The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TSC to carry Nutrena?

Hi, forgive me if this has been mentioned before, I went to TSC to peruse the dog items and saw pamplets advertising TSC carrying Nutrena starting Oct 5th.? Has anyone else heard this? Will it be all stores? Also, I do know some stores in MI carry Kent products, but some do not.

TIA,

Karen and former cresty neck Bear who thrives on Safe choice.
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Ooooh, I hadn't heard that. I would love to have another place to get it as a back up. Plus I will be interested to see their prices. The TSC near me doesn't seem so competitive - wood pellet bedding is $6.79 a bag.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfArabian View Post
    Hi, forgive me if this has been mentioned before, I went to TSC to peruse the dog items and saw pamplets advertising TSC carrying Nutrena starting Oct 5th.?
    dunno about Nutrena but I did hear that Purina's top 13 or 14 SKU's will be selling thru TSC

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Nutrena and Purina in TSCs, all of them, starting Monday I believe.

Now, I'm sure there might be a TSC somewhere that chooses not to, and I'm sure it won't be all the same products in all the stores, but if they're now dealers, they should be able to get what you want.

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

I work there..... 9 days (from today) until we carry purina/nutrena.

Purina we will carry (it's my understanding that unlike the other feed dealers we used in the past [bluebonnet, kent, etc.] the purina/nutrena will be the same in every store) is as follows:
    -Strategy
    -Omonlene 100/200/300
    -Eq Senior
    -Eq Junior

And then SafeChoice and Life Stages (4 kinds?) from Nutrena/Cargill.

And just a note, I doubt they will order different types of purina feed, it's a pain in the butt to order and they will rarely (if ever) do so for less than a full pallet.

Also, I forgot to mention, TSC gave Bluebonnet/Kent/etc. the axe. No more orders will be placed thru them as all that feed is on clearance to move it to make room for Purina/Nutrena POGs.

I saw it too, just today on their outdoor lighted sign.

I found it very strange because a feed store maybe 5 miles away has been carrying Nutrena for years - 7 that I know of. Suprised they'd have two dealers so close in proximity.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Oh, in our case, it's *utrena*. The N must have fallen off.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Ah that makes sense if they're bringing in Purina & Nutrena! I was wondering why they were getting rid of Kent, etc and not restocking! Our TSC had signs that they wouldn't be getting any more in but didn't state WHAT brand(s) would be replacing what they were getting rid of.
    *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
    My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog

That really stinks that the Purina lineup won't include the ration balancers

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

HAHAHA, yeah, there is a Purina dealer literally IN THE NEXT PARKING LOT from our store. Kinda seems like a conflict of interest to me, but whatever, I think that may be why we just have limited stuff. But what I don't understand is that we had many customers that buy their grain next door (purina) and then come over here to get supplements, hay, equipment, etc...... and then we have our customers that buy our mid-price range feed (ex: bluebonnet, kent, etc.) which we no longer carry and could potentially lose those customers because of it.

And you couldn't pay me enough to feed Nutrena to my horses, and I'm not a fan of anything but Purina's Omolene 300, and even then I liked the feed store in Ocala's version of Omo 300 better anyways when I lived there.

Purina makes Dumor, for all who don't know....

Same here--I bet it is nation-wide. I'm kind of disappointed, actually. Lots of places by me already stock Purina and I hear mixed things about the Nutrena consistency. I have no complaints about Kent's Dynasty Pro as a good, reasonably priced, fixed ingredient, all-around feed. I think it was $12.75 a bag. I'm guessing the others will cost more...

I suppose they won't carry any of the Triple Crown anymore either...our TSC carried either the light or the low startch.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Wow.... now only if I had a TSC nearby.....

So they won't be carrying XTN? Love that stuff... would love to have another dealer in the area so prices world be competitive.

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

I don't know that we'll be able to get Nutrena at TSC as I've heard that Country Max has blocked anyone else in our immediate area from selling it. At least I know that Victor Farm store can't sell it. Now, that said, it was several yrs ago so I don't know if it still is true. I do believe I could drive to Avon Feed and get Nutrena as I know my trainer, whose farm is in Avon, feeds Nutrena so I'm guessing she gets it from the Avon feed store.

