The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default It's already time to clip! Which size?

Hello all, it is barely fall and it is already time to clip Mr. Fuzzy Britches. It's so hot down here in FL and his coat is already starting to come in. I imagine that I will be clipping him this weekend or next and then again in a month or two when the rest of his coat comes in.

I have size 10 blades but last year he went from looking fuzzy and cute to mousy and bald, yuck. What's a good length that will leave him looking more natural? The smaller the size of the blade the longer the hair left, right?

Any suggestions would be awesome.

I do a #10 against the hair growth... it's short, but they aren't bald. Otherwise a #10 with the hair won't take nearly as much off. I wouldn't go any larger blade wise - as the bigger the number the more it takes off! (ie #40 equals surgical!)
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Quote Originally Posted by ToesIn View Post
    Hello all, it is barely fall and it is already time to clip Mr. Fuzzy Britches. It's so hot down here in FL and his coat is already starting to come in. I imagine that I will be clipping him this weekend or next and then again in a month or two when the rest of his coat comes in.

I have size 10 blades but last year he went from looking fuzzy and cute to mousy and bald, yuck. What's a good length that will leave him looking more natural? The smaller the size of the blade the longer the hair left, right?

Any suggestions would be awesome.

A #7 is about as long as you can go on a horse and not have it look like you shoved the poor thing into a blender. Not a big fan though, if I'm clipping I want the darn horse clipped. I usually clip with a #15 against the hair. You'll get that 'mousy' look regardless on the darker coats, but I've never had one come out looking bald.

This is my MFT mare, about a week out from being bodyclipped with a #15 reverse.
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=29492556

Not sure how you made one bald with a #10?

a #10 is the standard for body clipping, some of them do look kinda funny at first especially chestnuts. if you are going to show after clipping give yourself atleast 2 weeks in case you don't do a good job.

a mare i use to show went from bay to the cutest seal brown color, i loved it. i am worried how my chestnut pinto will clip out since i have never seen him clipped.

I'd stick with a #10 if I were you.

A couple years ago I had a big national show in October that I bodyclipped for a wee bit too early. By the time the show rolled around mare was just a bit too fuzzy. I clipped her with a #9 as she was chestnut and tended to look pretty gross right after being clipped with 10s. Turned out perfectly, but of course the clip only lasted a week or two.

I once accidentally clipped with a #30. It was pretty horrible looking. Thankfully, the only thing between a good clip and a bad clip is about 2-3 weeks!

I'd never clip with anything but a #10. I also have minis and in that part of the horse world, the minis are often clipped with #30's or more. I think they look really naked and not so good. I clip my minis with a #10. Have to do it every four weeks but still ... they look good.
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

Ok, so I should clip him with #40s?

Just kidding, thanks for the input guys, I'll clip him with the #10s. Wish he would just keep his summer coat year round. Oh well.