The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Finding time to ride

ok this is partly a vent and partly a question.
    I am currently training both of my daughters and giving a few lessons each week. I spend at least 6 days a week at the barn for about 3-4 hours a day. for some reason I NEVER find time to ride ( in the summer I am there for 5-6 hours a day). I do have a VERY curious ( independent, sometimes unruly) 2 yr old but my older Dd can take care of her if I have time to ride.
    I STILL can't get it done! I really want to ride, we have babies to break ( my mom is not in good enough physical shape to do it) and young ones to be ridden ( other kids are doing it now) and older ones to ride too LOL! but by the time I get done with the girls and the lessons I just can't get a ride in!!
    SOMEONE just tell me I need to DO IT! Like tomorrow , I need to leave the KIDS home and just do it !! But they beg to go and hate to miss a day!!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

I understand. I have 1 night that is me night. I go without em. They accept that.

Sounds like DDs are hinderin instead of helpin. Maybe you could make them your grooms/babysitters--they dont ride that day but get the ones caut/brushed/saddled that you are riding? Then & only then can they go. Betcha they wont go if it means work. (how old are they?)
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    I understand. I have 1 night that is me night. I go without em. They accept that.

Sounds like DDs are hinderin instead of helpin. Maybe you could make them your grooms/babysitters--they dont ride that day but get the ones caut/brushed/saddled that you are riding? Then & only then can they go. Betcha they wont go if it means work. (how old are they?)
    That might work they do like to groom and play around though, so they will still be there ( which I don't mind at all) really its the little little one who causes the chaos LOL! but she is getting better so my older ones are more willing to help with her.
    And its not just the Dd's there are 4 other boys around too LOL they work at the farm and by the time I get there to ride in the afternoon they are ready to go home ( can't blame them they start a 7am) I think weekends would be the best my youngest stays home with hubby but by the time the girls are done riding my phone is ringing and he wants to know where we are ( humm I will give you three guesses LOL) he needs to understand that this all takes time, lots and lots of time! I think he needs to join a new band , one that plays more so he gets to escape more often like i do!!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Teach from the back of a horse. You can play things like follow the leader and red light green light.

You can also enlist the kids to play jump crew and set the wildest craziest 12" course they can think of for you to jump. Helps to despook creatures without being intimidating (at ground pole height) and keeps the kids in the ring where you can keep an eye on them while you ride.

1 members found this post helpful.