The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pics of uveitis or blindness

Ok, this is a really strange request. I am looking for photos for an upcoming art project of horses that are blind, have uveitis, or anything that would cause the cloudy or greenish haze in the eye. But the thing is, I need photos taken in the daytime without the use of a flash. I've done searches on here as well as google, flickr, etc and I'm not having much luck finding pics taken without a flash. Anybody have any pics they can share?

I can give pictures of my boy's sunken eye, but to see the hazy/cloudy/cataract/whatever you often need a light source. My boy has one eye that is fully blind and it is sunken in, and one eye that has a cataract and is 70-80% blind. Thing is - you can't see the cataract without a light source (such as a flash). You can sometimes see a little of it if the sun hits it right.

Here's some pictures of his sunken eye:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3546815...01/2965019886/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3546815...01/3963714380/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3546815...01/3962943465/

I have a series of pictures of his good eye while being treated for squamous cell carcinoma - they show the swelling, redness and scabbing of the treatment. Let me know if you want me to upload them.

That's very good to know and thank you for sharing the photos! I wasn't too sure if you would be able to see the haze without a light source or not, and from what I'm finding on google, it's hard to tell if a light source is on it or not.

Is there any sort of cloudiness or darkness to the eye that he's blind in that you can see in just normal daylight?? I guess I'm curious if there's anything you can see that would tell you the horse is blind, you know, to the average bystander. Thank you so much for sharing the pics!

That's *really* hard to capture on camera without a flash. Usually requires an SLR, perfect lighting and a very still horse. I had a horse with uveitis who went blind and all his pictures he looks just fine. It's not on the surface of the eye which is part of the problem. Uveitis is in the middle of the eye (the uvea) which means most cameras just see a glassy normal looking surface.

The only time I saw a horse I knew was blind was very bad cataracts, and horses with injuries to their eye (which did not always mean blindness).

Check out http://www.blindhorses.org for anything else.

As for if people can tell the blindness just by looking - it depends on the horse and what caused the blindness. Some horses get a white glaze over the eye. In my case, the eye on the side that is fully blind is structurally sound. We don't know what caused the blindness, but it wasn't an injury to the eye or anything - probably damage to the nerve. It is, however, slowly sinking in and the eyelid kind of closes over it. When we do open it up, it's a big beautiful brown eye under there

His other eye looks perfectly normal at first glance. In fact, we had no idea he was as blind as he is until he got the SCC diagnosis and the vet looked at the eye in a dark room with a pen light. Then we saw the cataract.

My sister has a horse that is blind in one eye as well, from an injury as a foal - he's gradually gone fully blind in it. It looks normal but like Pi's eye, will slowly sink in over time. If you are really aware you can see a slight "grayness" to it, but most people have no idea he's blind in that eye at all.

We have an oldie at the barn who has a classic case. I will take a shot tonight with my camara phone if I can and see how that comes out.

Thank you so much for the info! I will check out the blind horses site right now. Does anyone if there IS an eye affliction that would haze the outer surface? Perhaps I'm not googling for the right thing. Or maybe it just won't work for what I want to use it for. I really appreciate everyone's help.

Quote Originally Posted by ksetrider View Post
    We have an oldie at the barn who has a classic case. I will take a shot tonight with my camara phone if I can and see how that comes out.
    That would be fabulous. Thank you so much!

That blind horse site is fantastic. Although saddening. There are quite a few examples on there of what I'm looking for, and there's even one that's taken at such a distance that a flash wouldn't effect it. I am just hoping someone can intentionally get me a photo or already has one that they know a flash wasn't used just so I can be 100% sure. Thank you again everyone.

cmarieram Guest

Here is a horse that I went to look at. Owner tried to convince me that the horse could see out of this eye. Somehow I don't believe him.
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25518...91847944nWBJJE

Quote Originally Posted by cmarieram View Post
    Here is a horse that I went to look at. Owner tried to convince me that the horse could see out of this eye. Somehow I don't believe him.
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25518...91847944nWBJJE

PERFECT! That's not with a flash right (I don't see any reflective glare)? Thank you!!!

cmarieram Guest

No flash. Does anyone have any idea what would have caused this? The guy said the horse was born like that. I didn't really believe all that much of what he said though.

Looks like moonblindness/uveitis - http://www.squidoo.com/moonblindness