The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need Suspensory-related Advice from Racetrack Folks

I know ya'll to be the leg gurus, and I have an issue I'm facing regarding a hind suspensory rehab. Pls. p.m. for details - I would love any knowledge/advice you could provide. Thanks in advance.

Here's my advice...time, time, then more time.

One of my current horses pulled a suspensory while in race training. He had a lot of time off at a good lay up farm and was able to go back to training. He wasn't a good race horse before the injury so he's now becoming a great little Event horse.

I've never had problems with it... (knock on wood!)

Any experience with neurectomy/fasciotomy for hind leg suspensory desmitis? Not sure I'm crazy about something invasive......also a little leery of the procedure due to recent findings on atrophy of the ligament in years post-surgery. However, I'm looking for real-life experiences with this and its success or failure. I'm not against the time route - have done it in the past and am willing to do it again - but neurectomy is being present by vet as an option and I'm not as knowledgeable about it as I would like to be. By the way, this is not for a horse on the track but for a cutting horse.
    Last edited by kypeep; Sep. 26, 2009 at 11:10 AM.

Time, turnout , time, more turnout, more time.

Quote Originally Posted by kypeep View Post
    Any experience with neurectomy/fasciotomy for hind leg suspensory desmitis? Not sure I'm crazy about something invasive......also a little leery of the procedure due to recent findings on atrophy of the ligament in years post-surgery. However, I'm looking for real-life experiences with this and its success or failure. I'm not against the time route - have done it in the past and am willing to do it again - but neurectomy is being present by vet as an option and I'm not as knowledgeable about it as I would like to be. By the way, this is not for a horse on the track but for a cutting horse.
    Definitely no experience with that thank God but its my belief that dsld is often life threatening. Jingling for both you.

Thanks for all the replies, very much appreciate the advice. This particular horse doesn't appear to be true genetic DSLD (although there is an ex-polo mare here on the farm who is and it's sad to see the progression no matter how comfortable we try to keep her). She has strained her hind suspensories in her work (cutting horse) and is having a chronic issue with them now. Not overtly lame at all but short-strided behind and not completely comfortable. We have tried injecting to bring down the inflammation, rest, etc., only to have her go back to work and appear uncomfortable. I am getting some feedback otherwise that the performance horse folks in both English and Western arenas use this procedure and have good results as long as the horse's rehab is managed appropriately.

If I remember correctly there is some sort of test they can do to see if it is dsld or not. genetic test maybe? Try a search and see what you come up with. I would look into that before I did too much else because as you know its progressive in spite of your attempts to keep it at bay. I personally would not go the nerving route as that doesn't change anything except the pain level and you can do that with medication.