The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Super Comfort Iron Pads - Super Saddle Scratchers! HELP!

Okay...got these pads in over the weekend and put them on my regular irons. Love them, love them, love them.

BUT...they are scratching the heck out of my saddle. I'm careful when I run the stirrups up, but it seems that they still scratch with the slight motion that happens when I take the saddle off the horse, carry it to the tack room and store it.

I know a ton of folks use these - what do you do to prevent the scratching?

Thanks!

Hmm, do you mean something similar to a cheese grater stirrup pad? I have some on my Royal Rider stirrups but the worst they do is scratch my leathers if I'm not careful running them up or down. I think the reason mine don't scratch my saddle is because my leathers are pretty thick, and leave a space between my stirrups and saddle when they're up. Are your stirrup leathers thin?

She's talking about these I believe:
    http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/Produc...ctclassid=6038

I hate to hear they are scratching your saddle because I was thinking about buying some...will be interesting to hear if others have the same problem.

Those ones you linked to at Smartpak are what I'm talking about.

My leathers are pretty thick and they are not scratching under there - it is more like the knee roll area that is getting banged up.

Like if the run up stirrups swing a little when you are taking the saddle off, etc - the forward part of the iron that isn't held away from the saddle by the leathers seems to be hitting the knee roll and scratching it.

You could do what my friend has done to protect her saddle. She has taken 2 face cloths and puts one around each stirrup pad before she rolls them up. Works like a charm to protect the leather!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I will take some towels out with me to the barn tonight.

Does anyone have these and NOT have a problem with scratching?

I have them and don't have that problem. But when I run up my stirrups, I also flip the leathers up back over the stirrup and then run the excess leather through the loop and then back into the keeper. I find this method along w/ using a tight fitting saddle cover helps keep my stirrups more stationery.

Ooh really good to know. I rode in my trainer's saddle who had these and I loved them... I was considering getting them but not at the expense of scratching my beloved CWD!
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

I have/had a pair like them, (just bought new stirrups..) but never had any problems with them scratching..do you have them on tight enought? Did you cut the excess off close enough?

Or I guess couldn't you put a saddle cover on with stirrup holes? I know, it's a lot of work before even rolling up your stirrups!
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolie_ View Post
    I have/had a pair like them, (just bought new stirrups..) but never had any problems with them scratching..do you have them on tight enought? Did you cut the excess off close enough?
    I think they are tight enough. I did the "turn" test with them and I can't get them to budge. What do you mean about cutting off excess? There isn't really any excess that I know of - they pretty much fill the space between the sides of the irons evenly without any extra. Or are you saying I should trim them so I can see a little metal on the edges (so make them smaller than the iron)?

I'm new to these so just wanting to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

I don't use a saddle cover (PITA) and because the saddle is stored in a locker pretty securely. I could look into a cover with stirrup holes though if I can't figure another way.

Is the pad scratching your saddle or is it the zip-ties under the stirrup that are securing the pads in place scratching the saddle?

I just put a pair of these on my saddle and have no problem with scratches....but....I did notice that when I cut off the excess zip-tie on the bottom, there was sharp edges and it scratched my hand. I filed the end of the zip-tie in attempt make a smoother edge and not scratch my hand in the future. It didn't occur to me that the zip-tie may scratch the saddle.

It is the pad - the zip ties are kinda angeled out and away from the side of the saddle of that makes sense (like pulled more over to the outside of the bottom of the iron rather than the middle or inside). I was worried about those scratching.

I have the pads and no problem with scratching. When I run up my stirrups I tuck the excess loop underneath the rear facing branch of the iron then tuck back into itself. Basically, I tie the stirrup leather in a knot around the rear-facing branch. This tends to keep my irons still, no scratching.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

I had those pads for years on different saddles and never had a problem with scratching. Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by TrakeGirl View Post
    There isn't really any excess that I know of - they pretty much fill the space between the sides of the irons evenly without any extra. Or are you saying I should trim them so I can see a little metal on the edges (so make them smaller than the iron)?
    Sorry I was meaning the twist ties - but you have already mentioned later that it is not them that is scratching. I put my stirrups up like JumpWithPanache mentioned, and I also lunged my horse during the winter with them up like that and no scratches...perhaps you got extra grippy ones or a manufacturer defect? As can't say they even scratched my hands, good luck!

Crown Royal purple felt bags. Slip over the stirrup, draw tight and voila!

I have a friend that "makes" Stirrup covers and monograms them. Really cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Elio04 View Post
    Crown Royal purple felt bags. Slip over the stirrup, draw tight and voila!

I have a friend that "makes" Stirrup covers and monograms them. Really cute.
    Oh that is a GREAT IDEA!!! Time to get drunk!!! LOL.

Seriously though - can you PM me your friend's email? Maybe I can get her to make me a pair!

Just FYI - I trimmed about 1/2 inch off the pad on the edges of the iron thinking that would help (as that was the area that was scratching) and yeah...not so much. The stirrup pad still makes direct contact with the knee flap when the irons are run up and still scratches (but it is a little better).

Got to thinking about it and my saddle is built with a recessed stirrup bar - I am thinking this is why we might have this issue. Ie - if the stirrup bar wasn't recessed, that and the leathers would probably hold the iron/pad up away from the saddle enough so they wouldn't scratch.

So other people might be okay. For me - I'm off to find those drawstring pouches for my irons!

Weird. I've *never* had a problem with these pads.