The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking "A proud gramma" -- as my daughter's pony does me proud otday

I don't get ot post here that often, so most folks likely don't know our little Sandy Ann. Please would you bare with me while i tell you about her?

SandyAnn was at an auction I attended before we even had our own trailer. I was there to purchase tack and much needed barn items...oops! Here was this darling, 11 1-1/2" POA looking "pink" pony, shaking in horror in the back of a stall. She was completely feral, never having been touched before in her life for anything until she was coggins'ed and drug to the sale barn. (My daughter, then 7, was a pink fanatic, btw, and had never had a horse of her own yet in her life.)

I nervously went toe-to-toe with the meat buyer to rescue this little one, paid our fee, then paid the sale barn owner to deliver her. At midnight, a stock traileir arrived iwth a horrified pony shaking inside, backed up to my barn door, and allowed her to dart into a broodmare stall.

Long story short, for a year, the only way to handle Sandy was with then 7 year old tory at her side. Sandy wouldn't even come in to eat if she couldn't see Tory's red hair! tory would sit in the paddock and read aloud to this pony, and otherwise just loved on her every chance she got, in a quiet easy way. I told tory that the pony had a place with us for life.

A few months later, tory was terribly ill, and was off school for weeks, and wasn't to be outside 'unnecessarily'. Every day, twice per day, I opened the paddock gate and called, "Sandy, Window". sandy would race through the gate, tear to the livingroom window, and tap or lick the window. Tory would giggle with glee, crawl out from under the covers, opn the window, and feed sandy carrots. Soon, tory was outside, just 5 minutes, to see her pony. When medicines weren't healing her, her pony did. that pony DEFINITELY has a place here for life.

fast forward...
    i made some mistakes training Sandy for Tory. I hadn't started a green pony in 20 years, and a green anything in nearly as long. This is a typical POA pony, with tons of spunk and spirit, and once she was W/T pretty steadily, I let her canter the first time. She LOVED IT, and I let her hand gallop osme. Since that day, Sandy has believed her mission in life is to be a racehorse. Stripes the Zebra has nothing on this overweight classic pony who outruns everything on my property except the TBs!

Sadly, now, at 16, tory is too big to ride Sandy at any level of intensity. (No more barrels/poles, no long gallops across the corn fields); they still play together now and then. So, sandy gets very little work, and she's a bored little girl much of the time.

SO, now we're finally to bragging and today!

This weekend was our biggest fundraiser of the year. We do draft horse and pony rides at a local feed store's Pet Fair Extravaganza. We typically do about 300 rides in a day. A few weeks ago, my husband decided that this year Sandy owuld be the 'relief pony' to give the primary pony breaks. I told him he was nuts. this high strung spirited pony would NEVER manage the job of leadline pony rides.

The little angel proved me wrong today. With Tory at her side as the 'child guide', and Tory's boyfriend at her head, Sandy Ann provided about 25 rides today!!!! She was quicker than all the others combined and really didn't like the camel at the neighboring petting zoo, but she was really terrific and I could not have been more proud!!!

Well, truth be told, i couldn't have been more proud of the 3 of them, together, doing their best to help the charity through one of the roughest financial years we've ever had. It was a pretty fantastic day....
    AnnMarie Cross, Pres, Crosswinds Equine Rescue, cwer.org
    Sidell IL (near Champ./UofI/Danville IL/IN state border)

AnneMarie - that is wonderful!!! PLEASE - send me pics and I promise to upload them onto the thread!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

awww! Another saved pony makes my day.

Default Awww, AnnMarie!

What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing. I've started to develop a hankering for a pony! My 16 y.o. daughter, who has heretofore been absent from the barn, now wants a pony to .... Say whaaaatt????? It's all good... I think....she's a drama queen...?..and, did I mention she's 16????

Wonderful! My big love in equines are apps and mares and ponies. And you have a PINK appy pony mare????
    Agreed...photos of the wonder pony are a MUST!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Yes, MUST have pony pics!!!
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Wow, what a wonderful story, and what a marvelous Pink Princess of a Pony!
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

And pics....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cute face sandy.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	26781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tory sandy leadline number.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	26782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE007.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	26783  
    www.specialhorses.org

and a few more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sandyfirstbarrel.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	26784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tory leadline sandy.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	26785  
    www.specialhorses.org

THANKS, Dressage! Greatly appreciate your sharing same.

One is Sandy at the livingroom window when tory was so ill;
    the next is sandy's first show, and tory's too! doing leadline together. yes, that's me in the photo also. they were teh only pony in the class, and my shy daughter wouldnt go in the arena alone!
    then there's the 2 of them in their first "riding" class together -- leadline, yep, mom again at the helm;
    then the 2 of them in their first showing barrels run together -- yes! mom doesn't have to look goofie taking the pony in barrels anymore!
    finally is their last show in english garb before tory admitted she's too tall (although nowhere near too heavy) to be showing with sandy anymore.

i'm still hoping to get photos of the weekend's pony rides, with tory at sandy's side being the 'catch girl', and her boyfriend at the pony's head keeping her easy. NO ONE else except dad could lead the pony for the rides -- including me. She would have none of it. she wanted her girl at her flank, singing to her when either were nervous, and dad or boyfriend at her head with her in the place of honor between them!!
    AnnMarie Cross, Pres, Crosswinds Equine Rescue, cwer.org
    Sidell IL (near Champ./UofI/Danville IL/IN state border)

Oh my gosh - how stinkin' cute! The one of pony at the window needs to be blown up and framed for the living room. That little white nose just begs to be kissed. What a great story.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.