The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Forshners Hoof Packing?

I love the Forshners hoof packing and have run out. I have checked two tack shops and looked online at Smart Pak. Is it possible the company is no longer making it? If not, what is a similar product?? I use it mostly at shows to pack feet overnight. Thanks!

Did you check FarmVet or Valley Horse?

I'm pretty sure they still make it. At least, I bought a new tub not to long ago. Maybe ask your farrier where you could get some?

http://www.google.com/products?clien...N&hl=en&tab=wf

Looks like it is still very available.

AKH told me they were discontinuing Forshners... So I bought them out of stock :P I do know that Saddlers Row has some on their mobile unit if you can't find any, give them a call...
    www.millcreekfarm.net
    **RIP Kickstart aka Char 12/2/2009**

I could not get it, either. Word is that is they are having to re-formulate the "recipe" so it is not currently being made. They have not remade any, yet. What is out there is what is left. It is now very hard to find (believe me!) I was told by a vendor that THEY had been told that there was some ingredient in it that has been used in making meth and so Forshnor's now can't get it or use it something to with that. They could be wrong, so if you hear something else let us know!
    see my ribbon quilts at: www.ribbonquilts.com

haven't had any trouble finding it but did hear a rumor they're discontinuing it. I went through a bunch of it a few years ago in the drought. Everybody had sore feet with the hard footing and water restrictions wouldn't allow us to water the rings.

My farrier said it was being discontinued ~ he was not happy about it ~ do not know what he will use in the future.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Altering- were are you finding it? Are you just seeing it listed somewhere or are you actually finding IN stock and are able to order it?
    see my ribbon quilts at: www.ribbonquilts.com

I am in the industry and have been told by mfg that it will be back on the market Nov or Dec. However the pricing I saw was almost twice what the last price was.

You could try magic cushion. Great stuff.
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

I've still got two buckets of it...but my farrier said he likes Hawthorne's better. It seems you can get that several places.

I also really like Amimalintex if I have a horse with sore feet.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

ray steele Guest

Default forshner hoof packing

After waiting to see if the manufacturer came back with Forshners, Horseshoes Unlimited in Gill,MA 1 413 863 2443 has begun making a very similar product in 1 gallon buckets (approx 7.5 lbs) and 1 qt tubs(approx 2lb tub).

Regards

Ray Steele

I tried to purchase some medicine for my daughter's betta fish and was told they had stopped making it because an ingredient could possibly be used for meth making.
    Sad times.

Missouri Sunrise Guest

Default Forshner's Hoof Packing Found

The Forshner's is on a manufacturer's back order, I too was looking for it & tried about 10 sites before I found it. Saddlesource.com sent me to Rick's Heritage Saddlery in West Chester,PA they even have a bigger size than 14 pounds which I would recommend if you are having trouble getting it. My Dad kept his for years in the barn with no problem when he went to use it. You can also consider making some if it gets too hard to find, it is only pine tar & vaseline, if you google the ingredients it even gives you the amounts. Hope this helps.

I didn't know that it was pine tar and vaseline....cool!!

I use pine tar and peanut oil on their hooves year round with great results.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Boy View Post
    You could try magic cushion. Great stuff.
    Except it is almost impossible to remove from the various body parts it ends up on, at least that is what some friends tell me, they prefer Forshners.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Except it is almost impossible to remove from the various body parts it ends up on, at least that is what some friends tell me, they prefer Forshners.
    This is true! My horse laid down and got some on his elbow area. If I pulled hard enough the hair pulled off! I recommend putting paper over it to try and stop it from getting on bellies and legs!

Yes, elbows are the worst, bulbs of the heels too, it really irritated that area badly on one friend's horse.

http://www.kyhorse.com/store/hoofcare/forshners.htm

It's still on Farnam's website; http://www.farnamhorse.com/product.p...=Forshners&cat=
    but out of stock at every supplier linked.