The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Buyer's Remorse

I am going through a severe case of buyers remorse at the moment. I bought my first BRAND NEW custom ordered saddle for me and my horse and it's brought only headaches for a year and a half and counting. So I need someone to commiserate with me! What tack/clothing purchases have you made that you were really excited about and then went terribly terribly wrong?

The first GPA I bought had a shiny silver stripe up the front. Blech. I went out and bought one with the black stripe and am much happier with that. No reason to draw attention to myself.

I know someone who could tell you a story about some boots. Hey Quinn?

Hmm... let's see... the umpteen saddle pads and foam/gel pads and half-pads I have, trying to craft something resembling a decent fit for my shark-finned OTTB? No one item is particularly expensive but I don't even want to add up what I have in various pad incarnations... Pretty sure I could have had a new saddle by now.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

My daughters IRH helmet, she loves it but I am of the more traditional sort and would have preferred her to pick the CO Hampton LOL!!!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Bought the semi-custom saddle for my horse, complete with the multiple fittings for his back. HATED it from the first time I sat in it. When I moved up to do the A/Os I bought a new saddle and sold the old one for a loss of about $1000. Lesson learned - there are lots of saddles out there, even in types that can be fitted (i.e. wool flocked) so don't settle. It isn't the cost that matters the most, it's being disappointed after you spend a small fortune that really hurts.

I also had a saddle made for my horse. Not a super-expensive one, but a nice quality, black Aussie that would look and hopefully feel great on my big black and white beast and be comfortable for trails.

The maker had the horse's dimensions down perfectly, and the saddle is great for her. BUT he based its length on what someone my height and weight would normally fit in, and it's TOO DAMN BIG for my butt. I'm one of those heavier-than-I-look types, so just basing the size on that information gave him a false impression of my butt size! I'm glad it fits her, but I wish it fit us both.

My semi-custom saddle finally arrived - with a giant gusset in back that totally looks like a BUTT Oh, well, it's comfortable.
    --o0o--

Bought three pairs of tan TS for showing this spring. They are the cheaper cotton strech ones and despite the fact that I followed the wash instructions (machine wash, tumble dry on low heat) and never even put them in the dryer at all, it took about five washes for them to get all loose and wierd in places.
    There's "bubbles" all along the butt seam and that's really a spot that shouldn't be looking like that!
    In retro perspective I'd have been better off buying one pair of the microfiber ones and just throwing them in the washer every night.
    Timothy, stop lurking

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    I know someone who could tell you a story about some boots. Hey Quinn?
    Poor Quinn! She does have a tale about them boots
    Jen Evans & DaBear

Quote Originally Posted by cnvh View Post
    Hmm... let's see... the umpteen saddle pads and foam/gel pads and half-pads I have, trying to craft something resembling a decent fit for my shark-finned OTTB? No one item is particularly expensive but I don't even want to add up what I have in various pad incarnations... Pretty sure I could have had a new saddle by now.
    For what it's worth, I went through no less than SIX saddles from fully custom to wintecs trying to fit a shark-finned TB. The only thing I've found to fit (and STAYS fitting) is an old Hermes Steinkraus. Plain flap, plain everything. Try one!

Quote Originally Posted by DancingQueen View Post
    Bought three pairs of tan TS for showing this spring. They are the cheaper cotton strech ones and despite the fact that I followed the wash instructions (machine wash, tumble dry on low heat) and never even put them in the dryer at all, it took about five washes for them to get all loose and wierd in places.
    There's "bubbles" all along the butt seam and that's really a spot that shouldn't be looking like that!
    In retro perspective I'd have been better off buying one pair of the microfiber ones and just throwing them in the washer every night.
    Ironing helps a TON for the bubbles. I had the same thing and the iron pressed it right out.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by LudgerFan View Post
    For what it's worth, I went through no less than SIX saddles from fully custom to wintecs trying to fit a shark-finned TB. The only thing I've found to fit (and STAYS fitting) is an old Hermes Steinkraus. Plain flap, plain everything. Try one!
    Interesting... good to know! I am now on Saddle #2, a St. Lourdes-- cheap, but a much better fit than my Courbette. I'll stay on the lookout for the Hermes though...
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

#abbey
    Come on now, can you picture me with an iron? LOL!
    Timothy, stop lurking

Oh my goodness! I'm so happy not to be alone! This is actually working better than I had expected!

