me a powder to sprinkle on her food for a couple of weeks and this did the trick. I think I was told that this was a common problem in some puppies and it was a vitamin deficiency.

I have three heathy, vibrant dogs....age 13, 10 and 8.
    Mixed breeds and purebred.
    They all do it.
    They also think rabbit turd and horse poop are delicious.
    Yes...they would clean out the litter box too if I had any indoor cats.
    And they were never 'confined in nasty pens as puppies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben and Me View Post
    The diarrhea could be due to intestinal parasites he picked up from eating poop. Have you had a fecal sample tested lately? What sort of heart worm prevention is he on? You may want to consider switching to Intercepter if he's on Heartgard since it protects against hookworms, whipworms and roundworm (Heartgard only does rounds and hooks).

Did you try Forbid or a different product? Forbid might work if you tried an alternate product, and it's pretty easy to give to all the dogs in the household.

He is on Interceptor, and if he's supervised for 24hrs outside, then he magically has normal poop again. I know the diarrhea is caused by the poop eating, when he did it as a puppy he would get bad diarrhea, too. All my dogs have fecals done once a year, and my girls came back clean so I think he's good there.

The feed through stuff is tough because as I said we share the yard with our neighbors' two dogs and I can't expect them to feed something through, especially with an elderly dog. None of the feed throughs deterred him in the past anyways, just seemed to make it tastier.

I guess I'll just be playing out in the yard more

My dog only eats frozen poop - we call them poopsicles. Anyway, as one of my trainers once said, "it's why we call them dogs".

[QUOTE=JWB;4410811]She's also a HORRIBLE cat box raider. That is taking disgusting to a whole new level....

QUOTE]

Mine too. And horse poop is a tasty treat. Thankfully he doesn't eat his own.

OP, I hope you get this sorted out!