The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Showing "In Hand" or "Halter"???

Our local Arab club is having an All Breeds open show in like 3 weeks. I went to it last year because they team up with our dressage club and host a dressage show and we can use those classes to qualify for championships.

Anyways, I was thinking this may be a good chance to take my young horse (2 y/o Oldenburg) to a show and just get him out and about.

However, I am not so sure about the classes and what to actually DO in the classes lol. Like Grooming and Conditioning - obviously I know what they are looking for but is that just where you stand them up or do you have to move around? And then theres Showmanship but from what Ive read online, I dont think this is what I am looking for. Then they just have "Geldings 2 y/o and up".. but is that like a halter class or what?

From what I read online, the arab shows now like the horses to be stood "open" meaning the legs slightly seperated and head in a natural resting posture. None of the dead even front and back legs like the QH shows. Then you walk a triangle and trot a triangle?? Is that it?

My 2 y/o will wear a bridle and bit just fine BUT he chews and chews and chews. Can a 2 y/o be shown in a halter? Do I braid? Any other tips?
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

For what it's worth, I showed Sammy at that show as a yearling and it was a bit different. I showed him in a bridle but most used a halter. We trotted right away into the ring, one at a time and trotted down the long side and the short side then stood up in line. But that was the yearling class and I'm not sure how the 2yo and up will be. But I think a halter will probably be the norm. No braids but grooming to win counts. It was good practice for us and it was in the indoor at the JEC so I just used it to get him out and about. It's a fun show, you should take him for the fun of it.
    Member of the Redheads with Redheads clique.
    I have a blog about Sammy: http://www.sammyssaga.blogspot.com/

I checked out the show bill, and it's really not clear. In Arab halter, they are shown square, but a bit rocked back onto the haunches. The neck and head are up and very alert. The horses who win at the shows I have been to look like the stereotypical Arab halter horse.

But that's not what you want for your WB baby. It's not what I wanted for my young Arab when I showed him in halter as a 2-yo either. So I showed him as I would have a SHIH horse, just to get some exposure in the indoor ring. He was wearing a bridle, but a nice leather halter would have been fine as well. I stood him up open, head and neck stretched out and lower than the Arab people want. But most importantly, I wanted him to be CALM.

So if I were you, I would treat this as a learning experience. Teach him what YOU want him to know, not what the standard for a different breed might indicate.

And I would probably braid if you can do it quickly and easily, but that is just me.

The halter class would be the Geldings 2 yrs and up. Which is were they stand them up in the classic arab. way and have the really nice show halters on and then trot them about the ring.

The in hand I think is what you want. Since you were talking about your guy wearing a bridle. This is were they show them on the triangle just like a breed show. It will either appear "In hand" or Sport horse In-hand on the book.

to which show are you going exactly?
    www.pinkhorseperformance.com
    Begin as you mean to continue.

Nokota horses just had their own in hand breed class at Dressage at Devon this year with 10 Nokota horses competing. There is a show at Fair Hill that they have their own class also. They looked marvelous! They all wore bridles. I've been to an Arabian show and there they all had these very fine halters and it was mostly Western. It sure isn't as easy as it looks.

Halter and sport horse in hand are two TOTALLY different classes. Sounds like you're talking about an in hand class with the triangle.

The open position is what you would expect to show at with any WB breed show or WB breed registry. (Arab halter wants the front legs together and back legs separate, QH is looking for dead on square)
    At two, he will be required to show in a bridle with a bit. Get an old headstall only (no caveson) and put it on him for meals to get him really comfortable with the bit. You can also use a flash/drop noseband if it will help keep his mouth shut.

The Arab sport horse in hand is pretty much what you'd expect to see at a dressage breeding show, FEH show and lots of warmblood keurings/inspections. I think the Holsteiner site has a GOOD PDF description of how to present your horse. Just skip the part about releasing your horse for judging at liberty and you've got it.....

Just remember - Halter=something TOTALLY different. Fancy halters (more than a nice dressage bridle) and horses are expected to prance around on the end of the lead just barely in control, snorting and blowing with tails over their backs... Not something for a young WB!!!!

http://www.holsteiner.com/PDF/AHHA_s...tory_09new.pdf

This is a HUGE file but the part on Pg. 32-33 is the relevant section.

Thanks guys. I def just want to go and just get him out there and have a good experience. I def dont want him in a ring with horses almost out of control. I would prefer the least amount of trotting possible as my knee is gimpy and he def has a big trot! LOL

So NEGATIVE to the Geldings 2yr and up as I dont want all that crazy stuff going on.

So here is the show bill - would I want Grooming and Conditioning? I wouldnt think so as I do not have him all fat and overweight and he does have some marks on him from the other horses. Maybe Model Hunter?? Eek. I just want to try to get him in a class that is somewhat appropriate and we wont look totally silly. I dont care if we place, etc.

http://nfarabianclub.com/Fall%20Show%20Bill%202009.doc
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

show your horse as you would in a breed show designed for your particular horse. the show bill indicated arab only classes where those horses will be shown as arabs. grooming and conditioning are judged on that alone...conformation plays no part. showmanship is judged on accuracy of pattern etc. like in 4H. halter classes are judged on quality and conformation. set the horse up as you would for their discipline and show them in a bridle/halter according to your breed rules. have fun!!

we have a very similar show that same weekend in orlando and we have halter classes for arabs and other/all breeds.
    www.pinkhorseperformance.com
    Begin as you mean to continue.