The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun. 25, 2007
    Posts
    2,223

    Default What do you use to waterproof your blankets?

    Besides the wash-in stuff, what do you use? Last year I used Scotchguard Outdoor - worked like a charm. Unfortunately 3M has discontinued it - I can't get it anywhere and called 3M to confirm they no longer make it

    Some of the sporting goods stores have shoe spray and camping "stay-dri" sprays. Not that Scotchguard wasn't toxic, but I worry about toxicity and know that the Scotchguard worked well and my horse was fine. I tried Thompson's water seal and it did NOT work. Blanket wouldn't dry completely and it smelled horrible.

    What do you use?? Thx!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    May. 22, 2002
    Location
    where the grass is greener
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Unfortunately, any of those spray or paint on "waterproofers" seal the material and it can no longer breath. You end up with a sweaty horse, who then gets a chill from all the trapped moisture.

    Haven't found a substitute for taking care of a good quality blanket.

    "Buy the best, and cry once."



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baysngreys View Post
    Unfortunately, any of those spray or paint on "waterproofers" seal the material and it can no longer breath. You end up with a sweaty horse, who then gets a chill from all the trapped moisture.

    Haven't found a substitute for taking care of a good quality blanket.

    "Buy the best, and cry once."
    I've been using the sprays for a long time to rewaterproof. NEVER had an issue with the horse sweating. You just need to blanket them accordingly to the temperatures.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 19, 2004
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Nikwax spray
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

    Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct. 24, 2000
    Location
    Lake Norman, NC USA
    Posts
    646

    Default

    I use Camp Dri on an old Bucas every couple of years. I've never had a problem with breathability, but I dress for the warmest temp. This is for a 35 yo mare and mostly for her night turnout in the winter. Gotta keep her moving to manage the arthritis!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun. 25, 2007
    Posts
    2,223

    Default

    THANK you for the recommendation of Nikwax. I bought some and did one of my blankets with it last night. It dried right away - I left it out to dry a few hours and just tested it with water, and it's all beading beautifully - not getting wet at all. I also LOVE that it doesn't smell like a horrible chemical and has no "very dangerous if ingested" warnings. I got the spray - it's a pump spray which I was wary of but it coated beautifully. I wiped off the excess just as the directions said and it was done.

    Thanks!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr. 1, 2008
    Posts
    181

    Default

    People....get it right the first time....NEVER wash your waterproof blankets in any kind of detergent. This destroys the waterproof fabric. Only use a product like NikWax Rug Wash. Blankets come in to me all the time that have already been washed in detergent and you can tell. I have seen two year old blankets I can put my fingers through the fabric and repairs won't hold anymore cause the material just keeps ripping. As for products like camp dry.....I prefer to stay away from some of those "chemicals".



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catmando View Post
    People....get it right the first time....NEVER wash your waterproof blankets in any kind of detergent. This destroys the waterproof fabric. Only use a product like NikWax Rug Wash. Blankets come in to me all the time that have already been washed in detergent and you can tell. I have seen two year old blankets I can put my fingers through the fabric and repairs won't hold anymore cause the material just keeps ripping. As for products like camp dry.....I prefer to stay away from some of those "chemicals".
    And what do you thin NikWax is? A non-chemical?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb. 13, 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    And what do you thin NikWax is? A non-chemical?
    She's probably referring to fluorocarbons and toxic substances. Camp-Dry and most of the other waterproofing sprays are full of them. Nikwax is non toxic and environmentally safe.

    That said, I use the cheap orange stuff from Wal-Mart. I've never had a sweaty horse and I've never had a wet horse. And I figure as long as I use it outside, in a well ventilated area, on a breezy day, I will survive. I leave them in my garage for several days after spraying to let them off-gas.
    ________________________
    Resident COTH saddle nerd. (CYA: Not a pro, just a long-time enthusiast!)
    http://twitter.com/jenlmichaels



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    I use Nikwax Wash and then Nikwax Waterproofing treatment (that you put in the washer after using the Wash and run another cycle). I have a front-load washer, blankets probably wouldn't work with top load, but the Nikwax seems to do an excellent job of cleaning and keeping the waterproofing up. It also leaves the blankets breathable--it's intended for Goretex jackets and outdoor wear, I think.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep. 18, 2008
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Grasshopper, are you talking about the Nikwax tech stuff?

    NikWax has several waterproofing products for cloth, leather, etc. I guessed that the Tech stuff would be best for the Rambo.

    For those of you who have used NikWax, how long does the re-waterproofing last? Will it last through a whole winter?



  12. #12
    Join Date
    May. 28, 2002
    Posts
    2,860

    Default

    What is NikWax and where do you buy it?



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun. 25, 2007
    Posts
    2,223

    Default

    The woman who washes our blankets doesn't use the wash-in type waterproofer soaps - she (and I) do not want the undersides of our blankets waterproof. Just the outside. She uses a blanket-safe wash, just not a water-repellent kind.

    NikWax is sold here at Eastern Mtn. Sports - it's a higher end outdoor/camping/boating shop. They also had aerosols of other brands, which my old Scotchguard was. I like the Nikwax spray better, as it is non-toxic, doesn't smell horrible and doesn't have those flurocarbons, etc. in it. And it's better than Thompson's water seal which someone recommended to me once, and did not work at ALL.!



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov. 6, 2003
    Location
    Back in the South!! Alabama
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    None of our Rambo's have needed re-waterproofing. The one weatherbetta that we still have in the rotation (young horse) gets Nikwax.
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul. 1, 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    I use Nikwax Wash and then Nikwax Waterproofing treatment (that you put in the washer after using the Wash and run another cycle). I have a front-load washer, blankets probably wouldn't work with top load, but the Nikwax seems to do an excellent job of cleaning and keeping the waterproofing up. It also leaves the blankets breathable--it's intended for Goretex jackets and outdoor wear, I think.
    Ditto to everything above.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul. 1, 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrary View Post
    For those of you who have used NikWax, how long does the re-waterproofing last? Will it last through a whole winter?
    I clean/waterproof my blankets using the NikWax Rug Wash and Rug Proof once a year - works well for me.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul. 1, 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
    What is NikWax and where do you buy it?
    Here is the website with more information and where to purchase. I get mine at my local tack shop when they're having a sale.

    http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/activity...item=EQUIPMENT



Similar Threads

  1. Disinfecting waterproof blankets?
    By OnePerfectRide in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Mar. 26, 2011, 10:42 AM
  2. Waterproof foal blankets?
    By VanEq in forum Off Course
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov. 5, 2010, 07:09 PM
  3. Caring for Waterproof blankets
    By minuspride in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Oct. 23, 2010, 05:33 PM
  4. Waterproof Blankets
    By pnalley in forum Endurance and Trail Riding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan. 6, 2010, 04:12 PM
  5. Do you waterproof NEW blankets?
    By BarnBrat in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Oct. 26, 2009, 11:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness