The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adequan vs. joint injection

I have some free time this morning so here's another question :

20 yr old retired hunter needs some help with mild arthritis. Has had 2 hock injections during his show yrs but nothing since. I am thinking maybe adequan instead of the joint injection since he probably could use a little help all over but a few years ago a well respected vet told me that adequan did not due much for the older horse. Any thoughts? TIA

I can't address for an older horse, but I can say I have one 9YO gelding Adequan definitely helps and a couple of other 4YOs that I can't tell if it does or doesn't.

Default If it were me this is what I would do...

First, I'd get flexions done and x-rays from there if indicated. Narrow down the overall pain areas. If the arthritis is centralized mainly in one area (ex. hocks seems pretty standard for my older athletes) I think you get more bang for your buck and more long term effect from joint injections. Try msm or some other anti-inflamatory for the overall inflamation. Or do both--joint and Adequan. Turnout is great for arthritis. Keep them moving around.

Adequan is a one month treatment if you follow the label and each shot is only active for about 4 days/per the manufacturer's website. Now I know lots of people use one or two shots a month and have good things to say--I'm not saying they are wrong either!

Just my thoughts. I'd talk to your vet.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

You might want to consider trying IV Legend too if a) you don't get the results you hoped for with the adequan b) you concerned about the risk of doing a joint injection.

But before you decide, ask your vet what he would recommend (he's the one with years of experience after all )

I personally don't think that Adequan or Legend do very much. If your horse has a known problem such as arthritic hocks like he has, you would be far better off IMO to inject the hocks directly.

I didn't realize adequan only lasted for a month... I am dragging my feet on the hock injections as I think he might need help elsewhere and I am looking for something that might give him allover help since its just little things that I have noticed. He does not show o/f anymore so I am looking for his comfort and riding longevity for me

We've used Adequan, Legend and hock injections on my jumper, who has bad hocks (and the xrays and ultrasounds to prove it).

When he was still competing we did Legend once a month, Adequan before and after every show and HA hock injections every 3-6 months. It became obvious that even with all this the hocks were still a problem so the horse has been semi-retired (very little jumping but no major "upkeep" now).

I remember my vet telling me that one of the injectables (can't remember which but maybe someone else can) is better for long term arthritic problems and one is better for a current injury type issue.

As I said, we threw everything at the arthritic hocks "just in case"

Though mine is arthritic in a different area - his hocks are good - Adequan helps him a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ProzacPuppy View Post
    I remember my vet telling me that one of the injectables (can't remember which but maybe someone else can) is better for long term arthritic problems and one is better for a current injury type issue.
    Yes, my vet believes Adequan is better for more acute phases and Legend better for chronic phases. I do both and hock injections because I'm insane!

I do Adequan every three weeks; Legend when I think she could use it; hock injections once a year.

We don't show. She's 16 and I want her sound enough to go over 2'6" fences for giggles.

Adequan will affect his entire body. Corticosteroid hock injections will only affect the hocks. If only his hocks bother him, do his hocks. Pretty inexpensive to just do Vetalog and Amikan. If he is having more systemic arthritic issues, the Adequan will help him more.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by lstevenson View Post
    I personally don't think that Adequan or Legend do very much. If your horse has a known problem such as arthritic hocks like he has, you would be far better off IMO to inject the hocks directly.
    I have to disagree, Legend does wonders for my arthritic hock horse. And, only as a maintance I inject with cortisone.

We just completed the loading dose for Adequan. I've seen a definite change for the better. Don't know how long it will last.

My vet says IJ injections are a "diminishing success" practice (each injection will last less time than the previous until they don't work at all).

We selected IM Adequan after quite a bit of research and converstions with experienced equine vets. It seems to be "working as advertised."

G.