The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default solar electric fences - how well do they work?

We just bought a new property with some nice field/turn out areas. I'm planning to put electric fencing on it as our horses have learned to stay off the fences with hot wires. The current fencing is wood post and board. Most is in good shape but I know the electric fencing will help keep it that way !

We dont have electricity down in that area so Im thinking that a solar unit may be the right answer. I havent used solar electric fencing before so am wondering how reliable it is? How about in the winter with some - but minimal amounts of sun? We are in Tehachapi - lower Sierras in California.

Any insight appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    We just bought a new property with some nice field/turn out areas. I'm planning to put electric fencing on it as our horses have learned to stay off the fences with hot wires. The current fencing is wood post and board. Most is in good shape but I know the electric fencing will help keep it that way !

We dont have electricity down in that area so Im thinking that a solar unit may be the right answer. I havent used solar electric fencing before so am wondering how reliable it is? How about in the winter with some - but minimal amounts of sun? We are in Tehachapi - lower Sierras in California.

Any insight appreciated.
    As long as they're grounded properly they pack a punch. Mine leaves bruises if we accidentally touch it. We have three ground rods all 8 ft deep.
    M

Get a big one. Those wussie little units are a waste of money.

The secret to any electric fence, whether solar or mains powered, is the grounding. Download, print out, and read this manual, especially around Page 4 relating to poor soil conditions. Frozen ground is just as bad as dry ground when it comes to electrical conductivity.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Agreed with all that has been said. The first one I got didn't have nearly enough of a punch to it. Go bigger than what you think you need. I use a 25 mile charger to run a single hot rope on the inside of my fence in a 5 acre pasture.

This is the one I have and it worked so well, I got a second one for another pasture. We've had probably 10 straight days right now with no sun and it is still quite hot. Obviously you want to try to face it so that it gets the most hours of sun possible on those good sunny days.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraHannah View Post
    Agreed with all that has been said. The first one I got didn't have nearly enough of a punch to it. Go bigger than what you think you need. I use a 25 mile charger to run a single hot rope on the inside of my fence in a 5 acre pasture.

This is the one I have and it worked so well, I got a second one for another pasture. We've had probably 10 straight days right now with no sun and it is still quite hot. Obviously you want to try to face it so that it gets the most hours of sun possible on those good sunny days.
    Yep - that's the same fencer I have, and it's been going strong for almost 6 years now! The only maintanence is keeping the little wing nuts cleaned off about once/year with a little baking soda. Mine tend to develop a fair amount of rust I have it facing south and have never had a problem with it not staying charged. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
    Cindy

My solar energizer is great too. I live in an area where the ground is very dry in the summer so although I have 10ft ground rods, sometimes they fail. With all of our fields we have changed the fencing so that now we have a live and a ground fence wire running parallel to one another on the fenceline. The horses have to touch both of these wires to get a shock. Works every time without fail now.

Mine was $100 a few years ago. i just got shocked today when i accidentally touched a wire. So it's working just fine.

Ours are down to "unpleasant tickle" right now, probably due to the grass and weeds shorting them out. They are still effectively keeping the deer out as far as we can tell.

Horses have pretty good memories, the neighbor's horses used to have hot tape on our side and it took a good year before they would even think about coming close to that fence. I've also ridden near a hot tape fence and my horse knew for a fact that stuff would bite him.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I have the Parmak charger that is referenced above. It is great about 8 months of the year, but when the days grow shorter in the Northeast, it doesn't seem to hold a charge. I called Parmak, and they sent me a replacement, but the replacement has the same problem. Well grounded, and not shorting. This is only for a 1/4 acre paddock. I use it as the hot top rail.

Ditto to everything FrankB said. I've had the Parmak unit noted above for 8 years and needed to replace the internal battery in 2007. I wish I had purchased this unit http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/...G7&pf_id=12154
    instead.

If grounded properly, with a good battery and fenceline is free of debris - OUCH! We have a car battery on ours and it's a smallish one called Solar Shock, I believe. I just got shocked on it a few weeks ago and it was not pleasant. My mares know to stay back.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

I have a Zareba 10 mile Solar unit (black casing). I keep my 3 yo colt in an enclosed area (limited pature due to injury) using temp electric fence (t-posts and 2 strands 7/8 tape). It stays off most of the time. He doesnt go near it. It packs a punch. Whenever he goes to "test" it I just fire it back up and we are good for another month or so. Love it and so easy.

We had a Parmak and it lasted for years. Fabulous piece of equipment. I think we had to replace the battery once.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."