Quinn - Where are you? I want to hear about these boots!

cnvh - I hadn't considered the horror of all the smaller things you accumulate and never use or use once... you may have made me feel worse! ;-)

GilbertsCA - Perhaps I should look on the sunny side? Saddle fits me great! Now if only my horse cared about that...

DQ - The joys of "buying in bulk"! I'm going to have to remember to avoid that because I could definitely fall prey to that one!

Thanks everyone! Misery loves company!

Quote Originally Posted by DancingQueen View Post
    If you're talking about the "schooling breeches" I bought 4 pairs to work in Ireland this summer and they held up great! They didn't get the bubble thing and kept their shape, and I definitely never ironed them. I also didn't put them in the dryer and washed with cold water only, so maybe the dryer is the problem?

Okay, but only because you have asked. I have opted to meet Joseph or Jose Der at the Royal again this year to hopefully put this nightmare to bed. It will have been 2 full years. I do have a gorgeous right boot. November 10/07 measured by Joseph Der Jr. at the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto and paid $1320.00 .

December 2007 boots arrive. Too short, calf too wide, ankle too wide. Called Joseph and indicated I would take the boots to Running Fox to be measured.

Running Fox – January 19 to be measured. Asked if I wanted swagger tab sewed down. (5 hours total time) Indicated no. It was agreed boots too short, calf and ankle too wide. These boots were easily put on and taken off without boot pulls or boot jack.
    I indicated I wanted new boots made. Would not settle for “stretched” boots. (too short.)

Boots arrived and drove back to running fox February 17/08 (5 hours total time ) It was the same pair of boots still with swagger tab sewn down, boots had been stretched and the leather fibres were broken around ankle. The dye was much paler at the ankle due to stretching. Still much too wide at calf. Called Joe Jr. from the store and I was promised a new pair of boots.

7 weeks go by with no word on boots. I called NY and was asked why I had let so much time lapse(?) I was then asked to remeasure my foot because the foot measurement from running fox appeared to be larger than the original measurement from November 10/07. I did measure my foot to be exactly 9 inches. I told Joe Jr. the foot of the original pair of boots fit fine.

New boots arrive on May 7/08 and the foot is a full size too big. The calf and ankle are still too big and the swagger tabs are still sewn down.

Sincerely,

Jay McKillop
    16 Wolseley Ave.,
    London, Ontario
    N5Y 2K8

(519) 434-4468 home (519) 672-7710 ext. 229 office

sent via email to Sheree – May 12/08
    @sheree@derdau.com

June 9/08

Hello Joseph:

Per your instructions, I am forwarding my Ariat Crownes to you for comparison. Please note, this is NOT the box they came in and as such these Ariat Crownes are NOT a size 7 but rather a size 6 which is my correct size. I am also returning the inserts you sent with the latest boots as they are a size 7/8. I WEAR A SIZE 6 BOOT.

Please call me as soon as you receive these two pair of boots. It is imperative we speak before anything is done. Thank you.

Boots came back along with my Crownes. Still not right. They are now only cuff lined and still too short in my opinion. They are ½ inch shorter than my Crownes and ½ inch wider. I believe when they break in, they will be wider AND shorter. Not the same size as my Crownes at all even after sending them.

Meeting Joseph at the Royal Winter Fair 2008 and taking both pair of boots with me.

November 14/08 – Take boots and my Ariat Crownes to the Royal. Meet with Jose Der Sr. and he measures me. Agrees the DerDaus are too short and too wide – no question. Asks if I wanted them fully lined as initially requested and the first 2 times the boots DID come fully lined. I answered yes, I did. He indicated my LEFT calf was ½ inch wider than my RIGHT calf. I said to just make BOTH boots 13 ½ “ at the widest part of the calf. He said boots would take “2 weeks to arrive.” 7 weeks later the boots arrive. Correct height, NOT fully lined. The right boot is perfect. The left boot is too tight to get on and I initially thought this was due to the LEFT calf being ½ inch wider than RIGHT calf. Just left them and kept trying. Did call DerDau to say they weren’t fully lined as PAID for and requested but was told that was a Royal special and I just left it. Finally measured the boots and the RIGHT one is in fact 13 ½ “ wide while the LEFT one is 13” wide. DerDau has somehow switched the measurements. Will call today – February 9/09 and will be returning these boots.

February 9/09 – Called “Cynthia” at DerDau. She is checking the measurements taken by Jose and calling back.

Cynthia has called back and the measurements taken by Jose are clearly marked as 13 ¼” both boots. Clearly, the left boot is considerably smaller.

