The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Horses left tied to trees and starving in VA - Owner Outed and Charged

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_n...rving_20090926

Don't know yet how they are doing now. If this was already posted sorry, didn't see it.

Idiot has been outed and charged

http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/...1ede0df3f.html
    Last edited by abbydp; Oct. 6, 2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Charges filed

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Oh my. That's a clear case of anonymous abandonment.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

The story does say that someone turned the owner in. I will keep an eye on it and if the news outs them when they are charged I will post it. The thing is, it's a small area around here. Very few people could own 5 horses and someone not recognize them. So good on whoever turned them in. I understand being beyond your means and sinking, but there are resources available if you look and will ask for help. Guess I am glad they cared enough to provide water.

I'm glad someone ID'ed the owner. We had a case here in July with three horses and never found the owner. Vet clinic staff showed up one morning to find three mares in body condition of 1.0 left in a paddock. No one claimed them. We got called in, picked up the mares, and police started searching for an owner. Newspaper ran stories... no one claimed them, no one knew who the owner was.

Horses are recovering- but I wish we had an owner. Abandonment is a crime...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Wow...that is right here in Suffolk! This is the first I've heard of it. It said they were found on Wilroy Rd which is north of Suffolk itself not far from where I used to work. I sure hope the owner gets in some major big trouble but will probably get the usual slap on the wrist that is given for animal neglect/abuse. I did not recognize any of the horses but there are a lot of them around here in people's back yards.

I hope the owner rots in hell
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

OMG, that is right down the road from me, I hope those people are caught and punished!

How utterly disgusting.

I sincerely hope the perpetrators get what they deserve!

Man....sometimes people really suck.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I wish they would - once found guilty, of course - let us at them. We could take turns as to who gets to be on the COTH Posse.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Little bit more - apparently they do have the owner.

http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/...1c56c7c83.html

Not that I am an advocate of simply letting horses loose to fend for themselves - that's wrong. As abbydp said, there are resources available. But tying them to a tree - they had no chance of surviving as opposed to being loose - as dangerous that is.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Unfortunately, this has become standard operating procedure in many agrarian areas where there are horse farms. People are doing it with other animals as well because they are too prideful to say "I can't handle it."
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

^ Yes, and on occasion, in these rotten time$, there has been the reverse of horse theft: You go out to your field and find an extra horse or more. Or trailer your horse to go for a trail ride and come back to find a strange horse loaded in your trailer. What a thing to be confronted with!

I don't get it.. they left them buckets of water but nothing else? They really couldn't have thrown a few bales amongst them too? Or tied them so they could've reached the grass somehow? Not that that would be much better, but just the fact that they seemed to care a LITTLE to leave the water, but then no food?!..
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

We're having trouble in Richmond, Kentucky. If you go to the auction, you have to leave someone with your trailer or you will come back to find horses tied to your trailer.

CowgirlJenn, you will love this one. I got called for four abandoned horses last week. The idiot who left them, left a note. This was a cruelty case I had been working on already, the idiot was keeping them in dog pens, yes dog pens. My hands were tied cause they were being fed. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. This man had come to me originally to adopt, but, didnt want to pay so he got these horses FREE from another rescue in GA who refused to talk with me. They were all thin, 2-3 on the scale, and yes, a stallion. So, now we will soon be 6 horses.

Well, the fool leaves a note that he is abandoning the animals. Duh. The good ole boys here dont want to charge him cause they all know him and his momma and his gramma ya know. So, I am feeding them, and caring for them but refuse to pick them up. Told them they dont pay me enough. This is an open and shut case and no excuse for not charging him. I ended up having to go over there heads so, now I am awaiting any news. Still caring for them and got them a small pasture where they can finally move around at least. Ya gotta love the good ole boy syndrome.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

sounds like not only the horse needs a testicle cure.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by snkstacres View Post
    CowgirlJenn, you will love this one.
    Ugh... just... ugh.

One of our best ACOs died recently. I am really upset by this - because he was a GREAT man. Nice guy, did a great job, cared about the animals. He just went to sleep and didn't wake up.. very hard on everyone who knew him.

His replacement is a young guy who thinks he knows all and we know nothing. And I have a case with dead horses, and he won't do anything because the other horses have grass. He won't even LOOK at the ones the owner surrendered recently. Or the ones in pens who are in horrid shape (body condition of 1 - 2). Fortunately, this owner knows he's in over his head and will let us have as many of the horses as we can find space for. I don't know what we're going to do with the other case we have in the county....
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com