The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default North wind blowing...horses getting fresh!

The last few days in New England we've had this constant gusty west/nw wind blowing, and scattered showers, storms coming up... boy do the horses get fresh with the change of wind and weather!!

Had a heck of an "accidental" gallop the other day, and my bossy Morgan mare has been temporarily renamed "shark" for her sudden excessive attempts to snipe at my husband's mare when we are riding together. When DH's mare balked at a muddy crossing, ole Shark reached out and bit her in the butt to hurry her along! (Not that DH's mare reacted, of course. She was busy considering the mud.)

Where one day we had a lovely steady trot canter side by side through the sunny fields, the next day on the same route it was like riding a warhorse who thinks there's a battle coming and wants to lead the charge!

And today in the ring we got a couple of land-speed-record dashes practicing barrels (previously only practiced at a trot, with a little canter down the home stretch). I think she's getting the hang of it!

Weeeee!

Anyone else's horses finding new levels of energy?

Quote Originally Posted by twofatponies View Post
    The last few days in New England we've had this constant gusty west/nw wind blowing, and scattered showers, storms coming up... boy do the horses get fresh with the change of wind and weather!!

Had a heck of an "accidental" gallop the other day, and my bossy Morgan mare has been temporarily renamed "shark" for her sudden excessive attempts to snipe at my husband's mare when we are riding together. When DH's mare balked at a muddy crossing, ole Shark reached out and bit her in the butt to hurry her along! (Not that DH's mare reacted, of course. She was busy considering the mud.)

Where one day we had a lovely steady trot canter side by side through the sunny fields, the next day on the same route it was like riding a warhorse who thinks there's a battle coming and wants to lead the charge!

And today in the ring we got a couple of land-speed-record dashes practicing barrels (previously only practiced at a trot, with a little canter down the home stretch). I think she's getting the hang of it!

Weeeee!

Anyone else's horses finding new levels of energy?
    YUP! Today The Littlest Redhead was on her tippytoes for the first bit of our ride. Waayyyy too much energy and way to sensitive to the aids....canter? Oh no let's hand gallop! nice circle? No, lets zip to the center!

but it all turned out good.

Juice was SO fresh today! I really wanted to ride, tacked up in a hurry (avoiding all the barn ladies and their loooong conversations) got down to the ring and realized I had taken my stirrups off my saddle to clean it and forgot to put them back on

Fresh 6 year old OTTB + Squeaky clean saddle with no stirrups =

Once my legs got tired I got off to lunge him a bit and silly horse was so antsy he ended up slipping (grass ring + recent rainy days) and all 4 legs came out from under him! Thankfully he (and my saddle) were fine

Yes! My horse had a week off due to scraping up his stifle, and my kick-to-trot horse has decided trotting is overrated and cantering is much better. He's totally sound, just feeling the nice cool weather we've had the past few days. I spent most of my ride saying "we're supposed to be trotting, dammit!" but it was kind of fun. I figure it was proof that yes, he really is a 6 y.o. OTTB.

Gotta love the first few days of fall......

Yep, it has been kind of windy here in Va the last few days and the temperature has dropped from high 80's with upper 60's at night to upper 60's with 40's at night. When I went out to ride yesterday, my mare had such a forward trot, I had to keep squeesing the reins to slow her down. I stayed in the ring today as she was looking around and I was sure, if I took her out she would find something that might attack her...hehe.

Yesterday was freezing and windy (about 8C) -- a BIG change from the last few days (I gave my horse a BATH this weekend!). I thought for sure my horse would be fresh and I will admit I was nervous!! The weather never seems to bother him like that, though, and he was good as gold, didn't put a foot wrong the whole ride. I felt guilty for not thinking positively on my way out to the ring.

Yup, it is happening here too! (PA). My nice steady eddie OTTB was looking around so much the other day while we were trotting hills, that I took him into the ring. In the ring he spoked at grass! He has never spoked!( Luckily his spook was just looking, then trotting slowly away,lol) He kept looking and hufing at the leaves blowing around too. He was being so silly! I think the wind has died down today, thankfully!

I elected to stay inside and work with my weanling rather than brave the 50 mph gusts with my gelding. Today I'll ride if it isn't pouring.

My guy is pretty good in the wind. I have video of a 30 mph day when he was a three year old. Everytime I halted to gather my thoughts, he would whistle and flag his tail... but never move a hoof. Got to love those Saddlebreds!
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

I thought my Saddlebred would be nuts with the cool temp and the wind rattling around my trainer's indoor ring. But he surprised me by being just nicely forward instead.