I have indicated to Cynthia, I will send both boots back and will NOT accept a stretched boot. None of this has been my fault and I am now 15 months into this saga.

The right boot fits perfectly and the left boot should be made the same. Thank you Cynthia for your exceptional customer service.

Took the boots to UPS store on February 11/08. Tracking shows they arrived in NY on February 14/08. They then appear to be lost but no, they show up back on my front porch on February 20/08.

Was told on Monday, February 23, 24, 25, 26 that the UPS label was being emailed. Has not been sent. Just spoke with “Lisa” and she is looking into it and calling me back. Lisa sent the UPS label and the boots went back on February 27/09. They arrived at Der Dau on March 4/09 and Cynthia indicated Joe would be “back from Florida” on March 11th. Called today, March 12th and Joe didn’t make it back. Will be back in NY on March 17th. I will call on March 18th.

Spoke with Joe on March 18/09. He assured me the boots would be stretched but they would be perfect. They arrived today (March 30/09.) The left boot is visually huge compared to the right boot. I called and this time spoke with Jose. I simply cannot believe their lack of customer care. He wants me to send them back AGAIN. I measured with a tape measure the left boot. Der Dau has now stretched it from a 12 ¾” width to 14 ½” width. Not only is the left boot much larger than it should be, there is also a very noticeable bulge at the calf. Completely unacceptable. The right boot is 13 ½ “ which is the correct measurement. I have sent Cynthia an email asking precisely what it is Jose is planning to do because at this point, I will not send them back again. We are now just shy of 17 months into this.

Cynthia sent me an email on Thursday, April 2nd indicating she would go over my file with Joseph and get back to me on Monday, April 6th. No contact was made. I emailed on Thursday, April 8th and Joanna left me a voice mail on my cell indicating Cynthia is off for an undetermined length of time.

Received this email from JoAnna on Thursday, April 9/09

Dear Ms. McKillop,

I apologize for the inconvenience you have suffered during your custom order process. We at Der-Dau believe in Quality, Craftsmanship, tradition and of course customer service. I am truly sorry that you did not receive the highest quality customer service that our clients truly deserve and want. This is not typical of what our company offers to our esteemed clients. We have been serving the elite Equestrian community for over 50 years and sponsor/attend the highest rated horseshows and Olympic riders, worldwide!

That being said, I spoke to Joseph about your situation. He stated that simply shipping them back would not be beneficial due to the fact that there have been so many fit issues. Shipping them back for repair would only cause more frustration and more ill-fitting boots. In order to remedy this situation, he would like to re-measure you at one of our upcoming Canadian horseshows. He feels that at this juncture this would be the best option for us both. We will be attending Spruce Meadows Masters and the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair. The dates for Spruce Meadows are: September 9-13, 2009. The dates for RAWF are: November 6-15, 2009.

Please let me know which show you would like me to schedule for an appointment for.

We thank you for choosing Der-Dau as your custom boot and Shoe Company. Please feel free to e-mail me back at your convenience for additional questions or concerns.

Regards,

JoAnna Vega
    Customer Relations Director

Der Dau
    1885 McDonald Ave
    Brooklyn, NY 11223
    Tel: 718-336-4513
    Fax: 718-998-8058

April 14/09 – Called JoAnna to indicate (a) Spruce Meadows is 1998 miles away and (b) not prepared to go for another measurement at the Royal in November ’09. 2 full years from when boots ordered and paid for.

JoAnna is sending me a measuring guide, I will measure the left leg and forward along with the boots. I have indicated there is absolutely no way I will accept a rework of the left boot. It has been completely ruined.

April 16/09 – Message left on home phone by “Laura” saying Der Dau is sending out measuring instructions and a “foam” box. We shall see what transpires this time.

And that is my DerDau saga/nightmare.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Wow, those boots must really be special to put so much time into the process of getting them. I hope you finally get some boots! Shoot they should give you two pairs just for the inconvenience.

Holy cow! Now THAT's a story Quinn! I have a very similar timeline related to my saddle. I'm stuck on the part where they keep asking you to remeasure... the problem doesn't appear to be the measurements, but they're complete inability to make boots that match those measurements.

Adding Der Dau to my "avoid" list.

Whoa Quinn. Why do you want Der Dau's so badly? They have treated you atrociously and completely wrecked any chance of the original boots being correctly altered. Why don't you just demand your money back and go buy a different brand of boots. After the way they've treated you, why should they get a penny from you.

Those with custom saddles that don't fit.... why are you settling? Why don't you call the company/rep and get the saddle properly fit?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/