The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So grateful for a huge miracle once again!

As most of you know, my young stallion Panzyr was recently gelded at age 3 years and 3 months. He spent 30 days in a paddock to get the testosterone out of his system and then yesterday was put out to pasture with my broodies. All was going wonderfully.

Tonight I go out to feed and do my regular routine, which takes about an hour. I had recently moved my pasture mares up the hill where they need to eat in the Winter. All the sudden I notice that there is no chesnut Panzyr out there. Now Panzyr is a very social horse and there's no way he would be absent from the main herd by his own mechanisms.

So now I'm beginning to panic. But I tell myself not to worry. Of course in the back of my mind is the last time this happened when I found my beloved 2 year old colt Luger with a broken leg. I already have tears in my eyes because I know only something God awful could keep him from dinner.

So I finish my feeding, put the truck in 4x4 and head out into the pasture to search for Panzyr. He's not coming to my calls. I stop and look in the ravines, with my heart in my throat! No Panzyr!

Finally on the far West side of the pasture and about 30 minutes into the search, I see a bay way off in the distance. So I drive down there and then finally I recognize Panzyr, on the other side of the fence, with my neighbors mules, acting like he's starving to death!!! he's so sweaty he appears a bay!

I've rarely been so grateful in my life. I don't know how Panzyr got on the other side but based on his colorful reputation for jumping fences and breeding mares....I suspect the damn fool jumped the fence! He obviously was more energetic getting on the other side than getting back home! He has no cuts, or scrapes. One thing I did notice is the fence is very HOT! My horses are used to hot fences but not really HOT fences. I think he was scared to jump back because he figures out how hot it was.

The moral of the story?

Thank God Panzyr is safe AND he's a gelding!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panzyr2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	26777  
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

And you thought it was going to be clear sailing after the operation...
    But even if he didn't have the lobotomy, I think the mules are a safe bet.
    (although... is there any 2009 model Hinnies across that fence? )

I don't know if there are any Hinney's over there!!! But DAMN what's it take to get a horse to understand "Your not a Gigilo anymore!!!"
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

Great story, glad he's okay! Maybe he has a thing for big ears.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Nice to hear a pleasant outcome. Maybe he figures he can now 'play the field' since there is no chance of him being the baby daddy!!
    If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com

Glad that he's alright!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Glad of the good outcome!!
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

The operative word is "recently."

I have a gelding, age 11, who was castrated coming three and is out bellowing like a stallion right now.

Wink

I have a 15 year old gelding who thinks he's a stud--but he's never actually jumped the fence to meet a mule!

Glad to hear that he's ok and accounted for!!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Glad to hear this story ended well

Hopefully he doesnt keep thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the fence and keep heading over to check things out!

OMG . I am so glad he is okay.
    How many years did he age you in that 30 mins