I'll try to remember to call TSC and see if they are going to carry it and the price. It's a few miles further away but not that much if they are a reasonable amount cheaper. I'll check to see if they have shavings any less but I don't think TSC delivers and that's a plus for Country Max.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

MSJ-
    Country Max does retain full distribution rights on the Safe Choice, although not on every Nutrena product. I was so sick and tired of dealing with Country Max and their craptastic customer service that I now feed a Blue Seal product from Victor Feed. I was talking to Matt there and he had also heard that TSC might be carrying Safe Choice. If Nutrena dropped their contract with CM, I'm sure Matt could get it in too. My only issue with TSC is that they always seem to be over priced. However, their customer service is better, so I'd probably be willing to pay a little more. Either way, I'm still holding out for Victor Feed to carry it. He is awesome to work with and his prices can't be beat! I was tempted to write a letter to Nutrena stating that CM isn't doing their product justice... with this new developement, it may be worth sending one in... may open up other vendors to carry it!
    Stupid Country Max... stupid, stupid Country Max!
    'To do something common, uncommonly well, brings success' -HJH
    'Shealinator'- My Saratoga/ Finger Lakes Finest

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyPonies View Post
    MSJ-
    Country Max does retain full distribution rights on the Safe Choice, although not on every Nutrena product. I was so sick and tired of dealing with Country Max and their craptastic customer service that I now feed a Blue Seal product from Victor Feed. I was talking to Matt there and he had also heard that TSC might be carrying Safe Choice. If Nutrena dropped their contract with CM, I'm sure Matt could get it in too. My only issue with TSC is that they always seem to be over priced. However, their customer service is better, so I'd probably be willing to pay a little more. Either way, I'm still holding out for Victor Feed to carry it. He is awesome to work with and his prices can't be beat! I was tempted to write a letter to Nutrena stating that CM isn't doing their product justice... with this new developement, it may be worth sending one in... may open up other vendors to carry it!
    Stupid Country Max... stupid, stupid Country Max!
    It's funny but I tried to deal with Victor in the past. Actually, about 20 yrs the first time but they weren't open on Sundays so I had to go to CM and Sunday was usually the day I had time to get feed. Then several yrs ago I remember calling them for their price on shavings and to see if I ordered a large order (over 100 bales) would they give me a break on price. The fellow that answered had no idea even about the price of shavings let alone would they give me a break. I never bothered to call back because if they had people working for them that didn't even know a basic price on a bale of shavings, I didn't want to do business with them.

Now I do agree that whenever I've been the TSC in Canandaigua, they have been great to deal with so I'd not mind going back. Actually, I do need to replace about 3 gates but I've waited this long I'll wait till spring.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I work at TSC, and we're having a store meeting tonight about the feed switch. I'll post all the information I know when I have it.

MSJ- I have heard the same thing about Victor Feed from a few different people but my understanding is that Matt's dad or uncle was running the place. Since he has taken over, (relatively recently), things have been great, customer service AWESOME and prices can't be beat. If TSC doesn't carry something you need, it may well be worth giving it another shot. Don't get me wrong... if it ain't broke, don't fix it... as long as TSC is good to you, that's all that matters at the end of the day. I just know I always like to have a backup store just in case someone isn't open or doesn't have something. Horses always seem to need oddball things after closing or on weekends! Haha! I'll have to keep an eye on the Safe Choice though. I'm excited about the prospect of getting it back in my barn! Happy Trails!
    'To do something common, uncommonly well, brings success' -HJH
    'Shealinator'- My Saratoga/ Finger Lakes Finest

LoveMyPonies-most of the time I usually go to Country Max in Farmington and am not unhappy unless it's a shavings delivery which they screw up 9 times out 10. BUT, that said, I will give Victor feed another try. I do hope their website is up to date as they do list shavings, which I know they dropped for a while cause that's where my neighbor always got her shavings and feed and she was complaining that they didn't carry shavings anymore. Course that was a while ago too, probably at least a couple of yrs.

Actually Victor is a bit closer than Farmington as I'm in Mendon.
    Sue