The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is there such thing as too much MSM?

My guy is on Farrier's Formula Concentrate and SmartFlex III Ultra. The Joint supplement has 10,000 mg of MSM. I was considering switching the hoof supplement to Grand Hoof Pellets, however that also has 5,000 mg of MSM. Is 15,000 mg Of MSM too much? BTW, my guy is a 14.2 hand pony, about 800pounds if it makes any difference.

there is some evidence that the Molybdenum in the MSM can block some of the absorbtion of copper and zinc.

I "think" Grand Hoof has a non-msm formula?? My horse gets "out of his skin" spooky on too much msm. But I don't have any scientific data for you.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

not great for the liver
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

OK. Thanks guys. After a bit of thought, I think I will just stick with Farrier's Formula. I feel that if I switch, he might be getting overloaded with nutrients! And, I dont want that.

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    not great for the liver
    So how much exactly is too much? Do you think the 10,000mg in his joint supplement is too much for an 800lb pony?

My 16.2hh TB is currently on a joint supplement which has 10,500 mg of MSM and when I was thinking of adding a little (he was recently diagnosed with a bone spavin), one vet said it's already a pretty large dose. Have seen one MSM supplement that is around 24,000 mg daily but it can't be good for the horse in the long run (right?). I'd see if there was non-MSM formula as someone else mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by HoofHeartSoul View Post

Molybdenum in the MSM

10,000 mg of MSM is considered a maintenance dose for an average/small sized horse. 15,000 to 20,000 is routine for a larger horse or a smaller horse w/an on-going issue. You can use 40,000 short term (a few days) for horses who cannot tolerate NSAIDS.

So no, I don't think the OP is really even close to being at a problematic dose of MSM. FWIW, my daughters medium pony gets 10,000 mg a day to control her COPD.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Grand Hoof definitely has a non-MSM formula.

My three guys are all young and healthy, with no apparent joint issues, but do well on a hoof supplement. I saw no need to put them on the Grand Hoof + MSM, so I just make sure to pick the plain Grand Hoof off the shelf at the tack store. It's a good bit cheaper, as well!

FWIW, my small horse (14.3h Arab) has been getting 10,000 mg / day for years with no ill effects. When he first injured his SI, he got 20,000 mg / day for a couple of weeks, then backed off to 10,000 mg / day.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by HoofHeartSoul View Post
    there is some evidence that the Molybdenum in the MSM can block some of the absorbtion of copper and zinc.
    No molybdenum in MSM--just carbon, sulfur, oxygen and hydrogen.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    No molybdenum in MSM--just carbon, sulfur, oxygen and hydrogen.
    LOL! You gotta wonder where some people get their information. Molybdenum indeed!

I've fed 40g MSM/day for months to an aged Arab mare with ERU. No ill effects but there where side effects. A noticeably thicker mane & tail along with hard as rocks hooves. My farrier complained the mare ruined his rasps.

Okay, I just heard back from my vet about my horse's bloodwork up. He has been lethargic (up until this weekend when temps dropped!) so I had a standard panel done. Anyhow, everything was normal except his bilirubin(sp?) was slightly elevated, though not at a level to be really concerned about. She asked if my horse was on any joint supplements and said that MSM often causes the bilirubin reading to be a little higher. I asked if it was safe for him at have that elevation long term and she said yes, because it was just slightly elevated (sorry I don't know the exact number) and it wouldn't cause any damage. Now if it increased significantly, the MSM would be the first thing to go and see if it came back down.

FWIW, I have him on the Smartpak Repair which has 10,000 mg of MSM....

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post

I've fed 40g MSM/day for months to an aged Arab mare with ERU. No ill effects but there where side effects. A noticeably thicker mane & tail along with hard as rocks hooves. My farrier complained the mare ruined his rasps.
    lol

My 1200lb mare is on 20g daily and has been for at least a couple years now. Didn't do much for her mane and tail though

Smart Hoof on the other hand... WOW. First time mare has ever had a tail that could be considered more than wispy and wimpy.