The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Horse shelter on a budget in NOVA

We are looking to build some sort of horse shelter. We keep going back and forth between a simple run in shed to a shedrow with a possible overhang. With building a home, purchasing land, and all that fencing, funds are tight.

Suggestions on the type of shelter and companies that you may have used to either build or deliver a prebuilt run in or shedrow would be great.

Thanks in advance for all your imput
    COURAGE is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/pr...rivateDiamonds

How about a run-in (be SURE to orient it to block the weather, or it's not going to be much help) that you can put walls in for stalls leter? Horses are pretty happy with run-ins, and particularly like the ability move around (that's Nature's "warm-up" technique, anyway).

I think one of the most budget-friendly routes is a shedrow such as those made by Eberly.

http://www.eberlybarns.net

You might consider getting one that is a combo of stalls and a run-in, or of course you could just opt for a run-in. The Eberly barns are quite nice; my vet has several on his property in addition to his main barn and with some paint and a pretty cupola they look really good. If you do go this route just be sure to get the stalls (or inside of run-in) lined with oak all the way up (not just the first 4') because there is a risk (albeit small) that a horse could kick through the side of the barn. The oak solves that problem.

I have a center aisle barn but am planning to add an Eberly shedrow in the spring because we need additional stalls. Another great thing about them is that they can be moved, for example if you ever decide to change the layout of your farm or sell the property.

Thanks so much for the advice so far. With purchasing the land, building the house, fencing, and shelter it is a lot to consider all at once. Of course money makes the world go round and if it wasn't an object I would have a barn built

Again, thanks for the imput and please keep them coming

We live in Northern Virginia. What direction do our winter winds come from? Like Nightsong suggested I want to be sure I am placing the run in correctly to protect from the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Private Diamonds View Post
    We live in Northern Virginia. What direction do our winter winds come from? Like Nightsong suggested I want to be sure I am placing the run in correctly to protect from the elements.
    Usually the northwest.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I went to my local feed store today and noticed they were carrying a different brand of run in shelters. I asked about the old model they had for display, bought it for $200 with wood sides painted, 12x12; couldn't buy the wood for that amount of money. Just a thought if you ever see a display model just ask (also for $50 they'll delivery and set up for me)

The place down the road (I was AMAZED to finf that these "Amish-built" pre-made shedrows and run-ins are verrrrry widely-made) has both rental units and rental returns that are particularly low-priced. Perhaps you'll find that around you.

ETA i'm in central virginia.
    Last edited by nightsong; Sep. 30, 2009 at 08:43 AM.

I second the Eberly shed. We had them make a shed-row barn and hay/feed building for us. Loved it. Customized everything, exactly where we wanted it, direction the doors opened, height of stall dividers.
    Only thing I'd do differently was get the roof raised a foot. It was a bit low for my WB. They now offer a WB size!

Quote Originally Posted by Private Diamonds View Post
    Can you be more specific? It can differ based on where. When I built, I found wind data for Dulles Airport, which is a bit far, but the closest with long-term data available.

NW is the prevailing direction for most winters, but I oriented my barn with the aisle running E/W. I'd say we have more western wind than north. I'm in the Philomont area. This gives me the pitch of the roof to absorb more sun in winter and since I put a porch on the south side, it gives extra shade on the warmer side in summer.

But, my barn closes up nicely and I have excellent summer ventilation. Even though I wired for fans, I have yet to buy and install them, after 5 summers. I do put a single fan in the aisle on the hottest of days.

For Run ins, which I still want in my fields, I am debating on setting them in a fenceline where I can use a run in for two fields with a small amount of fencing and gates, or the NW angle. Since I have no money for them yet, I have more time to think about it though.