The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is this a good hay feeder?

My beasties have decided the hay is really provided for them to pee on, lie on and make walkways through the mud with. So I'm thinking of building a hay feeder like the one in the top right corner, the standard hay feeder:
    http://www.lancasterbarns.com/acatalog/Hay-Feeders.html

I'd hate to spend the time and money to make it only to fill it with hay and have the horses show me in the first five minutes why it was a bad idea! So what can you see not working with this design?

My first thought is that one of my horses will enjoy picking hay out of the feeder and throwing it on the ground anyway. I'm working on a slatted top idea to prevent that. My other thought is that I may have to build two (!) of them since the piggies may not want to share. Also I know they will want to rub on it - do you think it will be top heavy and fall over easily?

Let me know what else you see not working!
    Last edited by BestHorses; Sep. 30, 2009 at 03:23 PM.

While I really like the looks of it, I can guar-an-tee my 4 would just pull big clumps of hay out, throw it around, and end up either peeing on it, using it for a bed, and/or squash it into the mud. Pony would have to stand off as the other three (horses) would pin ears and make ugly faces.
    While I love having hay out 24/7, I sure have lost a lot due to their table manners.

Anyone else?

How about these?
    The hay seems well protected in those:

http://www.duplessishorsefeeder.com/HomeUSA.html

In case you wanted to see all your choices;

www.redriverarenas.com/feeders.html

www.klenepipe.com

www.farmbuilt.net

These are some of the best ones we found. Still haven't deceided, but this will give you alot of choices and options.
    The View from Here

Hmmm, something for the horses to chew on and/or get hurt on..... also big, heavy, expensive and complicated to build, impossible to move without a tractor.....

Try one of these:

http://www.bigbalebuddy.com/page/page/2674952.htm

I have two and I LOVE them.

Jennifer

^^ That looks a lot like a mold cooker to me !

my barn has them in a bit larger version and I love it. My horse never runs out of hay and the hay stays inside ( except for a few strays) and it stays clean and dry. And no hay/seeds falling into their eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    my barn has them in a bit larger version and I love it. My horse never runs out of hay and the hay stays inside ( except for a few strays) and it stays clean and dry. And no hay/seeds falling into their eyes.
    That's what I'm looking for - something that will let them eat at or near ground level but still keep the hay dry. How big would you estimate yours are? How may horses can eat at one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    How about these?
    The hay seems well protected in those:

http://www.duplessishorsefeeder.com/HomeUSA.html
    I showed DH and he wasn't a fan. haha I didn't mind them so much, but he thought it looked like a dollhouse! Maybe he would like it in a different color...

I like some of the metal ones RU2U posted. I don't feed round bales, but some of those look really sturdy - no wood chewing. I wonder how expensive it would get with shipping. Too many choices!

I built a 4 ft x 4 ft x 2 ft deep feeder with a grill on top that sinks down as the horses eat the hay. The grill openings are about 2 inches square. Keeps the hay from being thrown around and slows them down/mimics grazing. They figured out how to pull the hay through the grill in about 2 minutes! The feeder will hold a heavy small square bale pulled apart. I usually put hay in 3-4 times a day, since my three still manage to pig out on the whole bale in too short a time if I put the whole bale in at once.
    Icelandics - Tolt-ally wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Thokki View Post
    I built a 4 ft x 4 ft x 2 ft deep feeder with a grill on top that sinks down as the horses eat the hay. The grill openings are about 2 inches square. Keeps the hay from being thrown around and slows them down/mimics grazing. They figured out how to pull the hay through the grill in about 2 minutes! The feeder will hold a heavy small square bale pulled apart. I usually put hay in 3-4 times a day, since my three still manage to pig out on the whole bale in too short a time if I put the whole bale in at once.
    That's exactly the kind of hay "topper" I was thinking of adding to the hay feeder so they don't just pull out clumps and dump it on the ground. If I can't find a grid I was thinking I could build a frame with straight bars - similar to the bars on a stall. Not sure how wide the openings between the bars should be though. Too wide and they can pull a flake through. Too narrow and I'm afraid of a jaw getting stuck... Maybe 8-10 inches?

Quote Originally Posted by BestHorses View Post
    That's what I'm looking for - something that will let them eat at or near ground level but still keep the hay dry. How big would you estimate yours are? How may horses can eat at one?
    here is a photo

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24.../hayfeeder.jpg

Thokki, could you post pictures so we can see? I'm trying to come up with a slow-feeding system, and have only really thought about haynets, so far. Your idea sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy's Girl View Post
    Thokki, could you post pictures so we can see? I'm trying to come up with a slow-feeding system, and have only really thought about haynets, so far. Your idea sounds great.
    Not sure if these are similar to Thokki's, but they gave me the idea to do a slatted top on the hay feeder that "rides" the hay down as they eat. I don't really need a slow feeder so I thought I could make a frame with straight bars instead. Just worried about the spacing being safe... And I wanted a roof to keep the hay dry!

http://paddockparadise.wetpaint.com/...lla+%26+Sophie

http://paddockparadise.wetpaint.com/...7s+hay+feeders

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    Thanks for the photo! That is big enough for quite a few horses. DH doesn't know what he's in for

Besthorses,

Many thanks - Patti's feeder from that page is just what I need. I think I'll make it long and attach it to the stall wall (I have a large stall). Great resource!

No matter what we want to add to our horse management, like a feeder, we need to consider that anything we put in there with horses is one more way for them to get hurt on, so be careful what you do.

We don't free choice feed, we hand fed twice a day, three times in blizzards, on rubber mats and horses do just fine.
    If a horse is very old or injured, then we may raise their hay, so they can eat without needing to lower their stiff or sore neck.

A little waste, with is really very little if you feed right, is a small price to pay to know a horse won't be running another into anything set in their pens, or a horse playing with any feeding contraption will get in trouble with it.

There are trade offs in life and sometimes, putting their hay in something is a real necessity.
    BUT, we need to think if it is really THAT necessary for our horses and our management.
    If it is not, why do it?
    Just more to ponder.

Bluey, I totally agree with you! I have been debating over this feeder for a long time. I am usually a 24/7 turnout, k.i.s.s. kind of horsekeeper. I think closest to nature is healthiest. But my ideals don't always measure up with my finances or space limitations.

I really would like to keep feeding hay on the ground, but last week kind of did me in. I usually dole out hay throughout the day - when they finish the last bits of hay, they get more. But I put out a few more flakes and one horse peed on it before I could get out of the paddock! And it wasn't even in their usual pee spot. Normally I find a pile of peed on hay, but they have the decency to not make me watch them waste it! haha That coupled with constant rain that seemed to suck the hay into the mud almost immediately convinced me I need to try something new.

With the price of hay these days I hate wasting it so I'm still debating on building a feeder. Hopefully I can figure out a way to have a feeder without having the horses bonking their heads on it. Decisions, decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by BestHorses View Post
    That's exactly the kind of hay "topper" I was thinking of adding to the hay feeder so they don't just pull out clumps and dump it on the ground. If I can't find a grid I was thinking I could build a frame with straight bars - similar to the bars on a stall. Not sure how wide the openings between the bars should be though. Too wide and they can pull a flake through. Too narrow and I'm afraid of a jaw getting stuck... Maybe 8-10 inches?
    How about a hog panel framed in 1x2s? You could hinge one side, and put a chain with a snap or something on the other side to snap it up to the roof while you're filling.
    Marriage: an on going experiment to prove there are at least two ways to do everything.