The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who is going to the Rappahannock open hunt, VA- This sunday?

Hello,
    I am going to the Open Hunt that the Rappahannock hunt in VA is hosting this weekend. I called up the master and chatted with him for a bit, really nice fellow. I am very excited about it. Will anyone else be there for me to meet? My horse has never hunted, so I hope all goes well.
    Let me know!

I am a member at RH and will be there. I should be out first flight.

Oh neat, well if you see a girl with a horse who is freaking out- it may or may not be me! hehe. I've got a dark grey roan gelding and I'll be wearing a light coat and green stock. Hopefully we make it up to 1st flight a little, depending on how big and crazy they are. I would like do do a little jumping, but I'll have to play it by ear. Arg I wish I had one of my hunters with me!

Default More information

Here is some more information to respond to questions I've had PM'd to me.

The hunt is Oct 4 which is Sunday, not Saturday. I'd hate to have you show up on the wrong day. We haven't set the time yet. We've been going at 7:30 but since we are having the open house I will anticipate a later start. I'll post on the boards after I find out or you can check www.rappahannockhunt.org.

The fixture is Manwarings Gate. We will be having three fields that day. First, second and Third. Third is something we are doing for people that want to W/T and maybe C. I would expect that Third Flight will not go up the mountain. Directions to the meet are on the website under fixture card/Calendar.

How much time we spend on the mountain depends on how the foxes run. Last time we were there we spent no time on the mountain and ran three foxes. Last March I estimated we had 5000 feet of vertical change. So it varies. If we go all the way up to the fire tower it is the best view in Rappahannock County.

The terrain off the mountain is rolling hills and we cross a couple of streams along the way. I would guess that we will cover 10 miles or so in the course of the hunt.

The paneling is good. It is almost all coops up there. We build new coops to about 3' 2" before settling. So even the newest coops we built this summer are no bigger than that. They have a base spread of about 4'.

Rapp Hunt tailgates after every hunt, no matter what time we start. Anything you would bring would be appreciated.

Attire will be rat catcher.

Please make sure you bring a coggins and check in with our secretary. She is easy to find. Look for the truck with the table with the bottles on it.

This is such a great idea. Do you need to call the master or secretary prior to coming ? I have a foxhunter that has been off for a year. He appears to be fine now but I want to take him out with a slow field so the third field would be a great way to get him going.

I love third fields. Worship them. So *correct* for real foxhunting - following hounds.
    Have fun everybody. Wish I could join you (hunting Sat. with Junior championships at ODH then to the races, plus the races Sunday. No rest for hte weary ....)
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

vahunter: It is an open house, so just come out.

I envy you. Enjoy and report back please.
    Speak kind words,receive kind echos

Quote Originally Posted by vahunter View Post
    This is such a great idea. Do you need to call the master or secretary prior to coming ? I have a foxhunter that has been off for a year. He appears to be fine now but I want to take him out with a slow field so the third field would be a great way to get him going.
    ah well if you are going slow I may meet up with you!

A friend of mine is taking her horse for her 1st time, hopefully the weather will be nice!

Default Meet time is 8 AM

The hunt will move off at 8AM on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Elghund2 View Post
    The hunt will move off at 8AM on Sunday.
    yikes uhhg I am going to have to get up EARLY! I think it's going to be about an hour drive. yuck. from fredericksburg, anyone want to pick me up. hehe

startkissed - I am going to try to get there - it's an hour drive for me as well - I'll be on a *large* 17H bay - I'll look for u !

Have checked on the website for directions to this Sunday's meet but one link is not working and I could not find a fixture map on the other link....am I missing something?

Can all the COTHers pick a point to meet at the tailgate afterwards to put names to faces? It would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be the gentleman on the big bay TB with a blaze. He'll have a black and yellow GPS tracking device attached to his breastplate.

For directions - on the main page, 2nd paragraph, click the "rappahanock hunt territory", then click "directions" on the top line. The directions seem are alittle hard to follow - but I think it's right across the street from Dorris Jone's farm.

I google mapped it and you just hop on 522 (north/west) out of culpepper. Then go for a long ways(14ish) and hang a right on 621(rudasill mill). 2 miles to a 4 way intersection with a church. Go right for 1/2 mile.

this is me and the horse to look out for.
    http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...t=DSC_1387.jpg

Default hunt report

For those of you that made it out you can check out the blog hunt report. We also post up GPS tracks on google earth so you can see where you've been.

http://www.waterfordmgmt.com/RHweb/blog/?p=77

On October 18th we will be doing a third flight again at O'Bannon's Gate which you passed on the way to Manwaring's.

very cool ! It was a wonderful day to be out with all of Rappahanock's beautiful views.