The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anglo-Trakehner 3yo & Inspections

**Mods please move this if I have mis-placed this thread**

So, my BO whom I do some husbandry and train for has a gorgeous Sonset Seiger daughter/Abdullah granddaughter - The BO doesn't know much about Warmbloods and honestly, neigther do I. I've always owned Paints/QH's so I know tons about their registries but nothing about the WB's -

We've had her backed and on that angle she's doing great - But she's for sale and I'm worried the BO has waited too long to have her inspected and registered and though she may still be able to be registered, it's going to cost an arm & a hoof and the BO is a little cheap. So unless I can somehow wrangle the funds for her, this great mare is going to be sold well under her wealth because she is not approved.

I guess my question is this - can she still be taken to an inspection and what should I know before trying to attempt this or can she be registered like the QH's where you get the papers, fill them out with the fee and send it in?

And small point - she's an Anglo-Trakehner
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

If this mares mother is in the Preliminary Stud Book of the ATA and the owner has the breeding certificate for the mare, then yes its "where you get the papers, fill them out with the fee and send it in?"
    But all papers must be in order, and the owner has to send it hairs for a DNA sample as well.
    If the mother has never been registered and has not had DNA taken from her then it gets complicated. The ATA will need a DNA sample from the mother (the sire is on file already). Just pray and hope that the mother of this 3 year old mare is still alive.
    You are best to contact the ATA and ask them. They will tell you how much it will cost given the different scenarios. www.americantrakehner.com
    Dr. Baird's law:
    In a voluntary organization, the amount of criticism one receives is directly proportional to the amount of work done and it emanates from those who do the very least.

The mother is on the premises and very much alive, but unfortunately she is just another TB mare - She's registered with the Jockey Club, but no warmblood society's.

Unfortunately this sounds like too much for the BO to want to do -If it was my mare, I would've had her inspected and everything in order at foaling - This BO doesn't know much about breeding and frankly is overwhelmed at the moment.

It's one of those situations where the family has a daughter who rides and was under some very nice trainers and showing well at the A's and the family figured "hey, why don't we buy a farm and set up our own operation?" with no prior experience.

They have been fortunate to have some very nice stock, the problem being that they don't know how to handle said stock to either get their money's worth to be sold, or have the time/money to keep up the stock for competition.

Their daughter is a nice young rider, though still needing guidance and is just coming into teenage-dom so is starting to drift from riding a bit -

I'm trying myself to budget for a horse to possibly take on this mare as I have been the main one to break and train her and have really grown attached - The owners really have no interest in her (I have no idea why they bred for her in the first place).

I think I was curious for my own sake whether she'd be registerable, but it sounds like a hassle that would have to wait until I possibly took ownership as this BO is definitely not going to jump through those hoops.

Darn.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

RxCate, if you're thinking of buying the 3yo, ask if you can get the TB mare inspected, or at least go pull some mane hairs as an insurance policy against the worst...
    RIP Adriane, aka Eyesontheground, 6/4/83-9/14/09
    Proudly owned by:
    Veronica II (Vienna Waltz/Woermann)

Sounds like a plan
    Friend of bar.ka!

Actually since they do have the mother on premise, and her Jockey Club papers, then it is a matter of fill out the form, pull some hair and send it in.
    The ATA does not inspect foals. All registrations are done by filling out the form, sending in the necessary documentation (breeding cert., etc.) pay the fees, and you should receive the reg. papers in a few weeks once the DNA verification is done.
    For inspection, that is another thing. Once the mare is registered, then she can be taken to an inspection. The mare inspections are almost done for this year, but you may wish to check the inspection calendar to see if there is one near you coming up soon.
    If you have any further questions, don't hesiate to ask.
    Dr. Baird's law:
    In a voluntary organization, the amount of criticism one receives is directly proportional to the amount of work done and it emanates from those who do the very least.

Just to add onto what Shawnda said.... Mares aren't inspected for approval until they are at least 3 years old so this mare is fine to be inspected this year or next (it won't be "too late". Not sure where in MD you are, but if you are willing to travel, you can still get your mare into the Convention inspection I believe (you may need to contact the office and the paperwork etc will have to be done pretty quick). The Convention is near Knoxville, TN. This is the 35th year for the ATA and there are some pretty fun things planned. Also, there will be A LOT of stallions attending (great for eye candy LOL). THe Conventions are always fun and is a great way to get to know not just the breed but also some more about the bloodlines as well as meet fellow TK lovers/breeders/riders....
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Default when are the conventions?

I would love to go.

Murfreesboro TN. Here is the link to the info on it: http://www.americantrakehner.com/Con...on%20home.html

It is the first week in Nov and is always a ton of fun (with our without the horses).
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Oooh good to know! I'll have to let the BO know and maybe she'll be interested - If it involves making her money, she should be fairly keen on it -

TN is pretty far from us (we're right on the beach on the eastern shore of MD) - but I'm sure there's more even if we wait until next year - Can you have them inspected at 4?
    Friend of bar.ka!

Yes. Age (after they are old enough to be eligible for inspection) doesn't really matter other than the inspector judges what he sees. Older mares(in their teens, etc.) tend sometimes to have age related issues, especially the broodmares.

You can have mares inspected at any age from 3 yo and up. I've had a couple of teenaged mares inspected. The issue with inspecting later is that they may have arth from riding etc and not score as well or other issues like that. I have a filly that I will prob wait till she is 4 to be inspected simply because I want her to be as mature as possible for a better score... you have to gauge it by the filly/mare.

It is prob around 8 or 9 hours from you to the Convention - although I'm bringing horses from FL (11 hrs) and my stallion is coming down from Toronto which will be at least as long so distance is all relative. LOL

Just a short note to let you know that the cost of registering the mare as a three year old is $235.00 plus the DNA for the mother (not sure what it costs, but it is not much). But as of Jan.1st 2010 the cost of registering horses 4 years of age and older with the ATA will be $470.00. So you are best to start the registration process before this mare turns 4 years of age in 2010.
    Dr. Baird's law:

Uh oh ! I am heading out to the farm tonight to continue her with the backing process, so while I'm there I will breach the subject with the BO - I really hope this moves forward as otherwise it would be a huge loss for this mare to go unclaimed by an assoc.

Maybe I'll get some pics tonight to show you all as well - she's really a very pretty girl -

Thanks so much for your help, you all are the bestest
    Friend of bar.ka!

Default What everyone said

I have 3 registered anglo-trak mares, none of whom have been inspected. The older one I couldn't get to carry to term (Falke daughter, sigh). Was planning on getting her inspected with foal at side. The second one I don't plan to breed. The 3rd one I'll get inspected sometime. The mother of the two younger ones was a jockey club registered OTTB who died before getting to an inspection. From my perspective, get her registered definitely and let the new owner worry about inspection, or, if she doesn't sell by next inspection season do it then.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Sounds Bueno - Thanks
    Friend of bar.ka!